If Stevens leaves for Oregon...

Apparently he spoke at one of their rah rah rallies this week and was very well recieved.
So maybe?

I would hope for Coach Lickliter that he would get the chance to coach again. He of course was in way over his head at Iowa and the program is better off going in a different direction. Going back to Butler would be great for his comfort level and he would probably never leave again. I'm glad to see the Hawkeyes under a new coach but wish Lickliter well in whatever he does.

I would hope for Coach Lickliter that he would get the chance to coach again. He of course was in way over his head at Iowa and the program is better off going in a different direction. Going back to Butler would be great for his comfort level and he would probably never leave again. I'm glad to see the Hawkeyes under a new coach but wish Lickliter well in whatever he does.

For the last time, he wasn't in "way over his head". I agree that it just didn't work out and he made mistakes but it wasn't due to incompetence. Sometimes, you just make mistakes, take a wrong approach and suffer bad luck. That combination can doom anyone. But the "way over his head" reference isn't fair to the man IMO.

Interesting questions. My first thought is that if Lick ends up back at Butler, does he become a lifer there?

One of Raftery's favorite lines. All his other lines were taken. If a player bites on a fake (aka getting faked out of his jock), Raftery likes to go with "a little swirling lingerie!" or..."a little lingerie on the deck!"

I love Raftery. It's a shame they let Nantz and Packer do all those Final Fours when guys like Raftery and Lundquist were available.

For the last time, he wasn't in "way over his head". I agree that it just didn't work out and he made mistakes but it wasn't due to incompetence. Sometimes, you just make mistakes, take a wrong approach and suffer bad luck. That combination can doom anyone. But the "way over his head" reference isn't fair to the man IMO.

I would disagree. He didn't understand how to recruit the players nessesary to win, didn't adjust his coaching style at all to fit the players or the Big Ten and didn't do a damn thing to connect himself to the Iowa Hawkeye fans, former players or current players. That to me sounds like he wasn't prepared or ready for the job and after 3 years it was getting worse. I will stop using "way over his head"

Swirlin, I love the name. I don't see Lickliter going back, you can never go back home.

I'm loving the McCaffery hire, but I wonder if Iowa would have gotten a recruiting bump with Lickliter right now due to Butler's prominence. Who knows?

Swirlin, I love the name. I don't see Lickliter going back, you can never go back home.

I'm loving the McCaffery hire, but I wonder if Iowa would have gotten a recruiting bump with Lickliter right now due to Butler's prominence. Who knows?

I'm on board with FM, too. But I, too, am beginning to wonder if Lick was on the long road to rebuilding the program -- albeit with a few bumps and potholes along the way -- and we took away the keys prematurely. That was largely Lick's team that took Duke to the final seconds of the championship game.

I'm on board with FM, too. But I, too, am beginning to wonder if Lick was on the long road to rebuilding the program -- albeit with a few bumps and potholes along the way -- and we took away the keys prematurely. That was largely Lick's team that took Duke to the final seconds of the championship game.

I like Lick and wish him well in the future. However, I find the idea going around that this Butler team was "largely" Lick's is not accurate in my opinion. The best player on Butler is obviously Haywerd, who is a sophomore. I think the 2nd best is Mack, who I think is absolutely outstanding. He is also a sophomore. Some may argue that Howard is 2nd best although he had trouble staying on the floor all year. He did commit to Coach Lickliter, but he never played for him, and as much as we are all about recruiting at hawkeyenation these days, something has to be said for player development. Arguably their 4th best player is Nored, also a sophomore. The only guy in the rotation that ever played for Lick was William Veasley, who started. I don't think it is fair to Brad Stevens to give Lickliter credit for his team. This Butler team belonged to Lickliter as much as this Iowa team belongs to Alford.

I agree with Barta that Lickliter is still a good coach, but he needed to go. I am normally always for giving a coach 4 years, but this was not a normal situation. He didn't create all of the problems. Some were just bad luck I am sure. The administration didn't help him out much. But regardless, there was just too much attrition and too much apathy. The only thing left to do was make a change.

And by the way, Butler has a SF coming in next year from Florida rated higher than any recruit Lickliter has brought into Iowa.

Like I said, I think Lickliter is a good guy and a good coach. But I am so glad

I think saying it was largely Lick's team is a bit of a stretch. I understand he recruited many of those kids. But there was obviously some incredible coaching that took place the past three years. And consider that Stevens outcoached Boehim, Martin, Izzo and Coach K in four successive games. Obviously the guy has some vision and skills and has built something special the last three years.

I'll grant you the Butler team was sprinkled with some Lick salt (or salt-Lick?), but Stevens is the steak of that program.

I know everyone is excited about all things Butler right now and for good reason, but let's not forget a few weeks ago we were facing the prospect in 2011 of 3,500 fans in Carver watching a team without Fuller and possibly Gatens. If Cougill grew a mustache and picked up some of Howard's sweet pivot moves, we might have been looking at 3,600 fans. Maybe.

Another item that seems a bit overlooked is that we have been told repeatedly the past few weeks that Lickliter didn't spend a lot of face time with potential recruits so even those guys that might have had ties to him most likely chose Butler due to relationships that Stevens built as the assistant prior to taking over.

Latest posts