Idealized Big 12

HawkForce

So now that the Big 12 is pretty much done, with Texas and Oklahoma taking OSU and TTU along with them to the West....I was thinking about possibilities...Aside from academics and such wouldn't this be a great solution to the problem for ISU and company?

New conference:
ISU
Kansas
KSU
Missouri
Baylor
Boise
WVU
Cincinatti
BYU
Houston
TCU
Louisville
Bringing back the Big 12 title game, and I feel this conference would have a pretty favorable shot of keeping BCS status for sure.

Here is what it would look like geographically:
Big12.jpg

Thoughts?
I have an outline for a possible Big East too, obviously this is unrealistic because getting people to agree to this because of various factors (like TV, although this conference would have a decent footprint.)
The kicker would be if UCONN would want out of my idealized Big East because of it not getting a BCS bid possibly.

Last edited:
That should not be a conference. Not because of you, HawkForce, you're presenting us with whoever is left out of this expansion mess.

What pisses me off about this whole expansion issue is the lack of care being shown for geography. It should mean something. Instead, we have people more concerned about TV money, and willing to pick up schools half-way across the world for them.

Other than the West schools though it's pretty solid. Have you looked at the new "PAC-16"? It's going to be west coast schools, Colorado and Utah, then WAY south Texas and OK.....this is the way it is now a days....I don't like it either.

I suppose you could go with Tulsa to replace one of the western schools....and maybe like a NIU or something...but yikes. At least if you have two out there you can have a travel partner.

I would rather everybody stay at status quo....but it's not happening....

That should not be a conference. Not because of you, HawkForce, you're presenting us with whoever is left out of this expansion mess.

What pisses me off about this whole expansion issue is the lack of care being shown for geography. It should mean something. Instead, we have people more concerned about TV money, and willing to pick up schools half-way across the world for them.

As long as the Big 10 doesn't feel any pressure to follow suit, I could really care less. If the PAC really wants to go to 16 teams and take on all of Texas's BS, more power to them. I think they're going to find out that stretching a conference from Seattle to Austin is no picnic. And I bet Texas fans are going to LOVE travelling to Pullman to play Washington State. They'll also enjoy playing road games that start at 10:00pm Texas time.

As long as the Big 10 doesn't feel any pressure to follow suit, I could really care less. If the PAC really wants to go to 16 teams and take on all of Texas's BS, more power to them. I think they're going to find out that stretching a conference from Seattle to Austin is no picnic. And I bet Texas fans are going to LOVE travelling to Pullman to play Washington State. They'll also enjoy playing road games that start at 10:00pm Texas time.

Yeah that is how I feel, I think like Stewart Mandel said, Delaney and the Big Ten don't feel any pressure to expand unless ND says "alright, it's time" then and only then will they bring it to 14. And as long as UT isn't involved in that expansion I would be fine.

Don't be surprised to see the Big East make a huge play for ND football (which would basically be a deal with devil a la the Big 12 and Texas) and then extend invitations to KU, KSU, and Mizzou. It wouldn't be a perfect deal, but it would insure their survival.

It's not like the Big East is going to just lay down and die.

Don't be surprised to see the Big East make a huge play for ND football (which would basically be a deal with devil a la the Big 12 and Texas) and then extend invitations to KU, KSU, and Mizzou. It wouldn't be a perfect deal, but it would insure their survival.

It's not like the Big East is going to just lay down and die.

But who is the Big East now? UConn is already talking to the ACC. That leaves West Virginia, South Florida, Louisville, Cincinnati, and Rutgers, with TCU in limbo + a bunch of basketball only Catholic schools. Do you really think those five and half schools are going to lure Notre Dame to finally join a conference when they've turned down the Big Ten for years?

LOL...ND is not going to join the Big East in football. They have just used them as a vehicle for their olympic program. There is only one conference that makes any sense for them to join.

Highly unlikely ND breaks their independents to join a crippled league. If they go anywhere it will be the B10.

I don't see MO being left behind in the B12. They will either find a spot with A&M or in the B10.

I kind of figured WVU might go to SEC....then would replace them probably with a Colorado State or something like that. It would have as BCS qualifying teams or that have been solid in the last decade: Louisville, Missouri, TCU, Cincinatti, Houston, Boise (if we keep them). And even Kansas made one appearance...I would bet they would get a BCS berth.

Pretty much leaves B1G with waiting for ND to give up and Missou.

After that, there is really not that great an option.

A cut-off Rutgers, or having to take Kansas and K-State.

Last option would be taking on a charity case like ISU.

I kind of figured WVU might go to SEC....then would replace them probably with a Colorado State or something like that. It would have as BCS qualifying teams or that have been solid in the last decade: Louisville, Missouri, TCU, Cincinatti, Houston, Boise (if we keep them). And even Kansas made one appearance...I would bet they would get a BCS berth.

You do realize the way of super conferences doesn't leave a question of "Do they keep their BCS slot in the Big East or Big 12?".. it's much more about "What are the ACC, SEC, Big Ten, and Pac-# going to do about their own playoff system, essentially shutting out any other conferences?".

You do realize the way of super conferences doesn't leave a question of "Do they keep their BCS slot in the Big East or Big 12?".. it's much more about "What are the ACC, SEC, Big Ten, and Pac-# going to do about their own playoff system, essentially shutting out any other conferences?".

Well I firmly believe the Big Ten might not expand past 12....certainly not to 16. They're waiting for ND and then pick up a filler team to go to 14....and this bull about "The other conferences will make the Big Ten go to 16..." Bull. You're telling me other conferences would negotiate terms to a conference with OSU, UM, PSU, and Nebraska...as well as the Nebraska's and Iowa's? The Big 10 is going to come out on top of this and it really doesn't matter what other conferences want. The decisions will be made by Silve and Delaney.

I don't see Silve or Delaney wanting to change the status quo....this isn't about changing the playoff system....it's about a huge money grab. And changing the BCS isn't going to line the pockets anymore than it already does.

New conference:
ISU
Kansas
KSU
Missouri
Baylor
Boise
WVU
Cincinatti
BYU
Houston
TCU
Louisville

Most likely scenerio for the left over teams. Although, I'm not too sure WVU or Boise would join. I'd also like to keep Houston out and add USF. There may be two other teams that we could get to join, but at least with 10 teams, you have a full-sized conference. Until everyone else is sitting at 16. In that case, you have to add Houston and teams like Colorado St., Air Force, Memphis (puke), etc.

I think merging the Big East and the B12 into 1 conference is the only way they keep a BCS bid and remain relevant in the football world. They might look to add BYU but Boise State would be a stretch. Adding a couple of Conference USA schools like SMU and Houston would make more sense as they bring you a couple of big markets. Once UConn, Rutgers, and WVU leave the Big East and OU, OSU, Texas, and Texas Tech leave the Big 12 then there is no other choice for the rest of the schools. The schools that might get left out to dry are the non football participating schools of the Big East.

This would get you a respectible BCS football conference:

Kansas
Kansas St
Missouri
Iowa State
Baylor
Cincinnati
South Florida
Louisville
TCU

This would leave openings for BYU, SMU, or Houston to join possibly even all 3.

You then have Conference USA & Mountain West talking about a merger. If this happens then they would get the final BCS bid.

The Big Ten stands pat and Notre Dame remains with what is left of the Big East so they can remain an independent in football. The Big East would be able to exist as a non football conference with 8 members and could look to the Atlantic 10 for additional members.

Latest posts