I know Iowa fans thought they never wanted to see a WR bubble screen again

Win5002

but in that last drive of the game Sat. night when Az. was going all out to get to the QB, wouldn't a screen to DJK had a chance to break off a big gain?

Not sure if it would have worked or not but after Stanzi was stacked the first time on the last drive to not try it seems strange.

I was shocked that we didn't see much if any Screens or Draws when Arizona started consistently bringing heat early on.

Maybe someone with better X/Os insight can comment as to why they would or wouldn't work against that attack. I know I was screaming at the TV most of the night to run a Screen.

It was late so my memory could be wrong, but I recall the defense showing the exact same look every down of that series. It didn't seem like anything was done to make hay from that or bolster the line at all.

I was saying the same thing. I am not one of those to talk crap about the play calling, because if I could do I guess I would be coaching D1. That being said I was amazed that we just kept dropping back when the line could not sustain a block. At least roll out once. It did seem like with the pursuit AZ had that a screen at least once would have been worth it.

They had 7 guys in the box and they were bringing a corner or an outside LB every down. The problem was he wasn't just coming up the middle. One time he came from the outside and caused everyone to bump out and our center missed his block. The next play he came right up the middle and their D-End got free forcing stanzi up in the pocket and they were waiting right there.

Arizona played aggressive defense all night, that is why they were able to stop Iowa's running game. I can bet the farm says Iowa learned from that and when Big Ten Play starts, you will see teams start to blitz iowa and KOK will have a few checks for stanzi to make and Iowa will beat the blitz. Also the RB's didn't help their cause several times they were trying to spin and juke their way, they just needed to hit the hole and get 3-4 yds a pop!