If it all ended tomorrow.

Cory

Just wondering what all of you would remember about the KF era of Hawkeye Football. Would the years go by and the good years stand out or would the bad losses and strange decisions be the first memories. Would you always think of 2002 when you remember KF or would you think of 2010 or 2012.

Trying to figures out what I would think of first but I think it's tough with the current season clouding my memories.

It is slowly going past the tipping point. Had he gone after, say 2010, obviously the positive memories would be the freshest. As it is, iit's getting harder and harder to remember the really good times the further they get in the rearview mirror. This season has just sucked the life out of the fanbase like nothing I have seen since Hayden's last year. And if you think about it, there have been some really, REALLY crappy years lately for Iowa FB sandwiched around 2008-09. 2006 and 2007 were just mindnumbingly bad, too.

Tower; I'm hoping that I'm able to remember the pride I felt in the Iowa Football program for the good years and forget all the tough years but I'm afraid the next two years will be the same as this one. If that does happen then I'm sure most will just remember the years of head scratching losses.

Let's hope this disaster of a year reenergizes KF and changes some of his thought processes on how to recruit and win at this level.

hot and cold, 7 wins more often than not but those were not memorable. There have been some great moments. Shows me that good things , fine teams, big wins, great moments can happen at Iowa because they have happened at Iowa.

it will be the good years, it will be the great Hawkeye players, Clark, Banks, Gallery, Greene, Sanders, Kaeting, etc. Even the bad years can not erase that.

if he had left after that 2004 year to the Jags (which i think he was really close to doing), we'd all consider him one of the greatest coaches of all time.

if he left now, most will think of him fondly, but with a sour taste in their mouth.

a couple more years like this, and most will say, "dude just didn't know when to go", with many looking back on his career with angst.

so it goes in football.

Certainly more good than bad. This season has been a disaster on most levels so that colors my opinion right now.

First and last impression of Kirk would be getting hammered by none other than our "rival" Nebraska in his first game as head coach and in his last game as head coach at Iowa....great....

Kirk is no different than most coaches that have some success at a particular school. Most fans will remember the good and be more forgiving of the bad. He deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as Evy and Hayden, but the longer the program continues to struggle (and I think it will), the more he will prove the theory that a coach can stay at one place too long. Looking back, if the opportunity was there in '04 to go to Jacksonville, he should have taken it.

Fry left the program in shambles and is still looked upon very highly. After time, this would be no different as long as it doesn't remain down.

Looking back, if the opportunity was there in '04 to go to Jacksonville, he should have taken it.

but, knowing Kirk like we do now, it's obvious that he went with the "safe" pick of staying. he's not the type to take the risky move, even if they did offer him the job, knowing that an NFL coach's lifespan is much lower than college. esp with Iowa willing to dump tons of moolah on him to stay.

Fry left the program in shambles and is still looked upon very highly. After time, this would be no different as long as it doesn't remain down.

B.S.

Fry left with a very thin roster, true. But the program was far from "in shambles". He walked away from a very different product...than what faced him when he took the job.

Hard to remember the good - because it was usually laced with the bad 'what could have been' if we hadn't lost to ISU etc. etc.

Here's to hoping that it does end today

3-8 in 1998 with only wins coming against CMU, Illinois who was 2-6 in conference, and NW who was 0-8?
Then 1-whatever in 1999 with his leftovers?

I don't care how bad the '70's were, that is shambles and worse than today. No way this team wins only 1 game next year, regardless of coach.

Latest posts