I think we are a lock for the post season

DuffMan

Realistically the NIT is out for this year. Unless we finish 4-1 the last five games (or 3-2 and make it to the B10 tourney finals) it’s just not going to happen. That said….

Provided we finish within a game or two of .500 (for the record I think we finish the regular season at 15-16 (7-11)) I think we are a lock for a post season tournament. As everyone but Ryno knows all teams are eligible for the CBI provided they make a “bid†to host a game. I think Iowa does that this year, for a couple of reasons.

Growth:
First of all there has been some real clear momentum for the team this year. I think Barta realizes that he needs to help let that grow. It would also be extremely valuable to the team and it’s growth. Any kind of post season tournament will help them down the road.

Fans:
Don’t get me wrong, we haven’t seen the fan support and Carver environment of the 80’s and 90’s, but things are improving there. I think Barta needs to thank the fans that have come back by giving them additional opportunities to see the team play.

Gatens Factor:
Honestly this one should probably be first, and it’s probably enough all by itself. Matt Gatens is a home town Hawk. He’s spend 4 mostly miserable years here. I think Iowa owes it to Matt to give him the chance to experience the post season. Also don’t underestimate the power of Mike Gatens here. He’s got some influence inside the program, and he’s in with much of the boy’s club that supports Iowa basketball. If that club want’s Iowa to bid on a CBI game, it WILL happen.

We Can Afford It:
So the CBI allows teams to bid to host games. The ideal situation would see Iowa make up enough money on the gate and concessions to cover the cost. But for Iowa it’s not required. The athletic department is on solid footing, it could afford to take a moderate loss on this. I think they probably sell tickets for $5, get 4-5000 paid, and call it good. Hell, make the tickets general admission (except for the high donor club seats courtside) and pack it in close, make it a good environment.

I would LOVE for the Hawks to play in any postseason tourney. One and done is thrilling at any level. Also, if we are to make strides next year, that group of returners would have experienced the postseason planning, travel, etc... And Matt Gatens deserves it. Go Hawks!

Very plausible as you lay it out, but who are we going to beat? My strategy for the rest of the season would be for Gatens, Marble and White to get up a lot more shots. We are wasting possessions throwing it to non scorers who travel, charge, get it ripped, etc. I am still trying to figure out why we didn't run more stuff for Gatens in the first half. Crimminy, he had the former Lady Lions practice player and walk on guarding him, but we didn't do much to get him open.

Yes but nobody cares about the CBI tourney but if the mighty Hogs get hot and win all the fans can chant "we're #100, we're #100"

With the way we play defense, you are being critical of our offense? Always room for improvement, but Frans ability to get these guys to play good defense is what is going to tell the tale one way or the other.....right now its not good.

We're 148 RPI, I think post season is very likely. NCAA takes like 9 or 10 from the BIG. I would think the next couple would go to NIT.

Live-RPI.com

serious clark? 9 or 10?

illinois, Iowa, Neb, PSU all are for sure out. that leaves minny and purdue as likely bubble teams. yes I think NW gets in based on strength of schedule and RPI.

big ten gets 7 in max.

you are high off your *** if you think the entire big ten deserves a post season bid.

We're 148 RPI, I think post season is very likely. NCAA takes like 9 or 10 from the BIG. I would think the next couple would go to NIT.

Live-RPI.com

9 or 10 teams? 7 is the most the B1G has ever had:
Seven Big Ten Teams to Play in NCAA Tournament - BIG TEN CONFERENCE Official Athletic Site

From article:

A record-tying seven Big Ten teams were selected to participate in the 2011 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship. Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue and Wisconsin will represent the conference in this year's tournament. Seven Big Ten teams also participated in 1990 and 2009.

Latest posts