If you had to chose...

HawkIreign

between Clayborn, Spievey and Bulaga who would you most like to see back and why?

For me Spievey is the easy choice. As much as I love Clayborn and Bulaga it just seems like we reload at those positions and not so much at corner.

I think Clayborn is the easiest choice...without dominant defensive linemen our entire defense struggles. We usually rush 4 and play off in the secondary...if we don't get pressure on the qb with our d linemen decent offenses can really move the ball on us. I think Clayborn is the best d lineman we've had in the past decade.

I do agree that Spievey will be the most difficult to replace...but Clayborn makes the biggest difference out there.

Clayborn

Spievey is a stud but with Prater and Bernstiene (sp?) you have some quality DB's to replace him

I think Clayborn is the easiest choice...without dominant defensive linemen our entire defense struggles. We usually rush 4 and play off in the secondary...if we don't get pressure on the qb with our d linemen decent offenses can really move the ball on us. I think Clayborn is the best d lineman we've had in the past decade.

I do agree that Spievey will be the most difficult to replace...but Clayborn makes the biggest difference out there.

I basically agree with you but when have we not had someone that was ready to step in and fill the void on the D-line. You can't say the same about CB. Sure you can argue for Bernstine but in reality he's done very little as a Hawkeye.

I basically agree with you but when have we not had someone that was ready to step in and fill the void on the D-line. You can't say the same about CB. Sure you can argue for Bernstine but in reality he's done very little as a Hawkeye.

Agreed. The thing that I'm looking at is that when we've got pressure up front and good safeties we've been able to make it work with some...in my opinion...pretty pour corners. I was never a big fan of AA or JJ...but they played on winning teams for years.

Agreed. The thing that I'm looking at is that when we've got pressure up front and good safeties we've been able to make it work with some...in my opinion...pretty pour corners. I was never a big fan of AA or JJ...but they played on winning teams for years.

Good point but I love the fact that Spievey is going to basically take his man out of the game.

I might actually take Bulaga as my choice. We lose Eubanks, Moeaki, Calloway and probably Dace from the Oline. Bulaga would add a lot to our Oline stability if he comes back. Without him, we practically have to rebuild our whole oline.

I might actually take Bulaga as my choice. We lose Eubanks, Moeaki, Calloway and probably Dace from the Oline. Bulaga would add a lot to our Oline stability if he comes back. Without him, we practically have to rebuild our whole oline.

I agree, Bulaga, for the same reasons stated.

That's good reasoning for Bulaga...we rely heavily on our offensive line but I'm not convinced that Reilly Reiff can't be every bit as good if not better than Bulaga was this year.

That's good reasoning for Bulaga...we rely heavily on our offensive line but I'm not convinced that Reilly Reiff can't be every bit as good if not better than Bulaga was this year.

That's why I think Bulaga needs to come back. He just wasnt' nearly as dominant as people expected.

That being said this bowl game will tell us alot about him, since he's had a month to regain some of the strength he probably lost due to the illness. Also, he'll be going up against a 1st round draft pick and arguably the best DE in the draft. Scouts will get a good idea about him following that game, if he shuts Morgan (I believe that's his name) down then it may be hard not to leave based on what would likely be a mid 1st round selection.

Riley Reiff probably could be every bit as good as Bulaga but when you already lose, Richardson, Calloway and Eubanks on the O-Line, you are really hurting without Bulaga. The only 2 players left that have proven anything on the O-Line would be Vandevelde and Reiff. That is not good.

I'll be interested to see if Vandervelde moves in to C this coming season as was rumored might happen prior to '09. Hopefully Koeppel or Ferentz can nail the job down leaving Vandervelde to stay at one of the G positions. We've seen some from Gettis but he's fallen off of the 2 deeps lately. I'd guess the starters next year would be from left to right - Reiff, Gettis, Ferentz, Vandervelde, MacMillan with Zusevics, Orne, and Koeppel in the mix as well. That would be a lot of breaking in, of course having Bulaga come back and Henderson commit would solve a lot of those issues :)

Agreed. The guy is a freak of nature. He makes opposing coaches worry and changes blocking schemes. We for once have a lot of talent at CB. I was also extremely dissappointed in Bulaga this year. He wasn't even the best OL on the left side of our line!