I THINK I OVERRATED OUR DEFENSE

longtimer

I dont remember a sack in the first 2 games? Against a team that is good (not great) and one that will lose to UNI by 40. Our defensive line is slow and cant get off blocks. Our corners have been beaten Badly for big plays and our line backers I think are decent. Im still a bit confused as to how Morris will be playing a long time (according to the Head Coach). I just dont see him making a lot of bif Middle Linebacker types of Plays?

No sacks. Secondary play not so good. Defensive line play adequate. They clog their lanes get some push and they have been keeping the offensive players off the LB's. Overall the defense did a good job of stopping the run yesterday. But that's against Missouri State.

In this era of football, the stat known as the sack is going to wither away. The fewer teams who run a pro style offense, the fewer the number of sacks...look at tackles for loss instead...when a QB runs with the ball and is tackled behind the LOS, that is not going to be listed as a sack, rather a TFL. And in some cases, this is a judgement call.

That said, this is not an elite DL...but they are better than they were one year ago and I think they have a chance to get better as the year goes along.

Most of the sacks in this type of defense are going to come from the Blitzer's and yesterday there seemed to be some communication problems. I saw a couple of times where the blitz ran into the defensive lineman. They'll get that cleaned up.

In this era of football, the stat known as the sack is going to wither away. The fewer teams who run a pro style offense, the fewer the number of sacks...look at tackles for loss instead...when a QB runs with the ball and is tackled behind the LOS, that is not going to be listed as a sack, rather a TFL. And in some cases, this is a judgement call.

That said, this is not an elite DL...but they are better than they were one year ago and I think they have a chance to get better as the year goes along.

This is a case of your perception not being reality, Jon. In reality, sacks are pretty stagnant. For the past 5 years, the average sacks per team, for FBS teams, was as follows

2008- 24.6
2009- 25.6
2010- 25.5
2011- 25.5
2012- 26.0

sacks aren't withering

EDIT: I realize you're suppressing my posts from appearing on the main board, but I know that you specifically can still read it.

Last edited:
If we don't see improvement on defense I think we get ripped to shreds in Big 10 play. Need better safety play or teams are gonna throw deep on us constantly. Our lbs look solid other than Morris, no need to even discuss his play. On the d line I really thought we'd see more from Faith and Jaleel. We are in dire need of play makers up front.

I think KF has an opportunity to prove his coaching abilities this year. There is a lot more talent and playmakers on this team then last year. I think if we can win 7+ games and go to a bowl game then KF can regain some good will with the fans. If they win less than 6 and have mind numbing loses than I think it's over. He went get fired but he will never get the fan support again.

i have a great idea. Stop playing every team for the 4th qtr. I understand against Michigan and Ohio State but do we really need to play for the 4th qtr against MAC and D 2 schools?

I don't know how you could overrate this D. It was really bad last year and we have the same players, what would cause a person to think we would be much better?

Latest posts