I wish ISU had a better football program

bud2380

I could handle losing to ISU if they were ever a competitive team that actually got ranked now and again. Honestly, when was the last time ISU actually cracked the top 25? 2002? I seriously don't know. This game is unfair to Iowa because winning serves no value to the Hawkeyes. However losing is a huge setback. If Iowa had just lost to the 16th ranked Cyclones yesterday then I could say, damn that sucks but we played a good team to 3 OTs and fell short. instead I know they are going to go 6-6 this year and just be another college football also ran. That is what pi$$es me off. Until ISU can win consistently this game will have ZERO value to Iowa from a national (ranking) perspective, and from a prestige perspective. I admit this is sour grapes after losing yesterday, but I am in complete favor of dropping this series. It simply has no value to Iowa from a football standpoint. The value is only that of state bragging rights. ISU has nothing to lose every year against Iowa, while Iowa has nothing to win. That is the reality of the situation and to say otherwise you are kidding yourself.

This isn't a direct shot at ISU but we don't want or need ISU to be a bigger player in college football. Iowa is a small state, we don't need ISU having a bigger presence. It's bad for recruiting, fanbase, and donor dollars. So far Iowa has had very little pressure fighting ISU for those things, for the Hawkeyes, it's best if it stays that way. So no, I would never want ISU to become bigger than what they are now.

Well I'm sorry to say but 6-6 for Iowa this year is definately not out of the question which means you probably lost to an evenly matched team. Any time Iowa State has beat Iowa it has been to a 7 win Iowa team or worse (except 2002). So its not like Iowa loses to Iowa State on a regular basis that costs you a BCS bowl. Iowa didn't lose because they didn't have anything to play for and it was like you all like to say "Iowa States superbowl," they just got beat by a team that in week 2 was better.

Last edited:
Well I'm sorry to say but 6-6 for Iowa this year is definately not out of the question which means you probably lost to an evenly matched team. Any time Iowa State has beat Iowa it has been to a 7 win Iowa team or worse (except 2002). So its not like Iowa loses to Iowa State on a regular basis that costs you a BCS bowl. Iowa didn't lose because they didn't have anything to play for, they just got beat by a team that in week 2 is better.

What are you're criteria for evenly matched? Hypothesized record at the end of the year? In that case we weren't evenly matched. Even if Iowa goes 6-6 I am very hard pressed to think ISU matches that. I do not see four more wins on your schedule.

I'm pretty sure clown fan wishes isu was a better football program, too

I could handle losing to ISU if they were ever a competitive team that actually got ranked now and again. Honestly, when was the last time ISU actually cracked the top 25? 2002? I seriously don't know. This game is unfair to Iowa because winning serves no value to the Hawkeyes. However losing is a huge setback. If Iowa had just lost to the 16th ranked Cyclones yesterday then I could say, damn that sucks but we played a good team to 3 OTs and fell short. instead I know they are going to go 6-6 this year and just be another college football also ran. That is what pi$$es me off. Until ISU can win consistently this game will have ZERO value to Iowa from a national (ranking) perspective, and from a prestige perspective. I admit this is sour grapes after losing yesterday, but I am in complete favor of dropping this series. It simply has no value to Iowa from a football standpoint. The value is only that of state bragging rights. ISU has nothing to lose every year against Iowa, while Iowa has nothing to win. That is the reality of the situation and to say otherwise you are kidding yourself.

ISU's last ranking was in 2005

and by your definition, 65% of Iowa's schedule "will have ZERO value to Iowa from a national (ranking) perspective, and from a prestige perspective."

What are you're criteria for evenly matched? Hypothesized record at the end of the year? In that case we weren't evenly matched. Even if Iowa goes 6-6 I am very hard pressed to think ISU matches that. I do not see four more wins on your schedule.
I just used 6-6 because thats what the OP used. I know you probably see us losing the rest of the year and finishing 2-10, won't be the first time you were wrong... like how you said UNI and Iowa would destroy us.

I just used 6-6 because thats what the OP used. I know you probably see us losing the rest of the year and finishing 2-10, won't be the first time you were wrong... like how you said UNI and Iowa would destroy us.

I think you win some more. But I don't see six.

Haha...the reaction is classic, "we only have ourselves to blame for losing, ISU sucks, we beat ourselves. We should stop playing ISU because it wasn't anything that they did, it was all on ourselves." That looks really good. Mizzou much?

ISU's last ranking was in 2005

and by your definition, 65% of Iowa's schedule "will have ZERO value to Iowa from a national (ranking) perspective, and from a prestige perspective."

100% incorrect. All conference games have huge value as they can lead to a conference championship, or this year a championship game appearance. Again there is no disputing the fact that until ISU is a good program, beating ISU does nothing for Iowa, but losing hurts us big time. Did anyone give Iowa credit for spanking the Cyclones the last two years? No, that was expected was the answer.

There is hardly room for 2 BCS football programs in this state let alone 2 real good ones. I like the situation as it is I just wish we would take care of business against teams like ISU.

awd4cy,

Your first post in this thread is spot on, even though most Iowa fans won't want to admit it. Iowa might have more talented and be a better team at the end of the year just not yesterday.

There is hardly room for 2 BCS football programs in this state let alone 2 real good ones. I like the situation as it is I just wish we would take care of business against teams like ISU.

My point is simply I could stomach a loss to ISU more if they were ever a good team. They are mediocre to bad every year. I don't actually want ISU to prosper, especially at Iowa's expense. It just would make losing easier to swallow. Again, I wish they would cancel the series.

Let's say the series is dropped. Iowa wouldn't schedule any team that would have a positive effect on our national ranking. So instead of Iowa State we would just schedule another Louisiana Monroe. Keep the series...

Well I'm sorry to say but 6-6 for Iowa this year is definately not out of the question which means you probably lost to an evenly matched team. Any time Iowa State has beat Iowa it has been to a 7 win Iowa team or worse (except 2002). So its not like Iowa loses to Iowa State on a regular basis that costs you a BCS bowl. Iowa didn't lose because they didn't have anything to play for and it was like you all like to say "Iowa States superbowl," they just got beat by a team that in week 2 was better.

LOL ALOT if you think the clones get anywhere near 6 wins.

Let's say the series is dropped. Iowa wouldn't schedule any team that would have a positive effect on our national ranking. So instead of Iowa State we would just schedule another Louisiana Monroe. Keep the series...

A win over La Monroe is better than a loss to anyone else.

In response about our conference games, we have to play them, we don't have to play ISU.

Most years we take care of business against our instate foes. That is the good news. The bad news is that it is expected and does very little for us nationally unless we win all of our games.

The game really does nothing for us other than if we lose it. Drop the series. We have more than proven we are the better program over the long haul. Replace ISU with someone like USC. If Minny could play a team like them this year, why can't we?

ISU needs to win every game they are in. Thats why yesterday was a big win for ISU. ISU should get to 5 wins if they win next weekend at Uconn which they are 6.5 point dogs. This is a winnable game and is more important than the IA game because they will be one closer to a bowl. As far as dropping the game off ISU's schedule "You Play to win the game". Or add ISU into the big ten so that it will mean something.

Also not being ranked over the last several years. No problem with us. ISU has had a top 3 toughest schedule the last two years and will continue as long as the big 12 stays together. Were not crying about the schedule were trying to get it done...just like IA