If Wisconsin wins tonight,...

rchawkeye

The Big Ten will have won the National Championship in both Football and Men's Basketball, by far the 2 biggest NCAA sports.

Throw in second tier sports like Wrestling and Women's Volleyball and the Big Ten has had a great year.

ESPN can't be happy.

The Big Ten will have won the National Championship in both Football and Men's Basketball, by far the 2 biggest NCAA sports.

Throw in second tier sports like Wrestling and Women's Volleyball and the Big Ten has had a great year.

ESPN can't be happy.

And after Iowa wins the College World Series we'll really have a reason to crow.

ESPN can't be happy.

Why would ESPN be unhappy? They just throw money at the B1G. Wait until ABC/ESPN renegotiates the TV contract after the 2016 football season. The amount of the contract will be mind blowing. The B1G has more TV sets than anybody. That's why they get more money. I don't get why people think ABC/ESPN has a bias against the B1G. Regardless of what you thing, when the B1G says jump - ABC/ESPN asks how high.

Why would ESPN be unhappy? They just throw money at the B1G. Wait until ABC/ESPN renegotiates the TV contract after the 2016 football season. The amount of the contract will be mind blowing. The B1G has more TV sets than anybody. That's why they get more money. I don't get why people think ABC/ESPN has a bias against the B1G. Regardless of what you thing, when the B1G says jump - ABC/ESPN asks how high.

I've got 7 tv's in my house alone. 8 if you count the 19" tv/dvd combo sitting in my storage room.

I've got 7 tv's in my house alone. 8 if you count the 19" tv/dvd combo sitting in my storage room.

And who the hell doesn't have one of these bad boys?

zenithf.jpg

Oh ya baby....

the whole big ten network thing is why.

Because ESPN partnered with Texas for the Longhorn network and partnered with the SEC for the SEC network. ESPN gets nothing from the BTN.

I agree with you though that ESPN/ABC still televise a lot of B1G games and make a ton of money from them.

van halen jump - YouTube Sorry , I can't help it!

That's not true. The BIG was the first conference to start their own TV network and ESPN has done everything in their power to devalue that decision. And they did it for several reasons. ESPN has enjoyed a monopoly on sports for a long time. The BIG launching a successful sports network will only encourage other conferences to do the same. That drives the prices of the contracts way up. ESPN had been dictating the costs of those contracts in the past and when the BIG wanted more money than ESPN was offering, ESPN told them to "take it or leave it". It also put ESPN in a position of having to choose 1 conference to champion (SEC) or be left out of the picture. This isn't a short term issue for ABC/ESPN. This is a long term issue and I think it will eventually cost ESPN a very large part of the sports network market. Probably half or more by 2030. IMO.
This situation is also compounded by the DVR option. The cost of advertising during a sports program cannot sustain it's current cost trajectory due to the ability of viewers to record and FF through the ads. I could be mistaken, of course.

LOL. Yeah, it's all luck. Keep telling yourself that.

So what is their magic trick? Every coaching hire, practically every recruit seems to fit into exactly with what they want to do. The last 25 years or so they haven't had a identity crisis, they know who they are and how to go about it.

So what is their magic trick? Every coaching hire, practically every recruit seems to fit into exactly with what they want to do. The last 25 years or so they haven't had a identity crisis, they know who they are and how to go about it.
It's NOT luck. It's Barry Alvarez. When you have an AD that is personally invested in a program, especially a money sport and is a highly competitive person, you have that kind of success. You need not worry. When Barry Alvarez is gone, they will go right back to where they were. Guys like him don't come around very often. With the salaries that today's money sport coaches are making, not many want to be an AD.

It's NOT luck. It's Barry Alvarez. When you have an AD that is personally invested in a program, especially a money sport and is a highly competitive person, you have that kind of success. You need not worry. When Barry Alvarez is gone, they will go right back to where they were. Guys like him don't come around very often. With the salaries that today's money sport coaches are making, not many want to be an AD.

It was Pat Richter that turned the Wisconsin athletic department around. Richter hired Barry, Stu Jackson, Bennett & Ryan. Can Barry keep up with Richter's success. I don't know, but he is already on his third football coach.