I refuse to read any other threads besides this...

To those of you who called me "crazy" for picking Iowa, 41-9, I plead guilty. I am an idiot. OK?

Now, as most have rightly noted, one game does not make a season, or a program. Here's a needed dose of reality: Iowa has won 17 of its last 20 games. And those three losses look like this: by 7 points @ #24 Arizona, by 7 points to NW with Stanzi hurt, and by 3 points in OT @ #5 Ohio State with Stanzi hurt.

17-3 ain't bad, especially when even in an ugly, horrible game in Tucson, the Hawkeyes still had enough heart to tie the game midway through the 4th quarter. We all might also remember that even mighty Ohio State lost a similar game @Purdue last year, but it didn't ruin the Buckeyes' season.

The thing about the Arizona loss that hurts the most is that it gives the Iowa bashers more ammunition. And that's a shame. But what's done is done. Now it's up to Iowa fans and Hawkeye players and coaches to make the improvements necessary so that this season will still be one to remember.

Last edited:
We lost. My heart hurts too. It really, really, really does. I won't sleep for days. Call me a freak. I am OK with that.

This one stings because I don't feel like Arizona is a better team. But when you give them two special teams TD (to me the blocked punt that set them up 1st and goal is a special teams TD) and a lucky bounce off McNutt's hands for a pick six, you are not going to win. The fact that we spotted them 21 points and STILL tied it in the 4th quarter is amazing to me. Maybe that makes the heart break a little more? Probably.

Anyhow, I have seen people on Facebook (again I have not read any other threads here) saying things like "bench Stanzi," Our defense sucks," Clayborn is soft," "We lost because of Norm not being there," and yes... "Fire Ferentz..." :eek:

This is a f***ing joke. Guys, the disappointment I am feeling right now is worse than I have ever felt. The reason for this is because for the first time ever I legitimately thought we could compete for a national championship. I really and truly did. That chance is all but gone now. HOWEVER, the rest of the goals are still in place. A Big Ten title and a trip to Pasadena would be phenomenal! And with our schedule, you never know what can happen with an 11-1 record.

Yes, this game was the difference between a 5-0 start or a 4-1 start heading to Michigan, but it is not the end of the world. We will rebound. I STILL think this group of seniors is special and will come back stronger than ever next week and the rest of the season. Lick our wounds, work out the kinks and let's get back on track next week vs Testicle State! GO HAWKS!!!

I agree with you 100%. Actually it was 3 special team TD'S you forgot the kick return

We lost. My heart hurts too. It really, really, really does. I won't sleep for days. Call me a freak. I am OK with that.

This one stings because I don't feel like Arizona is a better team. But when you give them two special teams TD (to me the blocked punt that set them up 1st and goal is a special teams TD) and a lucky bounce off McNutt's hands for a pick six, you are not going to win. The fact that we spotted them 21 points and STILL tied it in the 4th quarter is amazing to me. Maybe that makes the heart break a little more? Probably.

Anyhow, I have seen people on Facebook (again I have not read any other threads here) saying things like "bench Stanzi," Our defense sucks," Clayborn is soft," "We lost because of Norm not being there," and yes... "Fire Ferentz..." :eek:

This is a f***ing joke. Guys, the disappointment I am feeling right now is worse than I have ever felt. The reason for this is because for the first time ever I legitimately thought we could compete for a national championship. I really and truly did. That chance is all but gone now. HOWEVER, the rest of the goals are still in place. A Big Ten title and a trip to Pasadena would be phenomenal! And with our schedule, you never know what can happen with an 11-1 record.

Yes, this game was the difference between a 5-0 start or a 4-1 start heading to Michigan, but it is not the end of the world. We will rebound. I STILL think this group of seniors is special and will come back stronger than ever next week and the rest of the season. Lick our wounds, work out the kinks and let's get back on track next week vs Testicle State! GO HAWKS!!!

HawkeyeState--great post, per usual.

Fans having high hopes is fine. I won't get suckered into it because I've seen Iowa teams with high expectations fall flat too many times. I knew darn well our offensive line was suspect, our special teams play is horrid, and our secondary weak.

Stanzi is still erratic. Our receivers still drop too many balls. Our running game is one injury away from being non-existent.

I predicted 8-4 before the season. I stand by that, although neither 7-5 or 9-3 would surprise me.

Iowa lost last night. It is not the end of the world. This can still be a good season. It will be interesting to see how the players react. Do they cry in their beer or do they pull themselves up by the bootstraps and put a chip on their shoulder? I wish the Penn State game was this week instead of Ball State. Beating a hapless Ball State team isn't going to tell us anything, and I'm betting the players want to jump right back in against a quality opponent (at least I hope they feel this way).

There is a long way to go yet and anything can happen.

Fans having high hopes is fine. I won't get suckered into it because I've seen Iowa teams with high expectations fall flat too many times. I knew darn well our offensive line was suspect, our special teams play is horrid, and our secondary weak.

Stanzi is still erratic. Our receivers still drop too many balls. Our running game is one injury away from being non-existent.

I predicted 8-4 before the season. I stand by that, although neither 7-5 or 9-3 would surprise me.

Iowa lost last night. It is not the end of the world. This can still be a good season. It will be interesting to see how the players react. Do they cry in their beer or do they pull themselves up by the bootstraps and put a chip on their shoulder? I wish the Penn State game was this week instead of Ball State. Beating a hapless Ball State team isn't going to tell us anything, and I'm betting the players want to jump right back in against a quality opponent (at least I hope they feel this way).

There is a long way to go yet and anything can happen.

I get what you are saying here, but I think the BSU game is exactly what we need on a short week after a tough, physical game like last night. Plus we will be missing some key guys next week that can hopefully make it back for PSU.

Finally decided to get online (didn't want to read all the dribble that many of the so-called experts would be spewing forth)... lo and behold found this thread and instantly felt the relief knowing there are other Hawks that see it as I do! :) Heavy hearted but not broken... been a Hawk fan way too long for that! They'll bounce back and show the nation what we believe in!

GO HAWKS!

Great Post and one of the best ones I have ever read...I think we will have a great season!

Let's show everyone on Saturday why it is great to be a Hawkeye!
Those posters who are saying Fire Ferentz, Bench Stanzi and Clayborn is soft...let's see
you put the pads on and get in there....these posters have never played football or probably not played any competitive sports in general.

Latest posts