I think its better for Iowa to play Illinois instead of Minnesota

Win5002

I know there is talk of the Iowa/Minnesota rivalry because they have played so long. Maybe at one time it was a big game but I feel it is more important for Iowa to play Illinois every year and have a presence in that state due to recruiting.

Iowa pulls so many recruits from Illinois that I want to see the Hawks continue to play them every year and beat them regularly. The recruiting of Illinois is a very important piece in Iowa's success in my opinion.

I think you will find a fairly even split of Minnesota, Illinois and Wisconsin as our big rivals. The problem is you throw Nebraska in the mix and the fact that Iowa and Illinois isn't protected as it stands today, so that game becomes 4th fiddle.

Win5002, it isnt just the # of times we have played Minnesota. It is the circumstances behind how we became rivals. Maybe you should study up on Hawkeye football before you throw away the Floyd of Rosedale trophy.

I think you will find a fairly even split of Minnesota, Illinois and Wisconsin as our big rivals. The problem is you throw Nebraska in the mix and the fact that Iowa and Illinois isn't protected as it stands today, so that game becomes 4th fiddle.

the zookers are our rivals?

the bronze pig means more than you think

It is highly probable now that Ill. will be in our division so we will play them every year,as well as NW.
Minny should be our crossover rival,as their it tremendous tradition in this rivalry. What other school's fans start chanting ''Iowa sucks'' at random times during games with other opponents?
Seriously, for Iowa fans in northern Iowa, minny is a huge travel game,and the #1 rival. Wisky and Minny are light years ahead of Ill as a football rival but we cannot have what we want, I guess...so Minny and Ill are it.

Illinois as a rival isn't even on the same planet as Minny. Floyd means more than anything east of the Mississippi.

Ideally Iowa would end up in the following division:

Michigan
Nebraska
Iowa
Michigan State
Illinois
Northwestern

Then we crossover with our "protected" game against Minny as the last game of the regular season.

EDIT: This, of course, is "ideal' after we've learned that Iowa won't be in Wiscy's division and will likely be in a division with either OSU/Michigan. The perfect situation would have been a straight East/West geographical split.

Ideally Iowa would end up in the following division:

Michigan
Nebraska
Iowa
Michigan State
Illinois
Northwestern

Then we crossover with our "protected" game against Minny as the last game of the regular season.

I agree with your division/crossover game however, disagree with when it will be played. Any crossover game will have to be played earlier in the season to prevent a rematch in the B10 Championship Game. The last game of the season will be a Inter-Division rivalry game. IA/kNU, UM/MSU, Ill/jNW.

It's all about the PIG!!!

I understand what you are saying about recruiting, but as a traditionalist I say recruiting will come our way when two things happen.

1. Hawks keep winning.

2. The Zooker will soon be fired.

But the PIG stays!!!

Illinois is a rival. In case you have been off the planet, they are a border state, and 25% of undergrads are from Illinois.

I'd rather keep Minnesota than Illinois. It's not even about the tradition. I would much rather visit Minneapolis for a weekend than Champaign.

Illinois is a rival. In case you have been off the planet, they are a border state, and 25% of undergrads are from Illinois.

I consider a rival to be a team that you hate, despise, you look forward to absolutely wrecking their season. I do not see that with the Zookers.

I see hate for the bug-eaters and we haven't even played them. We take over the Minny stadium and I doubt anyone would shed a tear if we ran the score up to triple digits. I have a ton of respect for Joe Pa and his team, I hate PsUckS fans. I love wrecking there year and hearing them whine non-stop about how they got screwed. Nothing like beating scUM in the big house. I like to hear the wiskey boys talk big then come to IC and take a pounding.

The Zookers? meh who cares. we may compete with Ill for recruits but that is about it.

The Clinton, Burlington, Quad Cities, Muscatine, Dubuque, etc. hawkeye fans would probably disagree.

The Clinton, Burlington, Quad Cities, Muscatine, Dubuque, etc. hawkeye fans would probably disagree.
Clinton guy here. I don't want to stop playing for Floyd, but I'd be okay with taking a few years hiatus (if Wisconsin is ultimately selected as protected) until the 9 game schedule starts in 2015 in order to make sure we can play Illinois and NW annually.

Then when all is said and done Iowa plays all possible rivals (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern, Nebraska) every year and I am one happy Hawkeye!

If we had to miss a school til the 9 game schedule came into play...let it be Wis.
Minny is a weak sister rival..want them.
Illinois is a weak sister rival..want them.
Neb,NW are tougher but rivals..want them.
MSU and Michigan will just be teams in our division...altho Michigan is fun to beat.
MSU is not a team I would like to play every year...dirty,physical team that takes a toll on the Hawks.

Latest posts