If Lick is the coach next year...

azhawkphan

what actually happens to attendance? I live out of state now, but made it back for a couple of games to see the lack of attendance. I have seen people throw out in a couple of other threads that if Lick is retained then attendance will drop again/nobody will go to the games. Is this true? Because the games I was at, there were very few students and other young people. The people attending the games were old timers and families; the demographics, IMO, that would most likely be in support of Lick. So the questions are:

1.) What does happen with to attendance in an already mostly empty Carver?
2.) Hypothetically speaking, if Lick is retained and he started to win games next year, would you start to attend games again and support the team/Lick at this point?
3.) Hypothetically speaking, if Lick is let go and we do not get Pearl/big name coach, do you automatically start to attend games again/watch on BTN?

Just curious...

With all the excitement around here lately I would be extremely hard to accept the fact that we would have to sit through another season of keep away basketball. I've went to 3-4 games a year for the past three seasons but I doubt I would make an appearance at Carver next season if Lickliter is still coaching.

If I had more desire, I'd paste in a picture of a toilet. 'Cause that's where attendance goes in 2010-11 if Todd Lickliter is the coach at Iowa.

First, the supporters would all talk about how young the team is after some players transfer AGAIN. And because Lickliter is starting all over again, the supporters would all say that we have to give Lickliter more time because if he can just get his players into upperclassmen without transferring, Iowa would be a team to contend with but it will take time. Then those same people would be all excited about the new players (those replacing the transfers) coming in the following year because they heard they are supposedly good players. But we need to be patient and expect another tough season because again, the players will be young, but once they all play together a few seasons they will no doubt be tougher than nails. The team of course will play in front of a crowd of about 3,000 and get blown out on the road but we will be told, "what did you expect, these kids are young. Be patient." And of course, Lickliter will whine and make hundreds of excuses about why they aren't playing better but they are making progress and are playing much better than previous teams. And at the end of the year, supporters will say, "We should give him at least one more year to prove himself because we have turned the corner." And Iowa again finishes in or near the basement.

And then more players transfer...and we return to the Twilight Zone, where we have been for the last 3 years...

That's kind of how it would go if Lickliter stayed...kind of like it has gone the previous 3 years...

First, the supporters would all talk about how young the team is after some players transfer AGAIN. And because Lickliter is starting all over again, the supporters would all say that we have to give Lickliter more time because if he can just get his players into upperclassmen without transferring, Iowa would be a team to contend with but it will take time. Then those same people would be all excited about the new players (those replacing the transfers) coming in the following year because they heard they are supposedly good players. But we need to be patient and expect another tough season because again, the players will be young, but once they all play together a few seasons they will no doubt be tougher than nails. The team of course will play in front of a crowd of about 3,000 and get blown out on the road but we will be told, "what did you expect, these kids are young. Be patient." And of course, Lickliter will whine and make hundreds of excuses about why they aren't playing better but they are making progress and are playing much better than previous teams. And at the end of the year, supporters will say, "We should give him at least one more year to prove himself because we have turned the corner." And Iowa again finishes in or near the basement.

And then more players transfer...and we return to the Twilight Zone, where we have been for the last 3 years...

That's kind of how it would go if Lickliter stayed...kind of like it has gone the previous 3 years...

Its a vicious cycle of sucking.

I think we see the the people that show up go to the old fashioned paper bag's over head trick and then we become the laughing stock of national sports media...

Let me ask this question then... Hypothetically speaking if Lick did stay, what would it take for you to attend Hawk games again? Doesn't look like the schedule is out for next year yet, but let's use this year's schedule as an overall guide. Given a similar schedule to this year, what would it take to get you back into Carver? If we started out the non-conf schedule 4-0, 5-1...? Is it only about wins at this point?

Let me ask this question then... Hypothetically speaking if Lick did stay, what would it take for you to attend Hawk games again? Doesn't look like the schedule is out for next year yet, but let's use this year's schedule as an overall guide. Given a similar schedule to this year, what would it take to get you back into Carver? If we started out the non-conf schedule 4-0, 5-1...? Is it only about wins at this point?

We would have to look competitive in all of our games and be "in it" deep into the season before I would consider it.

Where have you been this last year?

Funny...

At least this year people who aren't happy with Lickliter have still chimed in. We've done nothing but whine and moan, but we've stayed "active".

If Lick comes back, I'm not sure I care what happens until either he starts winning with regularity or a new coach comes on board. I'll still watch a game or two (when it happens to be on TV while I'm home) but I won't "care".

I would be willing to deal with the style of play if we won games. What I can't handle is watching a boring brand of basketball and then losing on top of it all.

Latest posts