1977Hawkeye

The last 6 games, Iowa's 3 point shooting, and results:

@Michigan: 4-11 (win)
MD: 5-11 (win)
Minnesota: 4-14 (loss)
@NW: 8-24 (loss)
Rutgers: 8-17 (win)
@Nebby: 5-10 (win)

Rutgers being the real lone outlier (8-17), Iowa seems to be at its best when they are shooting closer to 10-12 threes per game. I like it when the team picks its spots, has their best shooters taking most of the threes (Jok & Uthoff), and they pound the paint and mid-range game. Iowa seems to get itself into trouble when they start jacking more outside shots and not going inside-out, and get too jump shot happy.

24 threes at NW.. Way too many IMO.

I think this goes hand in hand with quick shots. When the Hawks move the ball they get more inside looks and take fewer 3s. And the 3s we do take are more in rhythm.

Also could speak to that this team is not really good at shooting and needs more higher percentage shots to be effective.

Also could speak to that this team is not really good at shooting and needs more higher percentage shots to be effective.

I wonder how many of the 3s in the above games were taken by Jok (.375) and Uthoff (.404). We all know these are the 2 guys that should shoot most of the 3s. Clemmons (.356) can take 1 or 2 a game if he's open and we've moved the ball around. The obvious advantage we have over most every team we play is our big guys...Woodbury, Olaseni, White and Uthoff. Uthoff is an advantage pretty much anywhere on the court on both ends of the court.

I think Jok and JU have the green light at all times and I am fine with most if not all 3's those 2 take.

I like this team shooting 3's when:

Jok and Ute anytime
White only and if he's wide open for two seconds and a set shot.
Clemmons from top when feet are square
Gesell not at all: Gesell's shot is drive/stop/pop at elbow. Looks great.

I like this team shooting 3's when:

Jok and Ute anytime
White only and if he's wide open for two seconds and a set shot.
Clemmons from top when feet are square
Gesell not at all: Gesell's shot is drive/stop/pop at elbow. Looks great.

I agree with this, except that I would say White should only do this if the shot clock is under 15.

I also echo the comments that it's not about how many 3s we're taking. It's who's taking them, at what time in the possession, and why.

I wonder how many of the 3s in the above games were taken by Jok (.375) and Uthoff (.404). We all know these are the 2 guys that should shoot most of the 3s. Clemmons (.356) can take 1 or 2 a game if he's open and we've moved the ball around. The obvious advantage we have over most every team we play is our big guys...Woodbury, Olaseni, White and Uthoff. Uthoff is an advantage pretty much anywhere on the court on both ends of the court.

Agreed. It's mainly about having the right guys take the shots. When Iowa is shooting 10-12 per game, it's probably Uthoff & Jok taking most of them, which is good. The games where they shoot 20+, we probably have guys like White, Gesell, etc. taking more than they should.

Now, if our opponents want to leave Jok & Uthoff wide open 10 times apiece, then fire away. :cool:

The frustrating thing about the NW game is that Iowa just dismantled the Ohio State zone and had pretty good success against the Syracuse zone. However, for some reason they were content to just launch long range shots against lowly Northwestern and it cost them the game.

If Jok and Uthoff are getting good looks from 3 then they should be shooting all day.

The last 6 games, Iowa's 3 point shooting, and results:

@Michigan: 4-11 (win)
MD: 5-11 (win)
Minnesota: 4-14 (loss)
@NW: 8-24 (loss)
Rutgers: 8-17 (win)
@Nebby: 5-10 (win)

Rutgers being the real lone outlier (8-17), Iowa seems to be at its best when they are shooting closer to 10-12 threes per game. I like it when the team picks its spots, has their best shooters taking most of the threes (Jok & Uthoff), and they pound the paint and mid-range game. Iowa seems to get itself into trouble when they start jacking more outside shots and not going inside-out, and get too jump shot happy.

24 threes at NW.. Way too many IMO.

Yea, they only avg 17 3-attempts, so, 24 is way above their usual game plan. Then again, they didn't shoot horribly (33%) and, generally, you make 8 3's, you are on the + side of winning the game.

The main reason for all the 3's @ NwU is because Woody was stinkin up the gym while getting owned by that giant Romanian and Hawks had to try to keep up with all the 3's Gesell was giving up.

Man, I can't wait to go Nebrutgers on those geeks in Carver!

I think this goes hand in hand with quick shots. When the Hawks move the ball they get more inside looks and take fewer 3s. And the 3s we do take are more in rhythm.

This is spot on. The key is being patient and running the offense to get good looks. Against NW, Iowa settled for 3's too often versus attacking the paint. Add in lazy D and zero fast break points.

Yea, they only avg 17 3-attempts, so, 24 is way above their usual game plan. Then again, they didn't shoot horribly (33%) and, generally, you make 8 3's, you are on the + side of winning the game.

The main reason for all the 3's @ NwU is because Woody was stinkin up the gym while getting owned by that giant Romanian and Hawks had to try to keep up with all the 3's Gesell was giving up.

Man, I can't wait to go Nebrutgers on those geeks in Carver!

Northwestern made 3 3's towards the end of regulation. 2 of them were because of absolutely terrible defense from Oglesby. The last one was the worst. For some reason he dropped way down into the paint to double a guy who didn't need doubled, leaving 2 guys all alone by the 3 point line. I rewound it about 5 times because i was so in awe over how bad it was.

Latest posts