If this is true, what does it do to recruiting?

Might help for some who want to come in and play right away.

I would hope so, but I think some kids will get scared away by all the problems. aka Gordon. We are going to need to reload. especially at WR. I think that Grant will play a lot next year- maybe erase DJK from top of the record books. I hope some commits don't rethink their choices either.

It goes both ways. On one side it's good for some of these recruits because they are going to have a chance to make an impact as soon as they step on campus. That's a huge selling point.

On the other hand however, parents expect the coach to be the intermediary that guides their child from the teenage years to young adulthood. If the coach can't keep things in order in the program, the parents will push their kids to go elsewhere.

Yes, they could sell playing right away, but being a father, I would have a hard time sending my kids to a school that has had so many drug and alcohol related issues under KF. I know you have to trust that you raised your kids to do the right thing, but sports should be helping to keep these kids out of trouble. Instead, it seems like it's the golden ticket to the party train. That would make me think twice about sending my kid to Iowa. However, maybe it's that way everywhere, and just much more public at UI

If the majority of the rumors being spread turn out to be false, then what kind of negative effect did the fans who were hell bent on spreading those unsubstantiated rumors, have on the recruiting of their favorite team?

If the majority of the rumors being spread turn out to be false, then what kind of negative effect did the fans who were hell bent on spreading those unsubstantiated rumors, have on the recruiting of their favorite team?

Jon - Thank you for trying to be the voice of reason in the fire storm of my girlfriend's, brother's, boss' wife just heard............. Merry Christmas and GO HAWKS!

It's hard for me to understand how Hawkeye fans are not willing to give the team they root for the benefit of the doubt until (and if it happens) official word either does or does not come. IF, IF that word does come, there will be plenty of time to discuss them.

Jon -

Until KF comes out and either confirms or debunks the rumors, then speculation and hearsay are bound to occur. Due to KF's strong character I believe he will drug test the whole team and take appropriate disciplinary action. Crisis management 101 is to immediately fact find and address the issue. I believe this is now going on behind the scenes. An announcement either way should occur this week. As a coach you need to take direct action to stop the flow. Without an announcement you leave your team as fair game to speculation and rumor.

It's hard for me to understand how Hawkeye fans are not willing to give the team they root for the benefit of the doubt until (and if it happens) official word either does or does not come. IF, IF that word does come, there will be plenty of time to discuss them.

I tend to agree with you--but when it happens to the all-time leading receiver at the school you root root root for, surface perception can often lead to it can happen anywhere and everywhere. Plenty of time doesn't always work for everyone unfortunately in our "be the first to know" society- where most are focused on being first rather than being right and if they get to be first AND be right, it's an added bonus.

What I don't understand is how people can feel comfortable spreading many of these "rumors", unless they are simply habitual liars are have an agenda to tear down the Hawkeye football team.

I know one of the players, and have a couple of friends close to the team, and, for the most part, even the players don't seem to know a whole lot about what is going on right now. They are hearing most of the rumors as we do (from other sources such as the boards). Even if they did know, they have been asked to focus on preparing for the bowl game and to be very careful what they tell others (even friends) outside of the program.

I talked to one of them last night (about the Jewel facebook) and he didn't know anything about Jewel leaving. He thought the facebook message was probably a sarcastic reply to hearing the rumors that Jewel and ARob had been kicked off the team. That doesn't necessarily mean that Jewel isn't gone (the fact that the facebook message is still up makes me wonder), but if he is, the info hadn't really spread across the team as of last night.

I have talked to 2 of the 3 since DJK was busted, and both were very surprised. There are always rumors of drugs on the team (and if it were about just pot, well, I think we would be hard-pressed to find many people at U of I (students or teachers) that haven't used pot), but DJK wasn't one of those guys that was associated with it.

I guess I just don't understand the need some posters have to speak about these types of situations before anything concrete is even determined.

As far as recruiting, I would imagine those that have committed or are thinking of committing to the Hawkeyes are excited about their future and are looking for all the info they can get about their new team. Unfortunately their internet search will probably lead them to forums similar to this one, where they'll see all of these rumors and innuendo posted. Even if they turn out to be totally false, the bad taste will be left in their mouth anyway.

Would it kill anybody to just keep their mouth shut until something official comes out?

It could work the other way. What if parents are pleased that a coach is taking action instead of sweeping it under the rug?

Ahhh but then you can't be the know it all that told everyone first.
The anonymity of internet message boards was bound to breed a whole new culture of people without integrity of any kind.

It doesn't matter anymore if it is true or not, the damage is done. All we have when we walk into a recruits house is the fact that we develop players and KF does things the right way. Now I'm sure that some rumors are nothing but lies and others have some sort of truth in them. No matter what, our all time leading receiver spent his time in Iowa City living in the middle of a drug ring, all under the nose of the coaching staff. We can't walk in to recruits house and say we do things the right way for a long time.

Some Hawkeye fans like to be the center of attention more so than looking out for the best interest of their favorite (or in some cases not so favorite) team.

Latest posts