If we can do this...our season has major upside.

WinOneThisCentury

Pass protect would be my answer. Damn, I watched the Michigan game again and it's a wonder we won that game. CJ was not holding the ball, he had 2 seconds to get rid of it. I'm sorry, but you have three seniors, a junior at center, and 3 guys with experience competing for the other spot. I'm hoping Polesak can get these guys sync'd up in pass pro. I know it's more than just the OL that protects against the blitz, but damn, we have to improve here or the kitchen sink keeps coming. We have to make defenses pay for the aggressiveness. Teams knew they only had to defend for three seconds, so they sat on short routes. That has to change.

I for one am sick & damn-tired of opposing defenses insulting us... just daring us to throw deep on them as they sit back in man coverage, knowing it won't happen.
BF - PLEASE, PLEASE SURPRISE US ALL BY FALLING FAR FROM THE TREE!

The OP took what would be my first answer so instead I'll go with our DL being able to provide a consistent pass rush. Although our CB's have seen action, all of them will be first time full season starters. The defense will also be breaking in a new starter at Brandon Snyder's safety spot. The experience from the group will come from Miles Taylor who has plenty of experience, but the last we seen him, he played poorly and was benched. If the pass rush is solid, that will help the secondary grow and put them in less positions to be exposed. On top of that, that means they won't give up a ton of points. I think the offense will run the ball just fine, but I'm not counting on the QB to make the offense explosive. If the DL plays well and keeps us in games, the QB can get by managing the game. It's not my ideal scenario overall, but it's ideal for what we got.

Run defense will be the key to this season. If we find two mighty DTs to clog the middle, and lbs who wrapup time and again, this will be a season littered with victories. The D will almost certainly need to carry the team for the first few games but after that the brain's O will come into its own and lay waste to opponents.

I for one am sick & damn-tired of opposing defenses insulting us... just daring us to throw deep on them as they sit back in man coverage, knowing it won't happen.
BF - PLEASE, PLEASE SURPRISE US ALL BY FALLING FAR FROM THE TREE!

Once we complete a few over the top for big yards or a TD... opposing defenses will have to go back to the drawing board. They've had IOWA dialed in for so long... it would be great for them to actually have to prepare to play us. And yes...the running lanes will really open up once they have to back up and play honest.

What we need are receivers that can catch the ball and can run deep routes that won't take them 10 minutes

let's hope the cream rises to the top with this young crop of WRs... the competition will bring out the best in them. Kelton Copeland may have the most important coaching position on the team right now.

let's hope the cream rises to the top with this young crop of WRs... the competition will bring out the best in them. Kelton Copeland may have the most important coaching position on the team right now.
Easley and the incoming freshman have a great opportunity for some immediate impact at WR. I just hope we keep it simple with some basic routes (down the field) the first part of the season so these guys can build some confidence and timing with the new QB. They can add more routes and a few wrinkles for these new guys once we get in to the B1G schedule. We also have some decent speed at the TE position we should send over the top to stretch the field.

Latest posts