I think the Hawks are closer than it may seem

Cover3

Yes, our defense was awful the other night; terribly so. But, Fran will right the ship, as this team already has shown it can bounce back from some ugly losses and cure its defects (over short stretches, at least).

The thing that got lost from the other night is that, in spite of Indiana scoring nearly every possession (it seemed), we actually trimmed the lead and had SEVERAL chances down 12 with 10-15 minutes to go to cut it to single digits. Just having a more athletic team that, as mentioned by many other posters, can stop the ball on defense would have given us a shot there, even after being down by 17 at halftime.

Losing Gatens will hurt, and the new players next year will almost certainly have some obvious 'growing pains' adjusting to major college ball. But, two things about basketball (esp. in contrast to football):

1) Freshmen have to make an adjustment, but many more seem to do it well in basketball. Our guys coming in aren't Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, but the class's high ranking suggests they can ball. I think they will, and I think the defensive end is the first place it shows up next year.

2) A few guys can totally change a program. One player is a fifth of your lineup, and four are 40% of your two-deep. We know Fran will play guys right away, so we will have a totally different team next year. Gatens is solid, Cartwright has his moments, and Brommer and Archie have contributed at times; but by the end of next season, I feel like it will be apparent that we've upgraded.

I'm hoping for a few more wins this year, to get to about 14 or 15. I would expect similar improvement next year, hopefully to 17 or so and an NIT bid with a young team. There will inevitably be meltdowns when it's apparent we won't be going 23-8 next year, but I won't be part of it.

It is happening, and look for next year to have fewer blowout losses (save for @MSU and @Illinois probably; every Iowa BBall team's rites of passage), a couple more big wins, and to hopefully just have enough horses to clean up against 'lesser' opponents.

Hopefully we can turn the D around tonight and pull out the W. I liked lthe starting lineup the other night, D just needs to step up.

I'm thinking NCAA's next year. There is talent here and with some more size down low, we will have a team that can win. A good non-conference performance will set us up for an above .500 record in the conference and an at-large bid.

Let's just skip the whole NIT thing ;0

From quotes in the Register.. Franny doesn't care about defense, just need lots of offense to score more points than the opponent. Should be exciting basketball to watch, will just be sad losing all the time.

From quotes in the Register.. Franny doesn't care about defense, just need lots of offense to score more points than the opponent. Should be exciting basketball to watch, will just be sad losing all the time.

That isn't remotely close to what he said. Oh, were you trolling? You got me, carry on.

Really excited for what Clemmons and Ingram are going to bring. Both have pretty good size. Both are very quick. Both are great defenders. All of which we haven't had in our backcourt in a long time. Having 3 or 4 guys who can get to the rim or create their own shot will make for an entirely different next year. Add in some legit posts and I think the Hawks are dancing next year.

This just seems like our last gasp week in terms of a possible winning season. Must win vs PSU on saturday,and tonite vs Minny is nearly a must-win game.
If we do get swept, then we go on the road, it could spiral downward.
Of course,this season is not critical,outside of maintaining respectablility.
Iowa needs to fill 2 schollys before the beginning of next season,and so these games are the last chance to make a positive impression on 2013 recruits.

The Hawks need to right themselves to avoid finishing 12th or 11th....9th is a good goal,with 8 teams headed to the NCAA tourny. Sweeping this week would put them in good shape to finish ahead of Neb,PSU,and NW.

i wish fran wouldnt be afraid of barta and big ten when they tell him no more chairslamming.them guys aren`t what man is supposed to be.

Latest posts