If Iowa played in the NCAA tourney RIGHT NOW ...

• Thread starter Ian Pike Hammer
  • Start date

How many games would we win? (6 wins means you are National Champion)

• 0, knocked out in first game by lower seed.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • 1, one and done

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • 2, Sweet 16. I think this is the minimun expect for Fran to keep his head (and o ther parts!)

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • 3, Elite Eight

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • 4, Final Four

• 5, Title game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6, Natty

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I

Ian Pike Hammer

How many games would we win? (6 wins means you are National Champion)

I put Sweet 16 giving the benefit of the doubt as I think that is talent level they are at right now. But, I do think Iowa would be at risk of being upset in the first 2 games if they are not getting nothing from their guard play.

It all depends on how far we slide in the seeding. If we get a 2 or 3 seed we should make the sweet 16.

Because Im still drinking the kool aid and I cannot see JBo staying in a slump for long, I went Final 4.

I’m not voting because I think matchups are very important. But I will say 2 wins is my minimum. Today FF4 is my maximum. If we have to play Baylor in the Elite 8 I pick Baylor.

Right now I’d have us on upset alert first round, but thankfully the tournament is not right now. I think this team flourishes down the stretch and leans on its upper class experience with some youth movement helping along the way

I went Sweet 16 given we should have a good seed and should in theory be able to win at least the first two games, being definitely the higher seed. It's just too hard to predict much beyond that. You never know how a bracket will shake out with match ups and upsets. Or if we get a favorable draw from the committee.

I think the Franuary slide will put us in a play-in game and we will then win 7 games and go down as the greatest team in history because we won 7 games in the tournament.

Right now they would be a #2 seed. Imo, they would smash the #15....then they would play the winner of the 7/10 game....that’s where it gets dicey. At that point as Windsor alluded to it becomes about matchups.

Right now they would be a #2 seed. Imo, they would smash the #15....then they would play the winner of the 7/10 game....that’s where it gets dicey. At that point as Windsor alluded to it becomes about matchups.

There are no smashing games in the tourney, just ask that ISU team that was supposed to be all world about 15 years ago that lost to #15 Compton or whoever it was, or Duke I think or a bunch of #2 seeds like Lute's AZ teams maybe losing to a 15 twice!!! IIRC not once for lute but twice which somewhat cemented his early exit legacy he had at Iowa even after going to a final 4.

There are no smashing games in the tourney, just ask that ISU team that was supposed to be all world about 15 years ago that lost to #15 Compton or whoever it was, or Duke I think or a bunch of #2 seeds like Lute's AZ teams maybe losing to a 15 twice!!! IIRC not once for lute but twice which somewhat cemented his early exit legacy he had at Iowa even after going to a final 4.
But Lute did win a NCAA championship in 1997, he will be remembered more for that than losing as a 2 seed. He only lost as a 2 seed in the first round once to Santa Clara, who had Steve Nash on the team as a freshman.

I think if we get a 2 seed, we would have to play horrible to get bounced before the sweet 16, which we have already showed is possible.

As said many times before I think its all about the matchups. There are teams and styles of play that we don't match up well against and unfortunately I've accepted the fact that with our luck, based on how 2020 and 2021 have played out so far, we will see those nightmare matchups starting opening round and plaguing us until we are eliminated. That said I voted sweet 16, but agree we could very easily come up short or exceed expectations based on how we've performed this season.

There is an old saying that history repeats it’s self. If that plays out in the tournament then we are screwed. The only exception was an NIT run we made once.

If the old Jbo were to make a really strong showing in the tourney, then a final four is possible. The outside shooting opens up the entire offense. If the opponent’s guards have to come way out because Jbo and CJ are dropping bombs that opens huge passing and driving lanes for the 3, 4, and 5 positions.

When the threes are falling at a reasonable percentage (37% to 41%) it will be difficult for anyone to beat us. Below 25%, well enjoy the bus ride back to Iowa City.

Latest posts