I knew it...I knew it....I knew it....

Hunter Rawlings tried this, what, thirty years ago? Can't work unless everyone does it, and the $EC never will.

If it is made an NCAA rule there is very little the SEC can do about it. The SEC is just fourteen teams in the FBS. If the Big Ten, Pac-12 & the Big-12 overwhelmingly approve the rule, the SEC will have to live with it. The SEC doesn't have veto power.

Great. I understand academics, but good luck with recruiting if they implement this "year of readiness" rule. Why would any talented player commit to a Big Ten team and sit out a year, when they could go anywhere else and play right away? Sorry, just my opinion, but if you want to compete ATHLETICALLY, you can't do this.

I have yet to read the article, but you are a fool if you think the Big Ten would implement this without the rest of the NCAA doing the same. I believe this is meant to start a discussion, that ALL of the schools would be in on and the Big Ten is simply getting the dialog started.

I knew KF would be on the WRONG side of this....was there ANY doubt what side this fool would take??? What blue chipper (not that we recruit or sign any) wants to wait until his second year of school to see the field??? I also knew for certain the ONE school in the Big Ten that would come out against it....Ohio St....the one school that is all about the BIG STAGE....they never try to kid anyone about who they are and what greater goals they aspire to...as much as I cheer against them more than ANY team in the nation...(even SEC teams), I admire the fact that are who they are and do not hide behind false fronts when it comes to athletics.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/12349646/big-ten-considering-ineligibility-freshmen

When was the last time you posted something positive about anything related to the Iowa Hawkeyes, just curious?

When was the last time you posted something positive about anything related to the Iowa Hawkeyes, just curious?

Probably the last decade they did something positive....2009 was last decade, no?

The reading comprehension on this site is about the third-grade level. Either the poster did not read the article or has a third-grade reading level.

Did you read it? Colin Cowherd beat me to the punch from what I read on another site....he was ripping KF for his stance on the subject. Chill dude...we are all in this disaster recovery together.

My understanding is that it was a different kind of thrusting that caused BW his career at Iowa. Joking aside, there is a football and non-football side to this topic. The football side requires all freshmen to be eligible. The non-football side needs them to be ineligible.

Excellent points. And most of the things that have caused some sort of "downfall" can--and will--happen at any point in a kid's career.

I predict freshman eligibility and early-signing period will be a "package deal"! Er...maybe :)

Did you read it? Colin Cowherd beat me to the punch from what I read on another site....he was ripping KF for his stance on the subject. Chill dude...we are all in this disaster recovery together.

You jump on Bowlsby's credibility...then cite Colin Cowherd? Good God, the apocalypse really IS approaching.

If you want to take sides with Bob Bowlsby, God help you....he started this whole mess by p*ssing off Stoops to begin with and saddling us with 15 years of false hope.

If you want to take sides with Bob Bowlsby, God help you....he started this whole mess by p*ssing off Stoops to begin with and saddling us with 15 years of false hope.

I'm NOT taking sides with Bowlsby. You called out his credibility...then gave credence to Cowherd. Cowherd has less credibility than Dan Rather or Brian Williams, heck, even Jim Rome.

This whole concept is terrible. It's pretty easy, if they aren't ready, don't play them.

if they are ready, why force them to wait?

in fact, I bet kids now a days are more ready than ever. Kids are doing individual strength and conditioning workouts long before they arrive on campus.
I agree. With me being a TN fan to we would have been in trouble this season if we wasn't allowed to play freshman. Kids are coming in more ready to play than they was 20 yrs ago.

Not siding with Cowherd...do not even listen to him. Just pointing out that it was already making national news. And in my opinion, I'd rather KF being making news by improving the program. This is something KF needs to keep his mouth shut about....he already alibis enough for his numerous shortcomings.

i dont care which sport, the very best player needs to be playing no matter what year he is in. Obviously with football there is no guarantee that Ferentz can identify the best players on team anymore so I would like to put an astric next to the football program that would read something like this.

*freshman welcome to play for the University of Iowa Football program, however the current coaching staff may not be able to identify your talets

Hunter Rawlings tried this, what, thirty years ago? Can't work unless everyone does it, and the $EC never will.

Yeah, the $EC never will. Because it's harder to keep the kids eligible when the kids don't have the playing time incentive.

i dont care which sport, the very best player needs to be playing no matter what year he is in. Obviously with football there is no guarantee that Ferentz can identify the best players on team anymore so I would like to put an astric next to the football program that would read something like this.

*freshman welcome to play for the University of Iowa Football program, however the current coaching staff may not be able to identify your talets

Makes me pine for the days when the UCLA team went undefeated during the regular season and won the NCAA title. They lost to one team all year: the UCLA freshman team with Lew Alcindor (later Kareem Abdul Jabbar) in the annual frosh/varsity game.

Personally I like the idea of doing what baseball does. If the student-athlete signs a LOI then he's there for three years OR he leaves early and pays back all the scholarship money that was awarded to him/her.

Or make the athletic scholarship binding for four years (or five years if there's a redshirt season). If a student-athlete leaves early, their scholarship cannot be claimed by anyone else until such a time as the student-athlete would graduate.

I saw Delany on the Big Ten Network addressing this... there are some factual inaccuracies in this thread:

1. This is something that would only happen if its at an NCAA level, meaning all 32 conferences would have the same rule.

2. They are simply exploring the idea, as are the Pac-12 and Big12.

3. This is primarily in response to the external threats felt by the NCAA e.g. student-athlete litigation, recent congressional interest in NCAA conduct, effectively becoming a minor-league to pro sports, etc. (Basically, they are trying to explore options to at least give the appearance of education first and protect the golden goose of college athletics.)

I haven't thought about it enough to form an opinion, but wanted to clear those things up.

Latest posts