If Sparty Wins

Northside Hawk

Izzo will shake his head as he walks toward Fran, as if he can't believe how his team just pulled that off. He will know darn well how he pulled it off-by playing physical and working the officials.

He will then get teary eyed in his press conference and, with what little whisper of a voice he has left, he will talk about his team overcoming all the adversity thrown at them and how he has never been prouder of a group of young men. He will conclude by saying he still can't believe what his team just pulled off against seemingly insurmountable odds.

Cry me a river Izzo. We can avoid this scenario tomorrow night with a thorough beatdown.

Izzo will shake his head as he walks toward Fran, as if he can't believe how his team just pulled that off. He will know darn well how he pulled it off-by playing physical and working the officials.

He will then get teary eyed in his press conference and, with what little whisper of a voice he has left, he will talk about his team overcoming all the adversity thrown at them and how he has never been prouder of a group of young men. He will conclude by saying he still can't believe what his team just pulled off against seemingly insurmountable odds.

Cry me a river Izzo. We can avoid this scenario tomorrow night with a thorough beatdown.
That is spot on. Surely this will not happen right? Surely Iowa will play up to its billing?!

Not to be that guy but am I the only one that gets tired of the MSU only wins because they only play physical and Izzo works the officials rhetoric? Are they overly physical? Yes. Does Izzo act like a pampered baby on the sidelines? Yes. But IMO they play a brand of basketball that works because other programs don't meet their level of physicality.

We can call it thug ball, or whatever we want, but the fact is both teams can play that style and if the officials are going to let it slide then the opponents damn well better as well, and that is where I feel that we've struggled in the past. Regardless of how Izzo conducts himself on the sidelines I don't think his antics have anything to do with the outcome of games. I think they've had their success in the past because they're more talented than most teams, but I think it's catching up with them this season because they simply aren't as skilled as they usually are this year and it shows.

Not to be that guy but am I the only one that gets tired of the MSU only wins because they only play physical and Izzo works the officials rhetoric? Are they overly physical? Yes. Does Izzo act like a pampered baby on the sidelines? Yes. But IMO they play a brand of basketball that works because other programs don't meet their level of physicality.

We can call it thug ball, or whatever we want, but the fact is both teams can play that style and if the officials are going to let it slide then the opponents damn well better as well, and that is where I feel that we've struggled in the past. Regardless of how Izzo conducts himself on the sidelines I don't think his antics have anything to do with the outcome of games. I think they've had their success in the past because they're more talented than most teams, but I think it's catching up with them this season because they simply aren't as skilled as they usually are this year and it shows.
You're assuming that just because they let it slide on one end of the court, they will on the other end as well.

Man it'd sure be nice to run them out of the gym. Get up big early. It's been awhile since we've done that to anybody. If we are a top 10, top 5 team we should be doing that more often. This is the year to do it to them. They have it coming. We owe them a few of em so let's not give them any false sense of hope and keep them in the game late. I want this game all but over by halftime.

You're assuming that just because they let it slide on one end of the court, they will on the other end as well.
Sorry I'm just not convinced that officials are biased toward certain programs or coaches. The assumption I'm making is that teams who know how to play physical do so. Teams that play a more finesse style of play may struggle to do so. MSU is perfectly comfortable getting dirty and banging for 40 minutes a night, we aren't. And while we consider the officials "letting it slide" I also think that a lot of it has to do with the fact that in the midst of the physicality we're going to revert back to being the finesse team that's more comfortable attacking from the perimeter and they're going to continue to pound away playing the way they do.

Sorry I'm just not convinced that officials are biased toward certain programs or coaches. The assumption I'm making is that teams who know how to play physical do so. Teams that play a more finesse style of play may struggle to do so. MSU is perfectly comfortable getting dirty and banging for 40 minutes a night, we aren't. And while we consider the officials "letting it slide" I also think that a lot of it has to do with the fact that in the midst of the physicality we're going to revert back to being the finesse team that's more comfortable attacking from the perimeter and they're going to continue to pound away playing the way they do.
I've seen too many Iowa MSU games to agree. They mug early and often until fouls rack up on them. Then Izzo complains about the foul disparity until the refs quit calling them for the muggings and start calling us for touch fouls and moving screens. By the end of the game they can do whatever they want and Dev Marble can't even breathe on their guy while he's shooting.

We have lost 14 of the last 16 games against Sparty. Hold them under 60 points and we will blow them out....

I've seen too many Iowa MSU games to agree. They mug early and often until fouls rack up on them. Then Izzo complains about the foul disparity until the refs quit calling them for the muggings and start calling us for touch fouls and moving screens. By the end of the game they can do whatever they want and Dev Marble can't even breathe on their guy while he's shooting.
So if this is really the case, then assumedly there would be a statistically significant difference in personal fouls called between MSU and whoever they're playing on a regular basis, right?

Unless you're suggesting that he's so influential on officials that his players foul dirty and excessively, and the other teams do not. That's a pretty big stretch. I mean I can see how you'd think that because he's constantly jawing at refs, but come on. Support your position other than your hugely biased opinion.

This officiating argument, especially when it comes to Izzo is a bunch of tired and lazy bullshit.

The few games I've seen Sparty play this year they seem to be lacking their usual load of talent. They really don't seem to have a talented big. They will have to double and triple Garza to slow him down inside. If we are hitting from the outside and play just average defense we should win this game. If we lose it's going to be the same ol story....some average player goes off for a career high and we make no adjustments to counter that.

So if this is really the case, then assumedly there would be a statistically significant difference in personal fouls called between MSU and whoever they're playing on a regular basis, right?

Unless you're suggesting that he's so influential on officials that his players foul dirty and excessively, and the other teams do not. That's a pretty big stretch. I mean I can see how you'd think that because he's constantly jawing at refs, but come on. Support your position other than your hugely biased opinion.

This officiating argument, especially when it comes to Izzo is a bunch of tired and lazy bullshit.
I’m not taking a side...just asking a question...do you feel you supported your position other than voicing your opinion?

The few games I've seen Sparty play this year they seem to be lacking their usual load of talent. They really don't seem to have a talented big. They will have to double and triple Garza to slow him down inside. If we are hitting from the outside and play just average defense we should win this game. If we lose it's going to be the same ol story....some average player goes off for a career high and we make no adjustments to counter that.
They’re terrible inside. If they double or triple Garza...necessary to slow him down...Wieskamp, Murray and others will score inside. This game should be a double figure win if they play well and we play average IMO.

Actually my opinion suggests there wouldn't be a statistical difference. Try to keep up.

Fair enough. Spartan teams are always fundamentally sound shooters and rebounder, and traditionally have that two way point guard most teams only dream of having.

Howeva,

There's the TV Teddy game in the 2013 BTT, a game that would have put Iowa in the dance, where there were two different games being officiated. Dont believe me, rewatch it. There was the 2014 game at Carver where Keith Van Zant Appling decided they were going to "gimme three steps". Where a blatant over and back was ignored. And where Basabe got fouled and goaltended at the end of regulation and neither was called.

Izzo is constantly out of the coaching box and constantly in the ear of any official he can pester. Over the course of a game antics like that have everything to do with the outcome of a game.

Fair enough. Spartan teams are always fundamentally sound shooters and rebounder, and traditionally have that two way point guard most teams only dream of having.

Howeva,

There's the TV Teddy game in the 2013 BTT, a game that would have put Iowa in the dance, where there were two different games being officiated. Dont believe me, rewatch it. There was the 2014 game at Carver where Keith Van Zant Appling decided they were going to "gimme three steps". Where a blatant over and back was ignored. And where Basabe got fouled and goaltended at the end of regulation and neither was called.

Izzo is constantly out of the coaching box and constantly in the ear of any official he can pester. Over the course of a game antics like that have everything to do with the outcome of a game.

All coaches work officials. But if he does it that much more than everyone else and his antics actually affect the outcome of games I think there's a far great problem involving the officials then Izzo himself. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but refs have egos to and from what I've seen more often then not if the antics of a coach rub off on an official then it usually comes back to bite the coach more often then not.

Latest posts