I know JVB isn't 'fast', but ...

Cover3

can't we sprint him out on some of these third-and-shorts we're not picking up? Iowa dug a hole by going three-and-out on its first two possessions tonight, failing to pick up 3rd and less than 5 each time. With Vandenberg sitting in the pocket there, it's like we're playing 10-on-11. Get him out of the pocket. He's shown before that he can pick up five or six yards.

I feel Iowa never really utilizes this option. I don't like QB-run-based offenses, but 3rd and short feels like a mile right now for the Hawks (and often did under O'Keefe as well), and I don't think opposing defenses appear very stressed by what we run on those downs.

Only thing opposing defenses have to stress about is if Weisman plays. If he plays, the passing game would have executed enough. Without a running game, which it seemed we tried to go away from, opposing defenses will not fear our passing game or third and any amount of yards.

can't we sprint him out on some of these third-and-shorts we're not picking up? Iowa dug a hole by going three-and-out on its first two possessions tonight, failing to pick up 3rd and less than 5 each time. With Vandenberg sitting in the pocket there, it's like we're playing 10-on-11. Get him out of the pocket. He's shown before that he can pick up five or six yards.

I feel Iowa never really utilizes this option. I don't like QB-run-based offenses, but 3rd and short feels like a mile right now for the Hawks (and often did under O'Keefe as well), and I don't think opposing defenses appear very stressed by what we run on those downs.
I wouldn't mind sprinting him to the exit door and let him get on with grad school.

Is it the passing game that's the problem or the passer?

I've said many times JVB isn't nearly accurate enough, but I think getting him out of the pocket may help. He's not going to pick up 3rd & 10 with his feet, but we can hardly pick up 3rd & 3 now. I'd like to utilize his feet to bring a defender out of coverage (could be said for Stanzi, etc., basically any QB faster than Ben Chappell from Indiana a few years ago).

I've said many times JVB isn't nearly accurate enough, but I think getting him out of the pocket may help. He's not going to pick up 3rd & 10 with his feet, but we can hardly pick up 3rd & 3 now. I'd like to utilize his feet to bring a defender out of coverage (could be said for Stanzi, etc., basically any QB faster than Ben Chappell from Indiana a few years ago).

We were able to utilize Chandlers feet a few times. If we can do it for him, JVB should be able too.

Latest posts