If Iowa is to play Tex. & A&M is this a great opportunity?

Win5002

I know a lot of this is speculation at this point, and personally I would love to see the Iowa vs. Nebraska rivalry.

But as long as Ferentz is the coach at Iowa is playing Texas and A&M(if they were to come) a big opportunity? If Iowa was to play each of them every year and to do well, would this open a pipeline of players to Iowa that could really propel them recruiting wise.

I'm not saying Iowa would start beating Texas for the best recruits in the state, although maybe with some wins over them they could pull a few 4 & 5 star players from Texas. But there are a lot of 3 star recruits and even some 4 star players left over after Texas has taken their players. Also, Kirk has shown he has an eye for talent and the ability to develop unheralded recruits into excellent players. There are a lot of kids in Texas and that leaves a lot of 2-3 star players as prospects.

I have been waiting 13 years for Iowa to play A&M as wife is an A&M graduate. I was at the Cotton Bowl in Jan. 2005 and watched them get clobbered by Tennessee. This was the same year that Iowa won in the last seconds against LSU. Needless to say, I didn't make many friends that day :)

I still don't know why we haven't set up a home and home series against them. Lots of Iowa fans in TX.

I'm all for it since I live in Austin.

Don't see why it couldn't open some doors down here. Hayden did a great job recruiting down here. I still wonder why KF doesn't use some of the football alumni to help him recruit down here. Sedrick Shaw is here in Austin and Demo Odems is the head coach at LBJ here.

I wish the league could get just Texas...College Station seems so far away,further than Austin,and Texas is the big prize. I wonder if our baseball program could lure some of the leftovers from Texas and get a boost. Texas would improve the baseball in the Big Ten ,no doubt.

I don't want either.... court ND and get it over with.
I don't want NE or TX. Let them continue to battle with OK in the B12 and let them get their conference remains relevant. I don't want a bloated oversized B10. I think it will hurt us more than we think. We are already considered middle of the pack in 3/4 of the country, so how would going to 16 teams with ND, TX, NE help us out?

I wish the league could get just Texas...College Station seems so far away,further than Austin,and Texas is the big prize. I wonder if our baseball program could lure some of the leftovers from Texas and get a boost. Texas would improve the baseball in the Big Ten ,no doubt.

Using google maps directions, College Station is 1010 and Austin is 1043.

A&M and Texas will almost certainly go as a package deal. I just don't see the Texas State University System allowing the two to split. Add in the fact that A&M is becoming a player in nearly every athletic department I would think that the Big10 would want them as a partner as well. A&M won NATIONAL championships in 2009 in Mens Golf, Mens Track and Womens Track. Baseball conference champs in 08, womens basketball in 07 & 08, womens golf in 10, womens soccer from 04-07, softball in 08, swimming and diving in 08. Their facilities are state of the art for all athletic programs and most are new within the past 10 years.

College Station and Bryan are a lot like Iowa City / Coralville where the towns are built around the college. Tons of bars and cheap restaurants. Their fans are just plain crazy for anything A&M. If I was in charge of the expansion I would make sure they get rid of those damn male yell leaders though :)

The rivalry is currently the 3rd longest in history dating back to 1894.

I guess they could still continue the rivalry but I guess I just don't see TX joining the Big10 without A&M alongside.

I do believe that a continued match-up between Iowa and the two Texas schools would definitely end up paying recruiting dividends. However, in making Texas "Big 10 country" would not only help Iowa ... but it would open up the entire state that much more to Big 10 teams. Furthermore, it could potentially draw talent AWAY from Oklahoma. It seems to me that plenty of top talent from Texas goes to Oklahoma ... however, I think that part of that is powered by the whole Big 12 south thang. I presume that they'd still have the red river rivalry and that would continue to help Oklahoma recruit Texas ... however, I anticipate that it would certainly reduce their clout in recruiting Texas to some degree.

Using google maps directions, College Station is 1010 and Austin is 1043.

I stand corrected. Shows how much I know about Texas...only been to Houston and Dallas...and drove thru the panhandle once. Texas-ignorant,I guess. A & M is a quasi-military school,isn't it? Again,not sure. Seems to be a different culture than the Big Ten.

I'm all for it since I live in Austin.

Don't see why it couldn't open some doors down here. Hayden did a great job recruiting down here. I still wonder why KF doesn't use some of the football alumni to help him recruit down here. Sedrick Shaw is here in Austin and Demo Odems is the head coach at LBJ here.

I met one of the football coaches at Sedrick's high school, and I started asking him about Sedrick, but this coach was a Michigan fan. He was Ray Jackson's dad- yes, the Ray Jackson from Michigan's Fab Five.

I have been waiting 13 years for Iowa to play A&M as wife is an A&M graduate. I was at the Cotton Bowl in Jan. 2005 and watched them get clobbered by Tennessee. This was the same year that Iowa won in the last seconds against LSU. Needless to say, I didn't make many friends that day :)

I still don't know why we haven't set up a home and home series against them. Lots of Iowa fans in TX.

How about how A&M's fight song is entirely dedicated to slamming UT! "Goodbye to Texas University, so long to the Orange and White, etc....Saw Varsity's Horns Off!"

If Texas joins the Big Ten then Texas A & M just as well join too, to make it a more reasonable addition rather than have just one school join as an island in the otherwise geographically connected conference.

That said and to answer your question I think playing A & M would be a good opportunity (not convinced it's a great opportunity, however). Exposure in Texas can only help recruiting and A & M is a team Iowa can beat more times than not. I think the two combined can lead to significantly improved results in Texas.

Just heard today that the SEC is pursuing Texas and Texas A*M as a package deal to join the SEC along with Clemson and Fl State. I believe they would jump to 16 teams and separate into four regional divisions. The West being Texas, TX A*M, LSU and Arkansas. The East would be Florida, Fl St, Clemson and South Carolina. The South would be Auburn, Miss, Miss St and Georgia. The North would be TN, Vandy, Kentucky and Alabama.

I said it earlier and I will say it again. TX and A*M will go as a package. Where they go the entire state of TX goes. SMU, Baylor, Houston, Tech are just bystanders in that state.

Since I live in Nashville, the next best thing for me would be A*M join the SEC as I would be able to watch a football game once every few years and basketball every year.

Latest posts