If you had to pick

Gents, let's be real, this is probably the only chance in our lifetime for Iowa to have a Wooden award winner. Most of us have seen a Sweet 16 appearance, and indeed, we were a shot away from it last season.

Even if Garza comes back next season, he is not going to be able to stuff stats the way he has this year because we will be much deeper and more balanced.

Take the once in a life time event when you can. We will see another Sweet 16 soon enough -- probably next year.

I'll take Sweet 16 every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Basketball isn't like baseball where individual accolades are an important and celebrated part of the game. College basketball is built on one premise....survive and advance in the NCAA tournament.

I still remember like it was yesterday when Iowa pulled away from Arkansas to make the Sweet 16 in 1999 and we took UCONN to the wire. But I sure as hell don't remember anything else about that season.

Give me the Sweet 16.

I am going Wooden Award , wherever we end up in the BTT or in the NCAAs , Luka is taking us there , let him have the award, down the road we will all remember having one of ours make that achievement , probably not so much about a sweet 16 appearance ………… and yes I agree with a previous thought , Luka will say Sweet 16

Having the Wooden award winner and not making the sweet 16 would be kind of sad.

The good news is it looks like Garza is sitting really good for the award right now. I could see them giving it to the Dayton kid though just to say hey we gave it to a mid major player.

Anyway hopefully we could do both. Gun to head if I had to pick I’d say sweet 16. The wooden award is not like the Heisman where people actually remember and care about who won it.

Honestly thinking about the vastly entertaining year these guys have given us, and how hard they are working and giving it out there despite all the adversity......hope for a deep run in the tourney. That would be a great memory for them for this season and set them up well for next year when we make the final four run. This we know....luka is big ten player of the year. We know ESPN is already trying to hose him out of player of the year, so give them the run, let him get the big ten player of the year this year, and then deeper run next year.

Would you rather Garza win the Wooden Award, or Iowa makes it to the Sweet 16?

I am going with Wooden. Having the best player in MBB would be historic for a program like Iowa. While I am as hungry for a tourney run as anyone, I think I would take the individual accolade.

Now, an Elite 8 run is a tougher call and if the question is Final Four, sorry Luka.

Sweet 16.

Would you rather Garza win the Wooden Award, or Iowa makes it to the Sweet 16?

I am going with Wooden. Having the best player in MBB would be historic for a program like Iowa. While I am as hungry for a tourney run as anyone, I think I would take the individual accolade.

Now, an Elite 8 run is a tougher call and if the question is Final Four, sorry Luka.
Salty Q I like it. I'll go with Garza only because both of those should be earned and I think he's already done that. If we get to beating folks and get to sweet 16 or better great. But Garza to me should already have it. If he weren't to get it would be a con job. If we don't get to the sweet 16 it probably won't be because of something like that but ya never know..

Salty Q I like it. I'll go with Garza only because both of those should be earned and I think he's already done that. If we get to beating folks and get to sweet 16 or better great. But Garza to me should already have it. If he weren't to get it would be a con job. If we don't get to the sweet 16 it probably won't be because of something like that but ya never know..
I disagree that he should already have it. Its THE BEST player in the nation. He cant play 5 shitty games to close and still get it. I think the only thing he has locked up is 1st team all conference.

Interesting takes. I stand by my thoughts.

Switching to the analogous question in football, would you rather Iowa win a really good bowl and finish 8th in the final AP polling, or have a Heisman winner? Again, I would take the latter.
Sweet 16 and top 8 over individual performance awards every time.

Sweet 16. Team achievements always trump individual ones. And when teams succeed the individual awards follow.

Would you rather deny the rest of the TEAM their possibly once in a lifetime experience/memory of a sweet 16 run in exchange for ONE individual to have theirs? No way hosea. Luka wouldn't give it a second thought.

Frank says both. You can't put in the amount of work Luka has done and not want both.....we all want both, don't we?

I disagree that he should already have it. Its THE BEST player in the nation. He cant play 5 shitty games to close and still get it. I think the only thing he has locked up is 1st team all conference.
Well my take is based off of that if season stopped today or if he were to maintain his averages and not have 5 shitty games he'd have already earned it. I agree he can't average 10 pts and 3 rebounds these last 5 games and still get it especially with Smith putting up 22 pts and 19 boards last night. Garza still has to bring it for sure. But he's the leader in the clubhouse for it if he doesn't fall off a cliff.

Latest posts