I really, really hope...

#1DieHardHawk

That Frost falls flat on his face. Or, at the least, hears, "Hi. I'm Chris Hansen from Dateline NBC."

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...braskas-scott-frost-versus-iowas-kirk-ferentz

I don't think it will happen, but, if there is a God and prayers are answered, well...

As a fan of the "yellow and black," I would propose that if Athlon sports wants to be considered a credible source of news, then it should post a disclaimer on articles written by obvious homers.

That Frost falls flat on his face. Or, at the least, hears, "Hi. I'm Chris Hansen from Dateline NBC."

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...braskas-scott-frost-versus-iowas-kirk-ferentz

I don't think it will happen, but, if there is a God and prayers are answered, well...

As a fan of the "yellow and black," I would propose that if Athlon sports wants to be considered a credible source of news, then it should post a disclaimer on articles written by obvious homers.
It’s a little bit harder to get by on air raid and no defense in the Big Ten, especially when you have the recruiting base of Iowa State meets Kansas.

I don’t think Frost is a BETTER football coach than Ferentz. But, I think he is MORE motivated, he is younger, he relates better to college age kids, he recruits harder and better, he’s got more to prove, his A.D. and school and fanbase are more demanding for wins so he has to be more creative. the list is long for reasons why Frost could pass Ferentz and not be the better coach.

I think Frost is going to recruit more kids who are B1G level ready earlier than Ferentz does. Ferentz & co seem to be stuck in the “we’re not sexy, we’re Iowa” and they seem to love the kids who are program kids who buy in. Frost seems to think he can get more higher level, more ready sooner/faster kids who have higher ceilings.

I think the difference is going to be more in approach to recruiting and athleticism than anything else.

It’s a little bit harder to get by on air raid and no defense in the Big Ten, especially when you have the recruiting base of Iowa State meets Kansas.
This.

Frost is going to get a cold hard dose of reality once he starts playing in the Big Ten. Even when he was a player himself he had one tough regular season game a year and the rest of their shit conference were stuffed animals.

Good luck throwing the ball in the B1G and his 3-4 defense is going to fall on it’s face against the pro style offenses. You want to know why no one runs a 3-4 (Wisconsin’s isn’t a true 3-4) I. The Big Ten? Because it doesn’t work.

Frost has too big of a head from coaching junior high ball whether he admits it or not. I’m going to love watching him crash and burn, the only bad thing is those nebraska homers will probably give him ten years of trying because he’s their lord and savior, Ginger Jesus.

I don’t think Frost is a BETTER football coach than Ferentz. But, I think he is MORE motivated, he is younger, he relates better to college age kids, he recruits harder and better, he’s got more to prove, his A.D. and school and fanbase are more demanding for wins so he has to be more creative. the list is long for reasons why Frost could pass Ferentz and not be the better coach.

I think Frost is going to recruit more kids who are B1G level ready earlier than Ferentz does. Ferentz & co seem to be stuck in the “we’re not sexy, we’re Iowa” and they seem to love the kids who are program kids who buy in. Frost seems to think he can get more higher level, more ready sooner/faster kids who have higher ceilings.

I think the difference is going to be more in approach to recruiting and athleticism than anything else.

Lol, it sounds like you are describing all the things that could make him a better coach.

Well sure, if you take away all things that Frost may do to make his team better, then he no longer can be the better coach.

I love all these articles prior to a guy stepping into a completely different type of conference. Frost should be very proud of his previous tenure and his success. There is nothing to take away from that other than he's a very good coach. That being said, the B10 is a different animal. You have to play every week...and it's physical every week. Playing the schedule they are playing this year...I have no doubt they will upset someone...but it's playing after the upset the following week on the road at OSU or a like program where you will see the blemishes.

You also have to contend with playing Iowa on a short week after a grueling B10 season. The Huskers have been decimated in that game two years in a row. I remember when Penn State entered and their fans had visions of B10 titles dancing in their heads...however...that's not what happened. I remember when Nebraska entered...Pelini gonna dominate the slow, un-athletic B10 teams. Well, 8 years and counting and no Championships.

Let's give Frost some time before we say he's the next coming of Woody Hayes. He still could end up being the next Mike Riley. Personally, I hope Nebraska gets better...it's good for the conference. It's just not good seeing them at the bottom of the conference and getting bitch-slapped every week...by mediocre teams like Iowa.

This.

Frost is going to get a cold hard dose of reality once he starts playing in the Big Ten. Even when he was a player himself he had one tough regular season game a year and the rest of their shit conference were stuffed animals.

Good luck throwing the ball in the B1G and his 3-4 defense is going to fall on it’s face against the pro style offenses. You want to know why no one runs a 3-4 (Wisconsin’s isn’t a true 3-4) I. The Big Ten? Because it doesn’t work.

Frost has too big of a head from coaching junior high ball whether he admits it or not. I’m going to love watching him crash and burn, the only bad thing is those nebraska homers will probably give him ten years of trying because he’s their lord and savior, Ginger Jesus.
Wisconsin's D isn't a consistent 3-4. It's not a 4-3, or a 2-4 either. What it is is a very fluid NFL 3-4 meaning the Olines will never exactly know. Still, the DL probably lines up in a 3-4 configuration more than anything else throughout the course of the game against MOST teams.

Whatever it is, it has defended well both rushing AND passing teams (with a big exception given to Tosu's and PSU's superior "physical" talent at WR).

I agree though that Frost is in for a B1G shock though, just as his two predecessors have experienced. There are some very tough nosed characters in the B1G and building a team to compete in that environment has proven difficult. Nebraska's blackshirts were ……..

Last edited:
^ I guarantee you that Frost is not the next Mike Riley. He is too rooted in the state and program to be that lackadaisical and soft. I hope he fails miserably, but I don't think he will, unfortunately. Their S/C program is getting straightened out. His offense is still based on the run, and using the run to open the passing game, and seems to be of the type that often gives Iowa trouble. I think it will come down to their defense. Wisconsin's 3-4 was mentioned. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Iowa still hasn't figured out their 3-4. Frost will be running a similar type of very aggressive 3-4. Isn't it a common complaint around here that Iowa consistently fails to make aggressive defenses pay?

I also agree with the author that at least Nebraska is trying to become relevant again. Iowa seems to be perfectly happy with average.

Last edited:
Too bad it’s not at all Air Raid. It’s spread. Nothing that different from OSU, PSU, Northwestern.
Maybe, time will tell. It's hard to say whether he can find the balance of rushing and passing offense that you need in the Big Ten. Time will tell, but he has zero Big Ten experience. The only Big Ten experience either of his coordinators have is Erik Chinander's time playing at Iowa 1998-2002. And from what I can tell, that's the only Big Ten experience any of his coaches have. It's a whole different ball game than what he's played/coached in the Big 12 or AAC. I think his saving grace could be a duel threat quarterback, but if he doesn't have that I think he's fucked, and I'm all in on what Fry said about running a 3-4 if it's not heavily modified from his time at UCF. I'm not saying he can't make the transition, but I am saying it's probably going to be mighty hard given that no one one his stuff has much connection to the Big Ten at all.

Option football is dumb. I never have liked it.
Didn't they already try that?
Also this year they have a new system, new qb. I have a feeling they will try and run the ball a ton or throw a ton of picks. Problem is, option football doesn't work so well in the big, because the qb takes a beating. You can get away with it in crap conferences or with a easy schedule, but that's it.
I mean look Northwestern, lost to Wisconsin, lost to PSU, had a fight with Iowa and MSU.
Basically a few bounces and they could have lost 4 or 5 with a fairly easy schedule.

It always comes down to the QB. And yes, if he's going to run a lot, then you'd better have two of them. That can be problematic.

My gut feeling is that Frost will do well, as much as that is hard to swallow. There will be growing pains the first season or two, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Nebraska take off from there. At that point, the Nebraska fans will magically erase the last 20 years or so from history, kind of like history books in Germany omit 1933-1945...

I don't take issue with the author's analysis, per se. I'm more annoyed by the little digs at Iowa when, presumably, the article is supposed to be neutral. If you're going to allow a homer to write a comparative analysis, at least be up front about it.

It's just stupid. If it wasn't you would see more national championship contenders doing it.
You would see more pro teams doing it.

My gut feeling is that Frost will do well, as much as that is hard to swallow. There will be growing pains the first season or two, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Nebraska take off from there. At that point, the Nebraska fans will magically erase the last 20 years or so from history, kind of like history books in Germany omit 1933-1945...

I don't take issue with the author's analysis, per se. I'm more annoyed by the little digs at Iowa when, presumably, the article is supposed to be neutral. If you're going to allow a homer to write a comparative analysis, at least be up front about it.
Oh for heaven's sake I seen on land of 10 where these dips were trying to make a case why they will win the big before Michigan.
You can't talk to these people.
On one hand Frost says "we are going to look at gpa social media" all this stuff about who they will recruit and accept and at the exact same time several of them are having a hard time with the act's and getting into college.
The dude is a blow hard.

It's a big plus or a big minus either way. If he fails, it will be great and hilarious. If he does great, I will have to deal with arrogant Husker jackasses probably until I'm dead, because he'll be there for thirty years. I'm afraid he's not going to fail.

It's a big plus or a big minus either way. If he fails, it will be great and hilarious. If he does great, I will have to deal with arrogant Husker jackasses probably until I'm dead, because he'll be there for thirty years. I'm afraid he's not going to fail.
I think he will be there for a long time. It won't matter if he wins 7-9 games, no way they fire him and he won't leave, because he is pretty much maxed out on his career. Stanford might be a better gig, or Bama, but few places are going to cater to him like Nebraska did.
The hire has equal chances of backfiring as it does succeeding when you think about it.

I think he will be there for a long time. It won't matter if he wins 7-9 games, no way they fire him and he won't leave, because he is pretty much maxed out on his career. Stanford might be a better gig, or Bama, but few places are going to cater to him like Nebraska did.
The hire has equal chances of backfiring as it does succeeding when you think about it.
Pellini didn't have a season with a win total under 9.

Latest posts