I knew it...I knew it....I knew it....

Playmaker

I knew KF would be on the WRONG side of this....was there ANY doubt what side this fool would take??? What blue chipper (not that we recruit or sign any) wants to wait until his second year of school to see the field??? I also knew for certain the ONE school in the Big Ten that would come out against it....Ohio St....the one school that is all about the BIG STAGE....they never try to kid anyone about who they are and what greater goals they aspire to...as much as I cheer against them more than ANY team in the nation...(even SEC teams), I admire the fact that are who they are and do not hide behind false fronts when it comes to athletics.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/12349646/big-ten-considering-ineligibility-freshmen

I knew KF would be on the WRONG side of this....was there ANY doubt what side this fool would take??? What blue chipper (not that we recruit or sign any) wants to wait until his second year of school to see the field??? I also knew for certain the ONE school in the Big Ten that would come out against it....Ohio St....the one school that is all about the BIG STAGE....they never try to kid anyone about who they are and what greater goals they aspire to...as much as I cheer against them more than ANY team in the nation...(even SEC teams), I admire the fact that are who they are and do not hide behind false fronts when it comes to athletics.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/12349646/big-ten-considering-ineligibility-freshmen

Who says it's the "wrong" side? It's opinion. And look at the history with some of our freshmen. Who's to say that a Brandon Wegher may not have left if he hadn't been thrust into "having" to play his freshman year?

Of course, on the other side, we'vae had guys leave after four years, a la Jake C...

And O$U DOES try to "kid", i.e, that they are a moral/ethical program...

-----And O$U DOES try to "kid", i.e, that they are a moral/ethical program...

And Iowa is under the false impression they are some sort of beacon being held high and scoring points nationally for doing things the "right way"....meanwhile, Ohio State is holding National Championship trophies high and getting 1000x more publicity....fact!

Kinda funny how this so called good for the student athlete rule would only effect football and basketball. .....the country club sports are not affected. .....Now one could argue that it would give a incoming frosh time to get comfortable with the school workload, campus life ect.....but there is the thought the would have a ton of free time to meet and get to know our athlete friendly police force.....lol but real talk here......one of things that should help you stay focused on schoolwork and keeping your nose clean is the fact there is a chance you could play as a true frosh..maybe not at lowa lol....but never the less .....as always Go Hawks

Great. I understand academics, but good luck with recruiting if they implement this "year of readiness" rule. Why would any talented player commit to a Big Ten team and sit out a year, when they could go anywhere else and play right away? Sorry, just my opinion, but if you want to compete ATHLETICALLY, you can't do this.

Who says it's the "wrong" side? It's opinion. And look at the history with some of our freshmen. Who's to say that a Brandon Wegher may not have left if he hadn't been thrust into "having" to play his freshman year?

Of course, on the other side, we'vae had guys leave after four years, a la Jake C...

My understanding is that it was a different kind of thrusting that caused BW his career at Iowa. Joking aside, there is a football and non-football side to this topic. The football side requires all freshmen to be eligible. The non-football side needs them to be ineligible.

True freshmen rarely play much if at all in football. They simply haven't built up the size and strength to be effective or have a good enough understanding of the playbook and defensive schemes. I don't really think this is a big deal, and Iowa doesn't play true freshmen anyways so it shouldn't hurt us.

My understanding is that it was a different kind of thrusting that caused BW his career at Iowa. Joking aside, there is a football and non-football side to this topic. The football side requires all freshmen to be eligible. The non-football side needs them to be ineligible.

Stole my joke! :mad:

This whole concept is terrible. It's pretty easy, if they aren't ready, don't play them.

if they are ready, why force them to wait?

in fact, I bet kids now a days are more ready than ever. Kids are doing individual strength and conditioning workouts long before they arrive on campus.

This will have to be an all or nothing deal. Unless every conference agrees to this, I don't see it happening. Otherwise good luck in recruiting.

Stanzi - I think you meant to say that true freshman do not play much at Iowa...kinda hard when you are bringing in lineman 30 lbs underweight and then asking them to get "Big Ten Ready"....watch how many true Freshman find the field at Tennessee in 2015.

What is your reading comprehension? The fourth grade? Don't let your hatred of Ferentz get in the way of your reading comprehension. It is a growing idea!

The Big Ten is gauging interest from its members about a "national discussion regarding a year of readiness for student-athletes."

Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott has discussed freshman ineligibility with several commissioners and that there will be "much more serious conversations about it in the coming months and year."

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said that there's "growing interest" in debating the possibility.

Freshman ineligibility is a growing movement and I believe it will happen.

If it does happen, I think the number of scholarships should go to one-hundred from the present eighty-five.

What is your reading comprehension? The fourth grade? Don't let your hatred of Ferentz get in the way of your reading comprehension. It is a growing idea!

The Big Ten is gauging interest from its members about a "national discussion regarding a year of readiness for student-athletes."

Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott has discussed freshman ineligibility with several commissioners and that there will be "much more serious conversations about it in the coming months and year."

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said that there's "growing interest" in debating the possibility.

Freshman ineligibility is a growing movement and I believe it will happen.

If it does happen, I think the number of scholarships should go to one-hundred from the present eighty-five.

CHawk, any increase in scholarships puts us back in the days when OSU, UM, ND, USC, UT, OK, etc signed all of the top talent. This would kill the parity that exists, today. Further, making FR ineligible will take away schools like Iowa have; which is to go to Iowa and play sooner and be a starter or be a back up at O$U. The 3* kids might feel that a year in the weight room might allow them to pass the 4* kid; making going to O$U more enticing than Iowa. Keep in mind I'm talking about the 3* kids (not 4 or 5) that Iowa lives off of.

Colhawk - I was insulted after the first sentence, but read on....wink....but then when you invoked the name of Bob Bowlbsy with implied credibility, I threw up in my mouth. Less you ever forget, you and I are nothing but "Rank amateurs" to him.

It's all a bunch of boloney cause it's not going to happen. It just won't. The BIG won't do it if the rest of the country doesn't too. And there is a zero percent chance of the SEC getting down with that. There just isn't. Ferentz feeling that way doesn't surprise me he's a developmental guy. He likes when players are around 5 yrs. So that's not a shock. And most kids do redshirt anyway don't they? To me it's on the kid at the end of the day. If the coaches want him to and the kid don't then hey it's his life his career. If the coaches want him to play what kid is going to say nah no thanks? There's no substitute for playing time to improve. So to me it's just a case by case deal and up to the kid at the end of the day. No need to make a new rule that drastic.

Actually, the whole movement to make freshman ineligible has very little to do with football. Coaches & administrators just hate the NBA "one & done" rule. The NBA could end the whole debate by adopting the MLB or NFL rule. Coaches & administrators feel the NBA rule is a joke & is ruining the college game & making a mockery of the NCAA. Football is just going to be a victim.

Latest posts