I like where our program is headed

DesMoinesHawki

I know our record is not that exciting but man, I really do like where our program is headed. I think Fran was the perfect hire, at the right time, to turn this program around. I love his intensity. I love to see our players develop; something that was lacking during the last two regimes.

For the first time in about five years, I am searching for Iowa basketball games and if I can't see it live, I listen to them on the radio. I used to be an even bigger bball fan than a football fan but over the years, my interest in the bball program simply waned.

I like seeing an intense and confident coach. A coach who is good with the fans. A coach who is a player's coach but a coach who also needs to chew some a** when the time calls for it.

I really think we have a winner with Fran and this staff. I like what they are building. Yes, it will be brick by brick, but the foundation is being laid and it's just such a good feeling to be interested in Iowa basketball again .. and for that matter, in college basketball again. Go Hawks!

Last edited:
Amen! Here's to turning this thing around much sooner than expected with a shockingly good Big Ten season!

My feelings exactly. It's as if we are living the same Iowa Bball lives--amazing.

My feelings exactly.

I can't get back to watch any of the games since it is a 10+ hr drive but I have listened to the games not on TV.

I think in the end it still will come down to recruiting, but I agree with everyone else above. Fran seems to know what he's doing, has an experienced staff, is already well-liked by the fans, media and players, and the on-court improvement is encouraging.

Short of getting someone like Roy Williams in here, Fran seems to be about as good a hire as could have been made.

Took the words out of my mouth. I also have been looking at the schedule to see when Iowa plays next, something I haven't done in years. Hopefully, over the next few years the team's record can match my renewed enthusiasm.

Believe it or not, I'm not a masochist, but I watched the games last year too!

Thing is that I like Fran but it is really too early to tell how this is going to turn out.

Believe it or not, I'm not a masochist, but I watched the games last year too!

Thing is that I like Fran but it is really too early to tell how this is going to turn out.

I agree, it is too early to tell. As I mentioned above, I think it'll boil down to recruiting, and that is the only question in my mind right now. But recruiting is a really big "if". Fran isn't a miracle worker, so if he can't bring in enough Big 10 talent, then we will struggle. If he can, then I think we will win.

I remember the "Give Lickliter A Blank Check" thread after we blew out ISU in Lick's 2nd year, and we all know how the Lickliter era turned out. Point being that people tend to get overly excited (and overly pessimistic) depending on which way the wind blows on any given day.

I'm in it for the long haul. I like what I see so far, but get back to me in about 2 or 2.5 year's time and we'll know a lot more.

I think we got a good hire in Fran as well. Now, if they can just get all the damn games where everyone can see them!!!!

I agree, it is too early to tell. As I mentioned above, I think it'll boil down to recruiting, and that is the only question in my mind right now. But recruiting is a really big "if". Fran isn't a miracle worker, so if he can't bring in enough Big 10 talent, then we will struggle. If he can, then I think we will win.

I remember the "Give Lickliter A Blank Check" thread after we blew out ISU in Lick's 2nd year, and we all know how the Lickliter era turned out. Point being that people tend to get overly excited (and overly pessimistic) depending on which way the wind blows on any given day.

I'm in it for the long haul. I like what I see so far, but get back to me in about 2 or 2.5 year's time and we'll know a lot more.
I agree. I remember all same comments being made about Fran, were made about Lick also. IMO, it's WAY too early for even "we've turned the corner" talk.

I don't think it's going to take 2 or 2.5 years. This team will be pretty good next year...and better than many think this year IMO

A big plus for recruiting is the fact that 3 of our top players are freshmen and another is a sophomore...and I don't think this group willl start transfering at the end of the season. I sure hope Stokes grows 2 or 3 inches during his redshirt year.

I gave Lick a year,then he forced out Tony Freeman after year 1 and I started to think he was not a good fit. His postgame interviews with Dolph were weird right from the start,and I could tell that Dolph was not enamored.
Then I saw his recruiting efforts in year 2- Brommer,Tucker,Bawinkel,and Davis ....none of them even had Div 1 offers...that sealed it for me.
Fran has found a recruit in year one- Basabe,who is better than anyone that Lick brought in...and then got Cartwright,also. Then he got Oglesby and White, both of whom had good offers from D-1 schools.

Fran has a better shot than Lick ever had at this point,just from a recruiting standpoint. Then there is the games...much better. And it is refreshing to actually have a bb coach who is not so dogmatic that he will not adjust or try something new if a defense is not working...during a game.
And finally, I love how detail-oriented Frans scouting reports are...he leaves no stone unturned.

JHHawk I couldn't have said it better. Recruiting is already on a much better path then it was under Lickliter. I think some good things are coming our way in the next recruiting class. GO HAWKS GO!!!

When Fran was hired I said "who"? The more I found out about him the more I liked.

I have a season BB ticket for the first time in my life. Watching Fran coach and listening to him in the post-game has convinced me we have a winner.

Spot on sir. Fran got a raw deal with the Big Ten being so good this year, but it could be very down next season which should help when this roster will finally be mature. Now let the "!" contest continue.

Then I saw his recruiting efforts in year 2- Brommer,Tucker,Bawinkel,and Davis ....none of them even had Div 1 offers...that sealed it for me.
Fran has found a recruit in year one- Basabe,who is better than anyone that Lick brought in...and then got Cartwright,also. Then he got Oglesby and White, both of whom had good offers from D-1 schools.

By no means am I defending Lickliter when I post this. Brommer, Tucker and Davis all had other D-1 offers, the best being Dayton for Brommer. Let's not get too carried away on the players brought in. The one that is left in Brommer of the ones you mentioned, isn't as horrible as we all thought, in fact, he looks like a player, something I didn't think he looked like his first two years on campus. By "player" he actually looks like he belongs and is a contributor.
On your second part here, totally agree on your point with Basabe/Cartwright/Oglesby/White. Don't forget he was able to keep Marble/McCabe going to Iowa and they had quality offers as well. I am not totally sure we have to have the 4 or 5 star kids, but we have to have kids that are solid and getting serious looks from other quality schools. Uthoff would have been a nice addition as well, good offers from quality schools.
Recruiting is a funny thing though, the good thing is that Fran knows exactly what type of player he wants and you don't have to get the 4 or 5 star kids to get that type of player. I will say it over and over with belief, Iowa will go to a postseason tournament next year and they will have a great chance to go to the "Big Dance" when it is all said and done. I don't noramlly get excited when new coaches come in, but Fran is different, you can just see that there is a lot of teaching going on and the team is just better today then they were game one.

Latest posts