I understand why you don't post Schwartz's articles for comment

homes

Per his logic, why should it just be non-revenue sports that are killed? Any program that doesn't turn a profit should be axed. I don't know about this year, but typically Women's basketball operates in the red. Let's cut that. I don't know about wrestling, but if it's down a nickel, let's terminate that program, too. Kill or be killed, that should be the athletic department's new motto. Hey, it's a cruel world out there, might as well teach these ingrate, leeching athletes this sooner than later. If they want to come to the UI, get out there and market your sport or stand in line just like everybody else, just don't bring your tennis racquet, your field hockey stick, your golf clubs, your speedos, or your spikes. Instead, let the football program support every pet project of the university, just not other sports.

In any budget/sport cutting moves the most important aspects are:

Will it hurt our gender numbers?

Will it hurt our "minority" numbers?

Otherwise xenophobic, misogynistic labels will be cast about which will end the careers of anyone who suggested cutting in such "non-approved" manners.

The university is funded by taxpayers. Cut all sports that lose revenue and are filled, disproportionately, with out of state scholarship participants.

Cut half of all administrative positions. No one will notice a difference. Then do it again.

In any budget/sport cutting moves the most important aspects are:

Will it hurt our gender numbers?

Will it hurt our "minority" numbers?

Otherwise xenophobic, misogynistic labels will be cast about which will end the careers of anyone who suggested cutting in such "non-approved" manners.

The university is funded by taxpayers. Cut all sports that lose revenue and are filled, disproportionately, with out of state scholarship participants.

Cut half of all administrative positions. No one will notice a difference. Then do it again.

Keeping football and basketball aren't going to hurt Iowa's minority numbers.

Don't they have a reserve fund for something like this?

I’ll try to remember to post Dave’s columns. I’m not at my best on Sunday mornings.

They are columns (opinion pieces) that should generate discussion.

Latest posts