If Ferentz fails... Diaco should be the man

DP5555

I've read a lot of hypothetical scenarios regarding who the next Iowa football coach would or should be if Ferentz is ultimately let go in the near future. Up until this point, I haven't ever really made up my mind in terms of whom I think would be best. Reading the following article just solidified it for me:

http://espn.go.com/college-football...skies-do-not-need-ucf-knights-consent-rivalry

Bring on Bob Diaco. I love this attitude. It's what Iowa needs. They need an edge. I've had about enough of the play it safe and be respectful mentality. If the results of the upcoming season prove it is indeed time for a change then make a real change.

Sounds like maybe he should be coaching at Iowa State. Only excited about beating UCF. Probably should win a few more games before having a cocky attitude.

Diaco was a very successful assistant, but he's yet to be proven as a Head Coach. Let's see where he has UCONN in a few years.

Sounds like maybe he should be coaching at Iowa State. Only excited about beating UCF. Probably should win a few more games before having a cocky attitude.

He circled the top team in the conference on the schedule and said we're coming for them. I have no problems with that.

Think about what Ferentz says about match-ups with OSU.... "Humm dee dum dee dum. It's Ohio State. They are always incredibly difficult to beat. We'll have to execute at a high level and we'll probably have to have some luck bounce our way in order to have a chance to win. We're Iowa after all. We're just Iowa. Historically speaking this is going to be a big challenge."

I'm just sick of that attitude. Circle the top dog in the conference and gun for them. I don't care if you don't make it. I realize how big of a challenge it is for Iowa to compete with a team like Ohio State. I'm just sick of the woe is me attitude. You aren't going to compete with the top dogs unless you believe you are capable of it and that starts at the top. I love how Diaco isn't afraid to make a statement. He was respectful of the Central Florida program. He never said anything out of line. He's just aiming for the top. That kind of attitude rubs off on players and vice versa.

No way, Brian deserves the job, did you all forget about 2002-04? Must not like three straight top ten finishes. Keep it in the family.

#bulliesofthB10

I've read a lot of hypothetical scenarios regarding who the next Iowa football coach would or should be if Ferentz is ultimately let go in the near future. Up until this point, I haven't ever really made up my mind in terms of whom I think would be best. Reading the following article just solidified it for me:

http://espn.go.com/college-football...skies-do-not-need-ucf-knights-consent-rivalry

Bring on Bob Diaco. I love this attitude. It's what Iowa needs. They need an edge. I've had about enough of the play it safe and be respectful mentality. If the results of the upcoming season prove it is indeed time for a change then make a real change.

let's hope when the time comes we can fill the coaching void with something more than a 'so pwoud' yeller and screamer who actually has a proven record as a head coach.

I'm still going to hold out hope for Bielema. Problem is Arkansas seems to be on the rise so he probably isn't going anywhere soon unless they really tank this season.

Just because someone was a good assistant/coordinator and likes to act all cocky that doesn't make them a great head coach. When he wins a few more games against D1 opponents then maybe you can talk about him becoming head coach at Iowa.

Not saying I wouldn't want Bobby back but I think he still needs to prove a lot.

Right now for me it is Bielema or bust!

Well timing will make a big difference here. Let's say it is 3 years before the hawks are looking for a new coach after the 2017 season. That will be Bielema's 5 year at Arkansas and even if he has them winning he may want to come back to Iowa. Bret B may just say I won at Wisky but I had a great team handed to me, i won at Arky after they were in the dumps, so let me go prove I can raise back up the hawks.

And in 3 years, you will know about Diaco after his 4th year at UConn. UConn had some good teams before so it can be done there but can Diaco have success by year 4 when KF was winning a title.

I'll keep an eye on Mark Stoops. I know he is a great recruiter. Head coach at Kentucky. OC at Florida and an assistant coach at Oklahoma.

I like Diaco a lot. UConn was in bad, bad shape when he took over. Let's see what he does with them this season. As much as BB is my first choice, I don't see him leaving Arkansas and the SEC to come to Iowa. If Diaco wins at UConn he would be my guy. I like his attitude. And I like his coaching background. Just needs to show he can win as a head coach.

The Diaco question aside..I'm curious what the OP's definition of "If Ferentz fails"...is. Were you referring to this season? What would failure be? With one of the bottom 10 schedules in college football...I'd say anything less than 8 wins.

If it's a broader definition, I'd suggest he's already past the point of no return, or recovery.

The Diaco question aside..I'm curious what the OP's definition of "If Ferentz fails"...is. Were you referring to this season? What would failure be? With one of the bottom 10 schedules in college football...I'd say anything less than 8 wins.

If it's a broader definition, I'd suggest he's already past the point of no return, or recovery.

Pretty much exactly what you said. I've been a Ferentz supporter up until last season. That was the final straw. The way he handled Rudock/Beathard and more of the same in regards to inexcusable losses. I would probably pinpoint last year's ISU game as the day he officially lost my support. The coaching in that game was horrendous. The offensive play calling was the worst I've ever seen at this level. Struggling on offense against the worst defense in college football is inexcusable. Refusing to throw the ball down the field against the worst defense in college football is inexcusable. I think they threw the ball more than 20 yards once in that entire game. One ******* time. Unbelievable. That game still makes me upset because I firmly believe Iowa State didn't beat Iowa. Iowa beat themselves. Specifically Iowa's coaches beat their own team.

With the easy schedule this year anything less than 8 wins is a travesty. If they lose any of the first 4 games (including Pitt) I'll be ready for him to be let go. If they lose to Iowa State again I think he should be fired after the game.

If Bobby D. shows he can get it done @ UCONN then he should be on the list of candidates. But I still think someone like Chris Klieman needs to be there as well.

I think Bielema would be the splash hire and I certainly don't disagree with it. Which is strange because a few years ago I hated him. The guy just rubs me the wrong way for some reason, but the fact is he gets the job done. I think everything about his style would work for Iowa. So I'm to the point now where I agree with most of you... he would be the #1 guy on the radar.

If we didn't get him though I would be happy with Diaco. Of course we need to see how he's progressing at UConn, but I think he has what it takes. Remains to be seen, but it appears to me the guy is bound to have success.

Latest posts