I think there will be a meltdown in Illini country tomorrow

TecmoSuperHawk

How about a topic not about our coaching situation.

With New Mexico State winning and assuming Utah State gets an at-large bid (not a for sure thing though) that might knock Illinois out of the tournament. I predict meltdown city and many fans slamming the tournament committee chair and the last at-large teams that got in ahead of them. It will be kind of funny.

I think personally that Illinois should go before Virginia Tech and Mississippi State, but just have a feeling the committee will leave Illinois out.

How about a topic not about our coaching situation.

With New Mexico State winning and assuming Utah State gets an at-large bid (not a for sure thing though) that might knock Illinois out of the tournament. I predict meltdown city and many fans slamming the tournament committee chair and the last at-large teams that got in ahead of them. It will be kind of funny.

I think personally that Illinois should go before Virginia Tech and Mississippi State, but just have a feeling the committee will leave Illinois out.

I hate Illinois as much as anyone but i think they deserve to be in.

I agree busabus on both fronts. I hate Illinois and I think they deserve to be in. Just think they will get snubbed. And if that happens, I will not feel bad for them.

I think Minnesota played it's way in regardless of the outcome tomorrow and that didn't help Illinois' cause either.

Minnesota is in for sure and they deserve it but theyve had some good fortune. Playing MSU without Allen was huge and then beating Purdue looks great but without Hummel they are a shell of their former selves. I think they deserve to get in but they caught some good breaks

If Illinois gets left out i will laugh and crack a celebratory beer

I hate Illinois as much as anyone but i think they deserve to be in.

Anyone who can say he thinks Illinois should be in doesn't deserve to call himself an Illanoy hater. Please turn in your card immediately.

FWIW, I think they're out--but I am proudly non-objective.

A 19-14 team in the field? Maybe in the days when the Big Ten was a true powerhouse conference, but not now. But I'm rooting for Minny to win tomorrow to take another at large off the table and help seal Illanoy's fate.

I think maybe Tigger, Redbird and I are the biggest Illanoy haters around, and more of you need to follow our lead.

I am happy for Minny and Tubby. I will not lose sleep over the illini and Weber.
14 losses is a bridge too far after the upsets with NM St and Houston today...boo hoo.

I was reading the thread on the Illini scout site and they are ripping on Utah State right now and wondering what UTEP has done to deserve a bid. They only want to point to their quality wins and conveniently leave out their huge loss total out of the equation when discussing their chances.

Illinois has some real nice wins this year and played a solid schedule but UTEP had won 16 games in a row and Utah St 17 in a row until today. That's impressive no matter what conference you're in. Ok, maybe it wouldn't be impressive in the SWAC or MEAC, but you get my point. The WAC and CUSA are decent, not great, but decent conferences. They both deserve to be in.

Anyone who can say he thinks Illinois should be in doesn't deserve to call himself an Illanoy hater. Please turn in your card immediately.

FWIW, I think they're out--but I am proudly non-objective.

A 19-14 team in the field? Maybe in the days when the Big Ten was a true powerhouse conference, but not now. But I'm rooting for Minny to win tomorrow to take another at large off the table and help seal Illanoy's fate.

I think maybe Tigger, Redbird and I are the biggest Illanoy haters around, and more of you need to follow our lead.

I think Minnesota already has an at large bid. Illinois has 5 wins against the top 35, thats the main reason i think they deserve to be in over a team like Virginia Tech who has 2 wins against the top 35. I hate Illinois but can still look at their resume objectively

Yeah, well, Joey Brackets is on my side. ;)

I didnt say they would be in, just that i think they should be before V Tech. If Joey Brackets has them out they probably are. That guy is ridiculously good with his projections. Back to what the OP said - when they get left out the fallout from Illini nation will be epic :)

I was reading the thread on the Illini scout site and they are ripping on Utah State right now and wondering what UTEP has done to deserve a bid. They only want to point to their quality wins and conveniently leave out their huge loss total out of the equation when discussing their chances.

Illinois has some real nice wins this year and played a solid schedule but UTEP had won 16 games in a row and Utah St 17 in a row until today. That's impressive no matter what conference you're in. Ok, maybe it wouldn't be impressive in the SWAC or MEAC, but you get my point. The WAC and CUSA are decent, not great, but decent conferences. They both deserve to be in.

UTEP and Utah State have one thing working for them right now, the PAC 10. I think the comittee is going to take in to account some geography and they will consider these schools "Western schools". I don't think they will want to isolate the Western half of the entire country by having only 1 or maybe 2 at larges (im thinking Cal and NM and I'm sure Im missing some WAC or Mountain West schools) from west of the continental divide. Just an opinion though.

UTEP and Utah State have one thing working for them right now, the PAC 10. I think the comittee is going to take in to account some geography and they will consider these schools "Western schools". I don't think they will want to isolate the Western half of the entire country by having only 1 or maybe 2 at larges (im thinking Cal and NM and I'm sure Im missing some WAC or Mountain West schools) from west of the continental divide. Just an opinion though.

I don't study this anything like I used to when Iowa was in the running, but from what I heard yesterday the talking heads all think UTEP is in. Utah State has a great record but probably not much of a SOS, but I think it's hard to keep a 27-7 team out in favor of a 19-14 team.

I find it hard to believe the Big Ten would get 6.

The committee isn't going to look at this conference already has x number of teams in and exclude another because of that. It may work out that the Big Ten only gets 5 in, but it will not be because the committee couldn't see the Big Ten as a 6 team conference.

It really will all depend on exactly what the committee decides to reward this year. Will SOS be a big thing? If so Va Tech is gone and Illinois is in. Will bad losses be taken into account more? If so then Illinois could be in trouble and a team like Seton Hall (all losses to teams 1-100 RPI) could be taken. The bubble got squeezed yesterday and there is very little room left now.

When I wrote my Iowa-MN preview, I said if MN can beat Iowa and then get into the BTT champ game, a 21-13 record should get them in. They have a #16 rating on KenPom, it would be unheard of to leave them out.

Imo, If Minny is in, Illinois is out. The Big 10 only gets 5 teams in the NCAA's.

The committee doesn't look at # of bids/league so this reasoning will play no bearing on whether or not Illinois gets a bid. I think with Houston and New Mexico St winning it may have pushed Illinois out. I do agree they are more deserving than Va Tech who played one of the weakest non conf schedules in history.

I don't study this anything like I used to when Iowa was in the running...

Just caught this comment. So true for me also... I may not even watch the selection show this year... how sad is that, and what does it say about Iowa basketball?

Latest posts