I thought Deace was out of line this morning

I have close friends that are die hard Cyclones. They do the same thing, make excuse after excuse for Pollard. Has he done some good things? Sure he has, but the highest profile part of his job is his head coaching hires. He has made some REALLY BAD ones. How many AD's get to hire 2 football coaches, and 2 Basketball coaches????

I know you won't get Cyclone fans to question Pollard. That is why I LOVE Miller's "The Godfather" nickname for him. When he does the Godfather Pollard voice, it cracks me up!

Don't forget two wrestling coaches; this will be the ninth head coach in the three major sports since Pollard took over.

If it were any other school (especially Iowa) that was on it's 3rd head football coach, it's 3rd head basketball coach and had the face of it's wrestling program leave for a lateral move...

I really don't want to go on record defending Pollard, he did force out McCarney, but Cheesed*ck left on his own accord after swearing allegiance to Ames. He was a DB. Rhodes is the second FB coach that Pollard has hired.

McDermott is leaving on his own accord-and he should have been fired-so that one is also not on Pollard. I may be wrong but the next hire will be Pollard's 3rd BB hire.

The golden child did NOT make a lateral move. He got his salary trippled....NOT a lateral move. You would leave for that too. That being said-I think CS would have been more successful at ISU than Penn State-but Iowa still gets to pound his team every year. There is justice in that. I think that the current wrestling coach is Pollard's 2nd hire for that sport.

It is also well known that the ISU athletic department is financially much better off since Pollard took it over...you may not think he's done a great job, but the facts are that not all the coaches leaving is on him and his department is running in the black. At a place like ISU, that is probably a job well done.

I will agree though, that as much as I like the morning show, it is one way with Deace on this subject.

Pollard should not solely be evaluated based upon which, or how many of his coaches leave. There's multiple variables that lead to departures, as some have already mentioned. He should, however, be {partially, and significantly} rated upon his ability to seek out and convince talent to come to Ames -- let's face it, that's not an easy task. So:

How'd they do?

- DMac (under Pollard's tenure)
- Chizik
- Sanderson

How are they doing (in comparison to established track record prior to Pollard's arrival)?

- Rhoads
- Jackson

FWIW, I hear Pollard's wheelhouse is fundraising, and he's NOT great at talent evaluations, nor consistently liked by those he employs. Do with this information as you like.

Latest posts