I love KF but that was a horrific decision calling a timeout after getting the fd.

Re: I love KF but that was a horrific decision calling a timeout after getting the fd

IF we were the better team we would have won.

Often in football, the better team does NOT win. For example, I have no doubt that Texas is a better team than my ISU club. Sometimes the breaks don't go your way...and Wiscy making a couple of fourth downs in that last drive was very unfortunate. Couple that with some horrific time management to close out the game...and a team that Iowa beats in Iowa City at LEAST 7 of 10 times, wins the game.

The TO was a result of some confusion between play calling and stanzi. It wasn't suppose to happen that way, but KF couldn't afford to let more time tick away. It's not like KF thought "Gee, we have a first down, I think I'll call my final TO".

Re: I love KF but that was a horrific decision calling a timeout after getting the fd

I don't want to bag on KF and the staff because I believe in what they do, but they always seem to not have a good grasp on clock management toward the end of the game especially when we are playing from behind.

exactly my thoughts...

Then that's just him taking his medicine. That's absolutely ludicrous thinking in today's situation. Inexcusable...

yep, bad news. reminds me of OSU last year. Stubborn to admit his error, and during the summer later admitted he was probably wrong.

exactly my thoughts...

How many late 4th quarter come from behind wins did we have last year? Just a few. I think they manage the game just fine. Why look for blame in a loss and just deal with it and move on?

How many late 4th quarter come from behind wins did we have last year? Just a few. I think they manage the game just fine. Why look for blame in a loss and just deal with it and move on?

OMG are you annoying. The last minute of the game i have 0 faith in our staff. The 1st 59 minutes i have all the faith in the world...

In his radio interview after the game, Kirk said he likes the timeout instead of the spike in those situations. Just reporting what I heard.

:( This was my post as it became closer to reality that Wisconsin was going to put points on the board:

Twitter

If this game comes down to clock mgmt, Iowa is screwed.

I hate being prophetic. :(

It has been become our Achilles heel..

I've been drinkin Yager since 11:00, I and I knew to spike the ball!!

We have had problems with late game, and also with late first half, time management for years upon years.

Why would you not spike the ball? Stanzi knew that he needed to spike it. You save your time out. That way you have the whole width of the field to make your pass play to set up the field goal. It's basic football. Like someone said, even a 5 year old playing Madden football knows this.

time for Stanzi to "Go Rogue" the last minute of games

If KF believes the TO is the way to go in that situation, then why didn't he call a TO right after the sneak. How much time did he have to call it? Someone tried to get Stanzi to run a different play and he couldn't figure out what it was.

The thing that is killing me is that it looked like they were lining up to spike it initially, and then for some reason they went into a shotgun formation.

They called a TO right before that play, how do you not have that situation discussed?

Bingo.

Stanzi didn't look like a 5th year senior at all at the end. Yes the coaches needs to put kids in better situations, but it's up to the QB to make the final call.

Terrible way to lose.

Who knows. We will probably never know the real truth until May of 2011.

I totally agree with you and I think it's too bad so many people who call themselves fans, can't act like real fans when the game doesn't go the way they want it to. How about standing behind the team you profess to love so much instead of ragging on them when the chips are down!

Oh and I think H8IAST8 is way more annoying than you are.

Then that's just him taking his medicine. That's absolutely ludicrous thinking in today's situation. Inexcusable...
I agree that Kirk is trying to deflect the heat from going to others in this case. I wanted the spike (said so in the Gazette on line chat). For some reason (probably because of confusion) the sideline called for the timeout. Another missed opportunity. :(

Latest posts