I would to see a highlight video...

FreddyBrown

I would to like see a highlight video...

...that shows all the times it was apparent that the Hawkeyes (or any of them) were really having fun playing hoops.

This is hardly an original observation but I don't recall seeing much of that, even in the few wins. Even under the last guy Iowa played more often like they were enjoying the game, and certainly that was true under Tom Davis.

How long would that video be? I'd really like to be proved wrong about this point. I would rather believe the team is enjoying playing the game, even when they lose. I think when the enjoyment is taken out of the game and it becomes drudgery, your chances of getting much better are shot.

Last edited:
...that shows all the times it was apparent that the Hawkeyes (or any of them) were really having fun playing hoops.

This is hardly an original observation but I don't recall seeing much of that, even in the few wins. Even under the last guy Iowa played more often like they were enjhoying the game, and certainly that was true under Tom Davis.

How long would that video be? I'd really like to be proved wrong about this point. I would rather believe the team is enjoying playing the game, even when they lose. I think when the enjoyment is taken out of the game and it becomes drudgery, your chances of getting much better are shot.

I am not anti-lick but I completely agree with this post...

I've wondered about this, too. You don't see many smiles or high-fiving, even when the team is winning.

I'm sure they are having fun because they get to play DI bball but I bet they are all just frustrated as hell and who can blame them.

I'm sure they are having fun because they get to play DI bball but I bet they are all just frustrated as hell and who can blame them.

As that famous philosopher Ozzie Guillen once said

''Winning is fung,and fung is winning''

Now, I watched the IU -PU game tonite and both sides had their moments of sheer joy in a very entertaining,fast paced, high scoring affair....but in the end Purdue was laughing and IU was not having fun..PU 79 IU 75.

It's hard to express to much joy when you're not winning, or having to work your a$$ off to hold on to win any game.

Cougill always looks very fired up after making a good play or basket

May doesn't have time to enjoy his good plays, because he's hustling his butt off to try to make another one

Gatens always looks serious, can somebody clue me in, was he this way in HS too?

But seriously, when you don't get much success, isn't it bad form to look happy?

Many people say, if we were winning the players would be having fun. I disagree. Anyone that has played basketball competitively knows that the style that you play can have just as much affect on the psyche of a team. Ballers out there...did you want to play in a style that made you play no-switching man defense and a slow down flex offense? Or would you rather play a full court press into a 2-3 or 3-2 matchup zone to save your energy so you could run off of every miss and turnover?

When players don't believe in what they are doing they will not have fun. Contrary to popular belief you can lose and still have fun and good energy. The body language tells me the players don't want to play this way. I do not have any respect for a coach that tries to ram a bad style down their players throats.

Winning is fun. I don't think losing and having fun go together at this level of basketball (at any style or tempo of play).

A team doesn't press or play up tempo because it is fun. They play because they have players who can play that way and coaches who can coach that style. I agree it may not be as entertaining to play a slower tempo, but I would rather not be trying to press with a team who is not physically able to do that. If the Hawkeyes get more depth, maybe they will play a different style, but I would imagine they would not with the current coaching staff in place.

It's not like the players Coach Lickliter recruited didn't know his style of play. The are other teams that play a similar style and win and the players have fun. It's not all style. Wisconsin under Dick Bennett (and somewhat under Bo Ryan) are examples. When they lose, it is not fun for them either.

And ... Iowa definitely hasn't played a no-switching man defense in a while. They have been switching all screens. That's why Cole ends up on McCamey. I am not a fan of that at all.

Re: I would to like see a highlight video...

This is hardly an original observation but I don't recall seeing much of that, even in the few wins. Even under the last guy Iowa played more often like they were enjoying the game, and certainly that was true under Tom Davis.

Excellent observation, Freddy. I think it starts with Lickliter's demeanor. Two examples stick out from last game.

I watched Cole (maybe Fuller) get posted up in the paint. Cole (or Fuller) was defending the Illinois player solid but the guy made a great hook shot. As the ball went in, I thought, wow that was a great shot. On TV I saw Lickliter throw his hands in the air in what looked like disgust at poor defense.

Second, when Iowa went on a nice run in the first half Cole missed dunk that would have really fired the place up. After he missed it you could see him hang his head like a puppy waiting to be admonished by his coach.

It's not necessarily fair to compare, but Ferentz is constantly rooting his guys on, shaking hands giving the pats on the back when they come to the sidelines. I rarely (if ever) see Lickliter encouraging his guys on the sidelines or even giving them the time of day.

Instead I when I see Iowa make a mistake, I see Lickliter turn to his bench coaches (and from his non-verbals) assume he's saying something unflattering.

I think that does translate into serious expressions by the players during games.

Latest posts