1) Northern Illinois or Iowa State (at home) NOPE, NEITHER WILL BE L
2) at Michigan State LOSS
3) Penn State (at home) NO WAY WE LOSE THIS ONE
4) at Northwestern LOSS
5) at Michigan LOSS
6) Nebraska LOSS

Big 10 wins: Minn, at Indiana, Purdue

That is going to be a long year!

I am a combination of DexterMorgan and smarthawk.....do not know how to quote two poster in a single post. I should not be disappointed with a 6-6 record, but I will be. If they get off to a 5-0 or 4-1 start I think they will be fine 2+ losses in the first 5 games and it is going to be a long year with a lot of growing pains.

I am a combination of DexterMorgan and smarthawk.....do not know how to quote two poster in a single post. I should not be disappointed with a 6-6 record, but I will be. If they get off to a 5-0 or 4-1 start I think they will be fine 2+ losses in the first 5 games and it is going to be a long year with a lot of growing pains.

Do you remember back when Ferentz teams got better as the year went on? They were really tough to beat in October and nearly invincible in November. Man, that was awesome.

Given the schedule- specifically what our opponents lose, 8-4 should be the floor. The defense drastically improved throughout the season last year and while it may be rough early should imrove throughout next season as well. Iowa's offense has the ability to be a top 3 Ferentz era unit due to schedule, JVB returning (and improving) and the potential of the o-line.
The key to the season imo is consistency on offense. If the offense averages 30 ppg that means nothing, but if they score at least 20 points in every game and punish weaker defenses (ISU, NIU, Indiana, Northwestern, etc) this will carry the season to at least 8 wins.

I don't disagree with you Droid. I would just add talent, and expected results are not always one in the same in college athletics.Not at Iowa anyway. I sat through the 2009 season, and kept thinking we're not this good. I sat through the 2010 season, and could not believe that NWN and Minny should have even been on the same field as we were.

I agree with everything here. Never know I guess. I honestly think greg davis is a major upgrade to our offense and hope nico can be bob sanders. A lot of things have to fall our way for a great year. I thought we were that good in 09 but had a disgusting offensive philosophy with all that talent. Same with 08. I think that team was bcs good.
And to the other posters talking about talent, yes we have some extremely young talent on the team. Veteran talent is what wins championships. I expect a lot of big hits. I also expect to get beat deep a lot because of blitzing to hide our d-line. I also don't have a lot of faith in either kmm or keenan. And a great o line is not enough to have a good running game. This is a timing o line philosophy. Greg garmon will have to be the best rb on the team for us to have a great running game, unless we use brad rogers. I think brad could mask our weak backfield if given the chance.
I wasn't at the spring game so I didn't see anyone. I just think our d is middle to bottom tier of the big ten. I think a great offensive mind can create offense. If greg davis is that good then yes we can win 9. A freshman wr will have to suprise as well. A lot of unknowns need to fall our way.

I think some people are forgetting that every B1G team has had attrition at key spots. MSU losing Cousins, and top 2 WR along with some OL is definately going to have an impact on them. NW losing quite a bit, all across the board teams lost quite a bit of experience so IA to finish 9th in the B1G is a slap in the face and I hope they take it that way.

You can call it whatever you want Golfer, but we don't have one skill position player on offense that as of now will get an honorable mention for all conference honors. Same goes for the DL.

Are you talking about preseason selections? Otherwise the point is irrelevant because you have no idea what the guys who are stepping in to fill vacated roles will do.

Tons of players go from not being an all conference selection one year to being one the next year.

CJ Fedorowitz will almost certainly make an all conference team, probably first team and being that most of the top QBs form last year are gone Vandenburg is very likely to make an all conferencet team as well.

Also say what you will about Keenan Davis, he has all the talent and athleticism to be one of the top receivers in the league if he cuts out the drops.

I don't buy this talk of a much improved D-Line, we lost our best players in Binns and Daniel. Will the current guys be better than last year? Of course, but will they be as good as last years mediocre unit? No, of course not and there is nothign to suggest they will be.

I think they meant improved over the spring, not compared to last year.

There is some talent on the line its just extremely young and probably a year away.

On the talent topic: I think the problem is that nobody really knows much about the kids coming in and a lot of our best players are leaving. Not many of the remaining skill position players have made a strong positive impact. Who's going to be our #1 receiver? KD? Will he limit it to fewer than 5 drops per game? Let's hope so. CJF has done some good things but we haven't seen him do too much because they don't throw to him enough, will that change? How will the RB position compare to last year? Nobody knows. Is Prater's replacement better, worse, or the same? How about Bernstine's? How about Binns's and Mike's? Can you count on DA to be a difference maker? Will somebody teach JVB how to read a blitz?

It isn't exactly safe to assume every replacement player is/will be better than we expect them to be. There's a lot of questions here that aren't answered very easily or with very many examples. That's why people are pessimistic. I predict 7-5 like a lot of other people because there isn't much reason to assume otherwise, except for "Well they COULD be better". They could be worse too.

It's like if you're going to get into a fight with somebody, if you've got no experience fighting it's dangerous to assume you can fight better than the person you're about to fight. I'm not sure we can objectively say "They're going to be worse this year, we aren't" because we have no clue yet.

With new information comes new opinions and new debate. I just hope we aren't 6-6, that would be unbearable. UGH! Makes me sick thinking of it.

I think we could surprise some people this year. The TE's are incredibly talented ... Plus, the back 7 is as talented and as athletic as we have ever seen..

two things I disagree with here:
1. CJF is incredibly talented. The other TE's are either too skinny & inexperienced to block B10 DL & LBers, or too slow & stone-handed to take pressure off our thin WR corp.

2. The back FOUR might be as talented and athletic a unit as we have ever seen, but our LBers are nowhere close to that. Remember Greenway, Hodge, Steen/Lewis/Miles (2003-04-05)? Edds, Angerer, Hunter (2008-09)? I am afraid that, as much as we all love the local All-american kid James Morris, he has not yet delivered on the unfortunate hype that Norm Parker lavished on him last spring that made us all salivate prior to his sophomore year. IMO, he is still too light and too late to the ball; at least that is what I thought I saw yesterday. (watch him in the Nico Law highlight clip--it's 2011 all over again).

I want James and Christian and Hitchens to have break-through seasons and cause me to eat my words.

the tes have good size. duzey might be a little small at 235 but he is the smallest. everyone else is 240+ (i believe). i dont know how big you want a te but 245 is about normal for a te. and that is right around where our guys are.

hamilton and kreiger-koble (sp?) have good measurables and both were very good athletes in hs. i get derby doesnt have great hands but we seem to be 5 deep. 1 truely proven guy and 1 solid back up but 3 guys with a lot of talent and promise and i dont know the last time iowa has missed on tes (maybe herman but i was never convinced he was a true #1 but better as a #2).

I'm still trying to get used to saying Legends and Leaders and not feeling gay about it. Also, 7-5 is the absolute floor this year. No way we fall to 6-6. Don't know where the wins come, I'm sure we will upset someone and we will lose to someone who ends at 3-9. That's the Iowa way!

We can show up and go 6-6.

Bad year...7-5

Good year...9-3 or better

Kurt has shown by losing to Minny two years in a row that your statement is false.

Every team that Iowa plays this year will be better than both of the Minnesota teams that they lost to.

If you go around the league boards and read their impressions of their teams after spring games....everyone projects themselves as 0-8 in the league.

NW- their fans said their o-line was beyond horrendous. Kane Colter,QB, was horrible.
And this was against a d-line that was dead last in the league last year in sacks,and lost two of their best guys. They also said their secondary was terrible.
So, lets review...NW's bad o-line vs Iowa's shaky d-line...push. NW's average d-line against Iowa's solid o-line...Iowa. Iowa's vet QB against a terrible seconday..Iowa. Iowa's solid secondary vs NW's horrible QB...Iowa. Iowa will win in Evanston this year.

Illinois was 4 of 20 in third down conversions going into their 4th quarter,between the two sides. Scheelhasse and O'Toole struggled.

IU's qb was able to run thru their defense like swiss cheese...Iowa will be faster this year and he will not make a living off of our back 7 running the ball....they won 1 game last year, I like our chances.

The last time Minny beat Iowa in Kinnick? Been awhile. I like Iowa.
PSU,Neb,Mich,and MSU are games we probably lose,but PSU is a tossup. Otherwise,Iowa will be right in there.

Latest posts