If Ferentz coached in the SEC...

franstheman

Let me start off by making sure it's clear I am a BIG TIME Ferentz supporter. But let's say for the sake of saying that Ferentz was the coach at a middle of the pack SEC team like Tennessee, Arkansas, Auburn and the situation was the same. Same record. Few mediocre bowls, few January bowls a few conference titles, few coach of the year awards, all the NFL draft picks, the huge salary, the close losses to huge rivals like Minnesota, Iowa State, etc... and quite a few big upsets along with some blow-outs of huge rivals. Would he have a job for 14 years?

Let me start off by making sure it's clear I am a BIG TIME Ferentz supporter. But let's say for the sake of saying that Ferentz was the coach at a middle of the pack SEC team like Tennessee, Arkansas, Auburn and the situation was the same. Same record. Few mediocre bowls, few January bowls a few conference titles, few coach of the year awards, all the NFL draft picks, the huge salary, the close losses to huge rivals like Minnesota, Iowa State, etc... and quite a few big upsets along with some blow-outs of huge rivals. Would he have a job for 14 years?

Premise is false. At an SEC school, KF would not be running the show, the richest booster would. This includes player course selection, discipline, payoffs to law enforcement, etc.

KF, to his credit, wouldn't be able to stomach the stuff that goes on in the SEC.

LOL Kurt in the SEC would be a disaster. This is why Urban Meyer is going to dominate the B10. Meyer is basically coming in and laughing at the way guys like Kurt run their programs. It's not how you do it if you want to win big.

You got a taste of the way Meyer recruits this past offseason. Wisconsin's Bret Bielema complained about Meyer's aggressiveness, which went right up to the NCAA's line and might have crossed it. So did Michigan State's Mark Dantonio. Meyer's statement to a group of Ohio high school coaches this offseason sums up his philosophy. "You're [ticked] because we went after a committed guy?" Meyer told the coaches, according to Brandon Castel of theozone.net. "Guess what, we've got nine [assistant coaches] who better go do it again. Do it a little harder next time."

Read more: Ohio State*dominating Big Ten, Week 6 college football preview - Andy Staples - SI.com

Hard saying. The KF defensive philosophy would probably thrive with better recruiting found in the SEC. His offenses might actually improve with better skill position players. O-line would be stacked at all times. Running game could be amazing.... it's already very impressive. Imagine a running back stable filled with all 5 star recruits? Of course, then we would have to debate if AIRBHG is exclusive to Iowa, or if he follows KF.

It's not about the X's and O's...it's the Jimmy's and Joe's....

And the SEC Jimmy and Joe's are >> BIG Jimmy and Joe's

But Kirk wouldn't be able to handle the way the "college" programs are run down there....and I'm using the term college very loosely. Let's be honest...the SEC are semi-pro football teams...

If he was in the sec he would be getting 4 and 5 star recruits every year and that might help just a little.

Oh my god. The SEC love in this thread is just laughable. My gawd, you'd think everyone on their team was a 5 star recruit. It's honestly rediculous some of the stuff I'm hearing in this thread.

What's the SEC????
mp-gumby.jpg

No way would he last that long -- especially being one of the top 10 highest-paid coaches in college football. But we here "at 'lil 'ol Iowa should just continue to "count our lucky stars that we have a .500 program because gosh darn we don't want to make a change. Dontcha remember what happened when we ran Mr. Davis out of town?" :) ... Having a little fun here ... but to the OP ... Kirk would not have survived 14 seasons ... We pay him SEC-type money ... but ... well ... that's where it ends

Oh my god. The SEC love in this thread is just laughable. My gawd, you'd think everyone on their team was a 5 star recruit. It's honestly rediculous some of the stuff I'm hearing in this thread.

I know, based on this thread you would think that the SEC dominates college football and has won something crazy like 6 national titles in a row...oh wait.

examples? are you arguing that SEC teams don't have better recruits?

Taking a look at current coaches in the SEC the answer seems to be no he wouldn't be there for 14 years.

Who cares? and what does that have to do with anything? are a couple of questions that come to mind......

No way would he last that long -- especially being one of the top 10 highest-paid coaches in college football. But we here "at 'lil 'ol Iowa should just continue to "count our lucky stars that we have a .500 program because gosh darn we don't want to make a change. Dontcha remember what happened when we ran Mr. Davis out of town?" :) ... Having a little fun here ... but to the OP ... Kirk would not have survived 14 seasons ... We pay him SEC-type money ... but ... well ... that's where it ends

If you don't think KF would be successful at a high profile SEC school, you are sadly mistaken. Look at Nick Saban as a prime example. Saban and KF both come from the Belichek coaching tree. Both run similar, pro-style offenses and defenses. Saban's record at MSU was 25-22-1 his first 4 years at MSU. His 5th year, MSU went 9-2 but he took the LSU job and didn't coach them in the Florida Citrus Bowl. His 1st 3 years at LSU, he went 8-4, 10-3 and 8-5.

There is a built-in recruiting advantage because of geography, lower academic standards and booster "creativity" that the Big Ten, especially Iowa, doesn't have. If KF was willing to compromise his principles and coach at a place like Alabama or LSU, he would be competing for championships because he is that good of a football coach.

It's not about the X's and O's...it's the Jimmy's and Joe's....

And the SEC Jimmy and Joe's are >> BIG Jimmy and Joe's

But Kirk wouldn't be able to handle the way the "college" programs are run down there....and I'm using the term college very loosely. Let's be honest...the SEC are semi-pro football teams...

I'm going to disagree with you on this....

I propose that coaching has more to do with a team's college football success than anything.

At Alabama, for example, between Gene Stallings and Nick Saban, they were pulling in great recruits like they always do, but they stunk. Why? Because they had the likes of Mike Dubose and Mike Shula. Same with LSU. People act like LSU has been good for forever. They were mediocre, at best, before Saban came along. Before that, they had the likes of Mike Archer, Curley Hallman and Gerry DiNardo going a combind 76-70 over a 13 year period. Or take a look at Florida. Great under Spurrier, average at best under Zook, and great under Meyer. For the most part, those schools were getting killer recruiting classes each year, but the coaches couldn't coach the talent.

So yes, you're right that you need players.....Saban, Miles, Meyer, etc aren't winning with scrubs. But at the same time, those coaches I listed like DuBose, Shula, DiNardo, Zook, etc all had built in advantages like a brand name school and great recruits, but couldn't do jack squat.

The SEC does have much more talent than the Bigten. If we were a middle of the pack SEC team, we would still be in the top 20 (or better) in national recruiting rankings each year.

Latest posts