If we land Rodney Coe

I think he would almost be like a John Clay. A bruiser but with a bit more speed. I think he could play RB/LB.

Most folks thought that Clay would make a better LB than RB too ... and many places were recruiting him as such too.

It would seem that he ended up doing alright at RB ....

Most folks thought that Clay would make a better LB than RB too ... and many places were recruiting him as such too.

It would seem that he ended up doing alright at RB ....

Coe would make for a good running back, no doubt. But I hope he doesn't end up like Clay physically. I'm just not a fan of a back that's THAT big. Greene was about the limit for me, and he had good speed.

I'm also kind of concerned about how we'd make room for him. A-Rob is here for another 2 years, Coker for three, plus Johnson, Gordon, and possibly (serious long shot) Wegher. I know that our depth tends to be meaningless at running back, but that's a lot of guys at one position.

Coe would make for a good running back, no doubt. But I hope he doesn't end up like Clay physically. I'm just not a fan of a back that's THAT big. Greene was about the limit for me, and he had good speed.

I'm also kind of concerned about how we'd make room for him. A-Rob is here for another 2 years, Coker for three, plus Johnson, Gordon, and possibly (serious long shot) Wegher. I know that our depth tends to be meaningless at running back, but that's a lot of guys at one position.

If Coe redshirts:

Arob= senior
Hampton= senior (with possible 6th year if he wants it)
Coker= Junior
Johnson= Sophomore
Gordon= RS FR or So
Coe= RS FR

Gordon and Johnson are different types of backs than Coker and Coe, so that would be a nice change, and I think if he's good enough to play he will.

If Coe redshirts:

Arob= senior
Coker= Junior
Johnson= Sophomore
Gordon= RS FR or So
Coe= RS FR

Gordon and Johnson are different types of backs than Coker and Coe, so that would be a nice change, and I think if he's good enough to play he will.

I'm not so sure he redshirts though. The past few years, we've let guys who were physically ready to play get in on special teams so that they can get accustomed to the speed of the college game. And the guys who aren't physically mature enough get redshirts to get a year under Doyle.

Maybe we break that trend in Coe's case. But that's another reason why I can see him moving to linebacker, where he might be able to make a bigger impact.

I'm not so sure he redshirts though. The past few years, we've let guys who were physically ready to play get in on special teams so that they can get accustomed to the speed of the college game. And the guys who aren't physically mature enough get redshirts to get a year under Doyle.

Maybe we break that trend in Coe's case. But that's another reason why I can see him moving to linebacker, where he might be able to make a bigger impact.

Very true. I'm sure he's aware of the depth chart, and if he wants to be a RB he may prefer to be RS. I know he has said that he wants to play RB so that's how Iowa is recruiting him for sure and he'll get his chance. If he works there great, if not move him to LB. If he is that good of a RB better than Coker and the rest then please please play him at RB. If not then he can move easily. IF (I think it's a bigger if than some think) he comes to Iowa, they need to use him at his best strength which sounds like it's RB

This is why I think he would benefit going to Iowa (also because I'm biased but thats beside the point). If he starts out at RB and then decides he would like to change to LB to get some PT quicker I'm sure the coaches wouldn't mind at all or vise versa.

If Coe redshirts:

Arob= senior
Coker= Junior
Johnson= Sophomore
Gordon= RS FR or So
Coe= RS FR

Kind of a Thunder and Lightning type of deal.
Coe to pound-pound-pound, then Gordon to juke you out of your shorts.
I like the idea alot.

Iowa has had poor depth at RB more recently ... and that's a primary reason why we've been giving them the early nod if they've proven that they're physically ready. A big reason why we've needed them to be "physically ready" is because they were also being expected to handle the blocking responsibilities of the job too.

My favorite Iowa RB to watch block in recent years has been Hampton. The dude hits hard when he enters a block ... I love the fact that he entered blocks without backing down. I can't wait until he heals up and gets a full chance to shine!

Anyhow, as for Coe, if Iowa's depth dictates it ... I think that he very well could redshirt. I think that a lot of it depends on the health of the others and what he brings to the table.

Right now, even if Coe were to commit to Iowa, I still think that Gordon would be the guy who'd be most likely to play early. Gordon's versatility helps to set him apart from some of the other guys we have.

Iowa has had poor depth at RB more recently ... and that's a primary reason why we've been giving them the early nod if they've proven that they're physically ready. A big reason why we've needed them to be "physically ready" is because they were also being expected to handle the blocking responsibilities of the job too.

My favorite Iowa RB to watch block in recent years has been Hampton. The dude hits hard when he enters a block ... I love the fact that he entered blocks without backing down. I can't wait until he heals up and gets a full chance to shine!

Anyhow, as for Coe, if Iowa's depth dictates it ... I think that he very well could redshirt. I think that a lot of it depends on the health of the others and what he brings to the table.

Right now, even if Coe were to commit to Iowa, I still think that Gordon would be the guy who'd be most likely to play early. Gordon's versatility helps to set him apart from some of the other guys we have.

Ya, I'm thinking Gordon could be more like James White from WI. Let's hope so anyway.

Latest posts