I just don't understand the We're just lil ole Iowa

hwks1

We cant compete for a title every year... so just be happy with 7-5, 8-4 every year.

Oklahoma and Iowa have similar populations

Iowa has almost twice the population of Nebr

Illinois has 3 times the population of Iowa.

Where is this logic coming from that we are disadvantaged because of population?

Winning - EXPECTATIONS is what keeps Oklahoma - Oklahoma.... not there in state population. Kids want to play for winners. Kids want to play for coaches with fire, they want to be inspired. They want to win.

With scholarships limits of today - WE SHOULD expect to win every year and if we collectively adopt that attitude we become the leaders not the followers.

I absolutely despise that also... we didnt lose to minnesota or Iowa State because we had less talent because were lil ol iowa

That excuse is just plain bull****.... sure if we lose to Ohio State or USC but alot of these games we are not losing to teams with more talent

Ever heard of Texas? The HS talent in Illinois is a fraction of the depth and quality that it is in Texas. That is the primary reason why Oklahoma is good and we are who we are.

We cant compete for a title every year... so just be happy with 7-5, 8-4 every year..

NOBODY can compete for the title every year. Not Alabama, not USC, not Notre Dame, not Florida, not Ohio State, not Oklahoma, NOBODY. They all have down years, even decades without title contenders.

Iowa is second in wins in the Big Ten next to OSU over the last 10 years? Not bad. They are going throw out a stinker every now and then. I just don't think it's that big of deal in the big picture.

Ever heard of Texas?

We used to recruit Texas.......

Its a big nation... there are plenty of kids that want to go play for a winner. You adopt a winning attitude and dress the part you can establish the same tradition for winning as any other school. To accept less is a symptom of a problem.

Ever heard of Texas? The HS talent in Illinois is a fraction of the depth and quality that it is in Texas. That is the primary reason why Oklahoma is good and we are who we are.

is there any reason Texas should not compete for the title every year then??

Its a big nation... there are plenty of kids that want to go play for a winner. You adopt a winning attitude and dress the part you can establish the same tradition for winning as any other school. To accept less is a symptom of a problem.

Texas kids want to play in and near Texas first and foremost. They are brought up to love that state. OU is closer to Dallas than UT is, and their history and program is far more prestigous than Iowa's.

I absolutely despise that also... we didnt lose to minnesota or Iowa State because we had less talent because were lil ol iowa

I don't understand this. How do you measure talent? By how some recruiting service ranks these guys? By their 40 times? Football is a team game, and is measured by the scoreboard. It's a problem if you start thinking you can win games by just showing up.

Iowa is second in wins in the Big Ten next to OSU over the last 10 years? Not bad. They are going throw out a stinker every now and then. I just don't think it's that big of deal in the big picture.
Your head is in the sand. The big picture is looking worse and worse with each loss to Minnesota, Iowa State, etc. We had three good years '02-'04, and an aberration in '09. The rest has been pretty mediocre.

I'm not suggesting that there aren't going to be down years now and again but, when was the last time OSU lost to Minnesota, NU, ISU in consecutive seasons - for example.

I don't understand this. How do you measure talent? By how some recruiting service ranks these guys? By their 40 times? Football is a team game, and is measured by the scoreboard. It's a problem if you start thinking you can win games by just showing up.

You are contradict yourself there... if you measure things by the scoreboard and victories

then a 5-2 team is more talented than a 1-6 team.

And you can measure talent by players going to the NFL (we have had ALOT more than minnesota in the past 5 years) recruiting classes, ect.

The point is Minnesota is not a greatly talented program... and people try to make the excuse that iowa isnt talented enough to win

But you knew that and just wanted to argue with me

Accepting that we are not on the level of Oklahoma is hardly a problem. We won't be on that level, ever. I think we'll win a NC someday. But that's not what makes you one of the truly elite programs. It's being in the hunt nearly every year because you have a long line of stud recruits just waiting in the wings. We don't have that, and never will.

It's being in the hunt nearly every year because you have a long line of stud recruits just waiting in the wings. We don't have that, and never will.

Exactly because of attitudes like yours.....

Nebraska wasn't a winner (less tradition than Iowa) before Devaney..... SO, it really is coaching and always has been. A coach with a desire to win - a desire to keep reaching higher can 'BUILD' a NC caliber program.

KF is putting in his time each season. DO you really think he is even trying to build a NC team? No, he is trying to keep an average good team on the field because after all, we're just Iowa.

You are contradict yourself there... if you measure things by the scoreboard and victories

then a 5-2 team is more talented than a 1-6 team.

And you can measure talent by players going to the NFL (we have had ALOT more than minnesota in the past 5 years) recruiting classes, ect.

Yeah but what do players who are gone have to do with today's game? And what are recruiting rankings other than someone's opinion?
Records don't matter all that much either. As someone else said, the transitional property does not hold in college football. Did you expect ISU to win by 30 on the road over a team that was coming off a win over OU on the road? Football is about more than individual talent. It's matchups, momentum, desire, coaching, styles, weather, etc etc. The team perceived by fans to have the better players does not always win. It has never been that way and never will be. There is no fairer way, in my opinion, on who has a "better" team, on that day, than the result of the game. Hawks would probably take out Minnesota 9 times out of ten this year, today was that 1 out of 10.

Exactly because of attitudes like yours.....

Nebraska wasn't a winner (less tradition than Iowa) before Devaney..... SO, it really is coaching and always has been. A coach with a desire to win - a desire to keep reaching higher can 'BUILD' a NC caliber program.

KF is putting in his time each season. DO you really think he is even trying to build a NC team? No, he is trying to keep an average good team on the field because after all, we're just Iowa.

Wrong. Nebraska had some nice ballclubs, but for the most part, their winning ways were built on their season coming down to 2 freaking games, Oklahoma and the bowl game. Iowa has had to deal with the big boys in our own conference, plus the annual team or two in the big ten that has a good season. The Big 8 sans OU and Nebraska absolutely sucked year in and year out when Nebraska was good. So they really had to just take care of business against OU and that was it.

Every damn fanbase in the conference has delusions of grandeur. Purdue fans think Purdue is just a coach away. Same with the deranged faction of Northwestern. Same with Wisconsin. Same with Minnesota. Same with Illinois. And then you've got the big boys in the mix, too.

With the scholly limits, there is parity. Sometimes we'll get lucky, sometimes we'll suck. Revel in the 9-0 run we had in 2009, but don't expect it every year because there are millions of opposing fans who want the same damn thing.

Yeah but what do players who are gone have to do with today's game? And what are recruiting rankings other than someone's opinion?
Records don't matter all that much either. As someone else said, the transitional property does not hold in college football. Did you expect ISU to win by 30 on the road over a team that was coming off a win over OU on the road? Football is about more than individual talent. It's matchups, momentum, desire, coaching, styles, weather, etc etc. The team perceived by fans to have the better players does not always win. It has never been that way and never will be. There is no fairer way, in my opinion, on who has a "better" team, on that day, than the result of the game. Hawks would probably take out Minnesota 9 times out of ten this year, today was that 1 out of 10.

Not to mention the great equalizer - the football is an oblong object that bounces in strange ways. Fortunately, for us when we get the bounces, they come in great spurts and we get runs like '02-'04 or that late '08-'09 run. But then we get prolonged periods of turd sammich, too.

2-10 if we count last year maybe?

I like how you are throwing out these flares left and right

Bottom line Iowa COMMONLY not occasionally loses to teams with bad records, bad talent, bad traditions...

This yin and yang argument isn't making much sense to me.

This isnt the NFL... college football isnt where every team has top talent

Iowa should have stomped this team flat out

Latest posts