I learned something about Nile Kinnick last night..

DuffMan

During the show they mentioned that Nile Kinnicks face has been on one side of the coin they flip before every Big Ten game. That's every single game in the Big Ten, not just Iowa games. That is quite an honor.

I didn't know that either until last October when we were at the College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend (En Route to Ann Arbor). They have one of the coins there. Really cool to see.

For the Record, the College Football HOF has a Heisman Trophy exhibit which is virtually a tribute to Nile Kinnick. There is a big banner hanging in there that says "Downtown Athletic Club Welcomes Heisman Winner Nile Kinnick".

His picture is also the first one you see when you walk into the exhibit, and they play his Heisman speech on a video board.

Very Cool

yet only the 7th biggest icon. he got a raw deal. if your face appears on that coin, you're bigger than 7th biggest icon

I'm happy with a top 10, though I'm sure there will be plenty of arguments regarding some that end up ahead of him.

I knew about the coin but I did not know until last night that Kinnick's body was never found after his plane went down. And they said that rescue boats were on the scene only 8 minutes after the plane went down.

Magic Johnson will be in there and I dont know on the last one. Gerald Ford maybe?

Gerald Ford would be interesting, as he did have a very successful college career. However, was it good enough to warrant a top 10 ranking? (Honest question) Again, these rankings are supposed to be based on their collegiate careers.

Where do you put Jerry West on the list of NBA Icons? His image is the logo for the entire league.

It is the silhouette of West, quite an honor in itself. But his face isn't shown and it doesn't say "Jerry West".
West would be up there, if you really looked at the history of the NBA.

lol well the Hall of Fame in SOUTH BEND honors him....when it goes to Atlanta....it gon be all SEC boys.

It is the silhouette of West, quite an honor in itself. But his face isn't shown and it doesn't say "Jerry West".
West would be up there, if you really looked at the history of the NBA.

He has credibility as a player and a GM. If he had stayed with the Lakers instead of going to Memphis, he would be more of an icon. As it stands, Phil, Red Auerbach, and Dr. Buss stand above him as administrator Icons.

As far as a player is concerned, he was on the top 50 Century team. He wouldn't be top 10 as a player. But he would be in the Top 20 probably.

I believe the final six are Jessie Owens, Archie Griffin, Dick Butkis, Magic Johnson, Red Grange, and Jerry Lucas.

Nevermind Lucas was number 8. I'm not sure who the other one is, don't think it's Ford it seems like the criteria has been athlete while he was in the big ten. So I don't think Ford would be in the top 5. It's has to be someone clearly obvious that we are forgetting.

I don't know how Don Nelson cannot be part of this. Winningest coach in NBA history. Also a fine player during college and in the NBA.