If Charlie Jones had stayed does Iowa go 10-2 again?

guffus

I am happy to see Charlie Jones was a consensus first team all Big Ten WR and I am 100% convinced he made the right call for what was best for him, but still it makes you wonder.

If Charlie Jones had stayed at Iowa this year, could he have made just enough difference for Iowa to repeat with a 10-2 overall record and 7-2 in conference?

I think he could have been the difference in both the ISU and ILL games. Iowa just needed 1 more TD in each game. It could have come on a kick return, or punt return or a TD catch by Jones.

1 difference in the Nebraska game was a fumbled kick, maybe that does not happen if Jones was still there.

Maybe it would not made a difference but it makes you wonder.

No, cuz he would get misused and Petras wouldn't get him the ball anyway. Maybe his punt returns help us beat Nebby and Iowa State. Nine wins would have been nice.

If only it was that simple... I don't think so to answer the question. Woulda been great to have had him. But we would have used him similarly to how he was the yr before. He may have made a big play or two in the passing/return game but would they have won us games against ISU, IL and or NE? Maybe.... Hard to know.

With how close they all ended up being it's fair to say that in at least one of those games that yeah he coulda made a difference. He certainly could have. But would he? With how bad our Oline and Petras was all yr along with BFs play calling I just have my doubts.

Laporta is the only one that seemed to have any kind of rapport with Petras. I think along with the style and volume of plays called Jone's way this yr his overall rapport with O'Connell was a large factor with his success too. That matters I think.

Last edited:
Possibly 9 wins and win the West. There is NO way he has zero impact like others are suggesting here. With the margin of victory being razor thin in the ISU and Illinois game he could have made the difference.

Possibly 9 wins and win the West. There is NO way he has zero impact like others are suggesting here. With the margin of victory being razor thin in the ISU and Illinois game he could have made the difference.

We only lost to 'Braska by 7. Just having Charlie in practice so our guys could practice covering someone who can run a 40 in under 4.6 would have probably been good for that game.

I am happy to see Charlie Jones was a consensus first team all Big Ten WR and I am 100% convinced he made the right call for what was best for him, but still it makes you wonder.

If Charlie Jones had stayed at Iowa this year, could he have made just enough difference for Iowa to repeat with a 10-2 overall record and 7-2 in conference?

I think he could have been the difference in both the ISU and ILL games. Iowa just needed 1 more TD in each game. It could have come on a kick return, or punt return or a TD catch by Jones.

1 difference in the Nebraska game was a fumbled kick, maybe that does not happen if Jones was still there.

Maybe it would not made a difference but it makes you wonder.
No. Our "situation" starts with CAP! Great punt returner. Fun to watch. Nope! Still this team had Grit huh? Go Hawks Players waay tough.

We only lost to 'Braska by 7. Just having Charlie in practice so our guys could practice covering someone who can run a 40 in under 4.6 would have probably been good for that game.

Maybe that punt doesn't get muffed?

Not sure how he would have impacted those losses but I find it very hard to believe adding an all conference WR would have had a zero impact.