"If in doubt, throw him out"

Jadedhawk

I would love to have a conversation with the people who thought this slogan was a good idea.

In a game that keeps getting faster and faster, officials are having a harder and harder time keeping up and do a decent job of officiating. So we put more on their plate with this judgement on ejections. The mantra says, if you're not sure, eject the player. I think we will all agree that officials will miss calls, they are human, and we expect this as watch games. Officials will screw this up, it WILL happen, and a player, and a team will pay the price.

The Big Ten office says they do not want to make these decisions on Monday. WHY NOT?

Current Policy:

Officials make call after seeing a play in real time. Player is ejected for remainder of the game (& first half of next game if penalty is in second half). Mistakes will be made, officials will get boos. Ejections that are not made will also put officials in hot water with the league.

Better Policy??:

I understand the need to protect the game. Let the officials call the 15-yard penalty for a hit they think warrants it. Hold off on the ejections. Let the leagues take care of it, after being able to watch the play repeatedly. They can watch and make sure a player isn't flopping, and if there was actual targeting, then they sit the next game. This way, everyone pays the same price...one full game.

I hate to see players penalized for things they can't control. There are plays when a defensive player goes in to make a legal tackle, and the offensive player gets hit from another guy, trips, cuts, etc...and in the split second move they make helmet to helmet contact. In football, this is unavoidable, and it seems we have people who think it can be solved. It can't. I understand the "launching" penalties for defensive players, but to throw a flag on every helmet to helmet hit is going to ruin the game.

Thoughts??

1. This has the potential for abuse...game-changing abuse... written all over it. First time a star middle linebacker gets tossed and his team loses, we'll have threads galore on the boards and ESPN.

2. Similar to the NFL and other pro sports, the message is clear: Offense sells, protect the scorers

3. Kirk, please see #2. Grinding it out offensively and depending on tough, physical D ain't gonna cut it any more.

idk...i could go both ways with it really. hypothetically, lets say iowa feels that an iowa state player was head hunting on a hit and he doesn't get thrown out. don't you think some players on iowa would be doing some head hunting of their own in retaliation? much like baseball, you hit my player so i'm going to hit you. i think it could be ended right away if the player is ejected immediately.

and drummer, did this really need to turn into another KF thread? my god give it a rest. not everything has to do with KF

idk...i could go both ways with it really. hypothetically, lets say iowa feels that an iowa state player was head hunting on a hit and he doesn't get thrown out. don't you think some players on iowa would be doing some head hunting of their own in retaliation? much like baseball, you hit my player so i'm going to hit you. i think it could be ended right away if the player is ejected immediately.

and drummer, did this really need to turn into another KF thread? my god give it a rest. not everything has to do with KF

Actually Yes, it does here. This is the college football forum on HawkeyeNation. Kirk Ferentz is our Head Coach. And we're talking about changes in Big Ten football officiating. (can you connect the dots yet?)

I think it's pretty reasonable to point out that new rules require teams to make adjustments in their style of play, and then speculate on how that would apply to our team and coach.

How bout this: It will be interesting to see if these changes in officiating significantly impact how the game is played. I look forward with great optimism and anticipation as I'm confident in our coaching staff's ability to adapt and keep us on top! Hooray!!!

Last edited:
1. This has the potential for abuse...game-changing abuse... written all over it. First time a star middle linebacker gets tossed and his team loses, we'll have threads galore on the boards and ESPN.

2. Similar to the NFL and other pro sports, the message is clear: Offense sells, protect the scorers

3. Kirk, please see #2. Grinding it out offensively and depending on tough, physical D ain't gonna cut it any more.

'grinding it out'..........you wouldn't think that KF era players would dominate the receiving stats (if you paid attention to some on this board) for receptions in game/season/career, yards gained in game/season/career and/or TDs in game/season/career. McNutt, DJK, Hinkel and Kasper dominate those stats - the only one represented outside the KF era would be Quinn Early...

'grinding it out'..........you wouldn't think that KF era players would dominate the receiving stats (if you paid attention to some on this board) for receptions in game/season/career, yards gained in game/season/career and/or TDs in game/season/career. McNutt, DJK, Hinkel and Kasper dominate those stats - the only one represented outside the KF era would be Quinn Early...

Yes, all those guys had great careers under KFz. But I think you'll see a little different picture if you look at the overall offensive numbers.

Since 2002 we rank 57th in total offense, 60th in scoring offense. Interestingly enough, in 2009 when DJK and McNutt were great... we ranked 83rd and 87th in those two categories.

If you include all 14 seasons...we're in the bottom half of D-1 in both categories

Last edited:

That must explain why Chip Kelly won all of those championships at Oregon while Nick Saban and Alabama floundered.

That must explain why Chip Kelly won all of those championships at Oregon while Nick Saban and Alabama floundered.

Great point. I mean...everybody has the talent they have at Alabama. Right? I love cherries... pick me some more. Nothing like using the most dominant team in college football over the last 4-5 years as a representative example.

But since you brought it up... Chip Kelly went 46-7 at Oregon, won the Pac 10 three times, took them to 4 straight BCS bowls, and yes...lost the NC game by a field goal.

I'd say that's pretty good.

Last edited:
Great point. I mean...everybody has the talent they have at Alabama. Right? I love cherries... pick me some more.

But since you brought it up... Chip Kelly went 46-7 at Oregon, won the Pac 10 three times, took them to 4 straight BCS bowls, and yes...lost the NC game by a field goal.

I'd say that's pretty good.
I'm walking through a cherry orchard then, since Stanford, Notre Dame, Georgia, and South Carolina are on the rise focusing on Defense, while the "powerhouses" in the Big XII are falling behind trying to score 60 a game every week.

I'm walking through a cherry orchard then, since Stanford, Notre Dame, Georgia, and South Carolina are on the rise focusing on Defense, while the "powerhouses" in the Big XII are falling behind trying to score 60 a game every week.

By golly you did it. Thats why Iowas offense has been soo bad.....they have been only focusing on defense.

You forgot LSU, Michigan State and OSU under Tresell.

If this approach causes players to take a step or two back from the thin line of seriously dangerous foul play that will harm another person or bring disrepute to the game, I'm in favor of it.

Slightly off topic, new guy, but what do the letters of you userID stand for?

Slightly off topic, new guy, but what do the letters of you userID stand for?

I checked out his/her profile:

nunst022.gif

Latest posts