Ice Fishing Thread

Used to have a buddy who'd take all the dink yellows I could catch. He'd chop 'em up and freeze them in gallon ziplocks to have catfish bait all year. One year he went went on a week long flathead trip with a bunch of people and said they didn't have to get bait anywhere cause he had like 10 frozen blocks of chopped up yellows along in his cooler.

I always thought about pickling those small one's to. Just never did it.

Anyone hit any spots in eastern Iowa? When I was growing up, we'd usually ice fish at MacBride or Kent Park. Once I was old enough to drive, some of my buddies and I would hit a couple of the old sand quarries outside of town. Damn good, although we often got run off, including by the sheriff.

Anyone hit any spots in eastern Iowa? When I was growing up, we'd usually ice fish at MacBride or Kent Park. Once I was old enough to drive, some of my buddies and I would hit a couple of the old sand quarries outside of town. Damn good, although we often got run off, including by the sheriff.
I'm not sure where @99topdawg is located, but I think he's closer to Eastern Iowa than me. He may have some insight.

I grew up fishing pool 9 on the Mississippi. There are some nice jumbo perch in there along with about everything else. Funny how perch get jumbo in the winter but dinky in the summer. What the hell?

Been on Clear Lake several times growing up and as an adult. As mentioned above, a yellow bass destination. But, years ago they did some dredging to provide more vegetation, oxygen and water clarity which really was beneficial for the crappie fishery. Over the years, I think it is slowly changing from yellow bass to crappies which is fine. I think that may have been their goal.

I grew up fishing pool 9 on the Mississippi.
I didn’t grow up fishing river waters on ice so today I’d be frickin terrified to go out on the river. I’d constantly be thinking there’s current or something making the ice thin because I wouldn’t know what I was doing. I drive my SUV out on lakes I know no problemo, but rivers scare the hell out of me.

I can't really help you on Eastern Iowa. I grew up in central Iowa and live in east central, so I know that area pretty well. I don't fish much at public lakes because I have so much luck at private ponds. Luckily a lot of farmers here and back home are more than willing to let people fish in their ponds.

I didn’t grow up fishing river waters on ice so today I’d be frickin terrified to go out on the river. I’d constantly be thinking there’s current or something making the ice thin because I wouldn’t know what I was doing. I drive my SUV out on lakes I know no problemo, but rivers scare the hell out of me.

They can be. People have to be diligent about reading the ice, weather, snow cap effect, wind, etc. in general, but it gets ramped up when river fishing. People typically fish the backwaters, but there can be sneaky currents and variable conditions. I haven't messed around it since I've gotten older and less mobile.

The ice can be very variable for said reasons above. I like at least 6-8" under my ass. I used to go out on 4" when younger but now now. Not worth it, especially fishing in Iowa.

I prefer now to drive out to the rented ice cabin, haul in just what I need and not piss with the quad like I used to or even have to take my auger. Now, you aren't mobile like the young guys but it is comfortable with all the accommodations. It's definitely not roughing it, but it is relaxing, especially not having to haul all that shit. There is a lot of crap including electronics to ice fish correctly, as you know. $$$$$$

I'll post a couple of experiences stories about ice fishing the big river later when have time.