If Iowa is A Contender

Xerxes

This game is the best thing that could have happened to them. Contending teams use this type of loss as a wakeup call. Bring your A game or don't bother showing up this time of year.

This season is far from over and Iowa needs to realize that the Minnesotas, Penn Sts, and Northwesterns of the world aren't going to curl up and put their thumb in their mouth when Iowa shows up.

Nebraska is giving Indiana all it can handle right now. Every game is going to be tough from here. Nobody in this conference is good enough to show up, go through the motions, and win easily. Hopefully Iowa is ready next time.

If having the worst loss of the teams competing for 1 or 2 seeds is the "best thing that could have happened to them"...then nailed it!

I swear some of you haven't watched college basketball this year.

Every week all the top ten teams are losing.. and it's not always to good teams.

Iowa can be a contender, but they need to get back to what got them to there in the first place. Good shooting, good defense, limiting turnovers, etc.

Last edited:
There's bad, then there's Penn State level of bad.

they weren't bad tonight. They shot unreal, even when contested.

I'll admit, I didn't watch a lot of PSU games this year, so I really don't know how bad/not bad they are (my guess would be you haven't either). I know they haven't shot anywhere close, not even remotely close, to how well they shot tonight.

We shot below our avg and again struggled from the ft line late. The rest is narrative.

Contenders lose games.....but in Iowa's case where so much history is on the line....a senior laiden team......and only what was once a 1 game lead in the standings.......you come in and take care of business. Iowa should not need a wakeup call at this juncture. But, they certainly need to re-dedicate themselves. Of course, it is possible, Iowa has been simply over-achieving and their maker has now finally arrived demanding his payment.

It is going to take a real gutcheck to be tougher physically and mentally with their next 4 opponents.

I couldn't imagine another top team in the conference losing to Penn State....

Except that Indiana is a middle tier Big 10 team that benefited from a easy opening Big 10 slate. I fully expect Indiana to lose a good percentage of their remaining conference games.

Some people need to relax. Losing to PSU sucks. But bad losses are part of college basketball. Two years ago Wisconsin lost 5 of 6 games in the middle of the season including 3 at home (one to Northwestern). They went on to the Final 4 that year.

Good teams respond to this kind of game. We'll see what happens next Wednesday.

56 is soooooo correct.....

This is EXACTLY why Iowa never wins the Big 10. Remember all the gutty Purdue teams that won the Big 10....they were't any more talented than Iowa this year....but they were MENTALLY tough as nails and took care of the teams they were supposed to take care of. I saw this loss a mile away....I've seen this type of thing happen for over 30 years in regard to Iowa Basketball. Put me down as not shocked by what happened tonite....I expect it will happen again soon as well....and maybe more than once. This is the ONE game out of the last 5 that you HAD to take care of, and they couldn't do it....not good folks!!!

Not a contender when you play at the level of your opponent. Not a contender when you get pushed around and let the other teams intimidate you so your afraid to shoot the ball. A top tier national power knows how to take it up and notch and dig deep to regain momentum in a game. The Hawks sent a message today to teams they will be playing the rest of the year. Play them physical and you'll intimidate them and throw them out of rhythm.

This game is the best thing that could have happened to them. Contending teams use this type of loss as a wakeup call. Bring your A game or don't bother showing up this time of year.

This season is far from over and Iowa needs to realize that the Minnesotas, Penn Sts, and Northwesterns of the world aren't going to curl up and put their thumb in their mouth when Iowa shows up.

Nebraska is giving Indiana all it can handle right now. Every game is going to be tough from here. Nobody in this conference is good enough to show up, go through the motions, and win easily. Hopefully Iowa is ready next time.

PRETENDER!

Everyone has the right to be upset....its called passion...and most can be cured by the hawks playing better basketball....others WILL require continued medication or new treatment and counseling plans. Any team that played like Penn State played last night is going to win no matter who they play against. It happens. Their 53% and 61% free throw shooters will drilling fts. Their guy that was 7-40 on 3's hits 5-6. Their big man reserve avg 3.9 goes off for 19. Could we have done things to stop them, sure. They were playing better than us. We took bad shots..empty possessions and they got more quality possessions. Had we hit a couple shots in a row when we were wallowing at 3-5 pts down for that 8 minute stretch...things might have turned out differently. I think this team is TOO cool hand luke-like. Need some urgency, some fire, and like this board some passion. I hope someone other than Fran in the locker room got all kinds of up in the team's face and challenged everybody. We will play better next week. Put it on the board.

Last edited:
There's bad, then there's Penn State level of bad.

Expand your thinking beyond 1 game. This is the 4th straight year our game at Penn State has gone down to the wire. This is nothing new. Penn State finally pulled one out. It's not all that shocking and is not an indicator of how the remaining games will go.

Latest posts