I think Jake got a special talk from a former UI QB

Foval21

I seriously think jake's game was aided by Drew tate. With him there I would bet he gave jake some words of advice about how to make the plays that would help him. There is a reason that jake won the starting job and I believe it is more than he is the safer bet. Drew had an attitude and if some of that rubbed off on Jake I think we will see more of the guy that won the job and not the overly conservative qb we saw early this year. I think Jake took kf's preaching about turnovers a little too far and went to the point of trying to hard to be perfect. But all great qbs must take a risk here and there and drew could have given Jake a good lesson.

Ultimately, Ruddock didn't appear to audible nearly as much. They ran the plays that were called, and he moved the offense with much more efficiency.

Drew Tate is my favorite QB of the KF era, but his hot-headed approach was our undoing in several games in 2005 & 2006. Iowa's 2005 offense was explosive, and it was probably the last time Iowa was "better than average" in that department.

Ultimately, Ruddock didn't appear to audible nearly as much. They ran the plays that were called, and he moved the offense with much more efficiency.

Drew Tate is my favorite QB of the KF era, but his hot-headed approach was our undoing in several games in 2005 & 2006. Iowa's 2005 offense was explosive, and it was probably the last time Iowa was "better than average" in that department.

totally agree. mistake to equate 'hot-headedness' with 'passion'. i don't get why people think you aren't 'passionate' if you don't act like a meat head.

I personally think that the last 3 weeks provided enough motivation don't you think? Telling you it had to be a long, long 3 weeks for that young man and to hear all the talk and read all the papers, kudo's to JR for that performance yesterday.. Damn impressive for what he endured..

It's foolish to think Tate had anything to do with Jake's performance. I think Jake and his offense have a self-driven desire to expand their results. And then they did.

It's foolish to think Tate had anything to do with Jake's performance. I think Jake and his offense have a self-driven desire to expand their results. And then they did.

I don't disagree that Jake would be motivated on his own. But to think that a guy that went through the ringer at iowa of people calling him the savior to being the guy people blamed wouldn't have words of wisdom for the QB going through something similar is just ignorant.

I don't disagree that Jake would be motivated on his own. But to think that a guy that went through the ringer at iowa of people calling him the savior to being the guy people blamed wouldn't have words of wisdom for the QB going through something similar is just ignorant.
I gaurantee drew gave no valuable advice.

Drew is dumber than a post

I personally think that the last 3 weeks provided enough motivation don't you think? Telling you it had to be a long, long 3 weeks for that young man and to hear all the talk and read all the papers, kudo's to JR for that performance yesterday.. Damn impressive for what he endured..

Jake is waaaaay too smart to read anything in the Rag's, or listen to message board baloney.
Having a cerebral QB has a lot of advantages. Go Hawks

I seriously think jake's game was aided by Drew tate. With him there I would bet he gave jake some words of advice about how to make the plays that would help him. There is a reason that jake won the starting job and I believe it is more than he is the safer bet. Drew had an attitude and if some of that rubbed off on Jake I think we will see more of the guy that won the job and not the overly conservative qb we saw early this year. I think Jake took kf's preaching about turnovers a little too far and went to the point of trying to hard to be perfect. But all great qbs must take a risk here and there and drew could have given Jake a good lesson.

First, Jake played more aggressively because he's feeling pressure from CJ. Before he probably figured the only way to lose the job was throwing INTs. Yes, he might have been coached that way. That's why the 2 QB system is working. Second, he won the job 1.5 years ago. CJ has gotten a lot better since then.

Last edited:
Its crazy to think that the ghost of Iowa quarterbacks past would have visited Jake Rudock late at night before the game. I can't imagine what Jake Christensen could have told him about playing quarterback while being named Jake.

This is really funny since I was standing near Jake after the game outside Kinnick when he and Drew were introduced to each other and had little more than a "good game" type of conversation. Pretty sure since that is the first time they met there probably weren't a lot of words of advice before the game...that and Drew was so tanked up before the game he couldn't have given any discernible advice anyways.

Latest posts