I heard from Barta

hawkdrummer1

Thought "what the hell", and I sent our AD a quick email about the red/white pom poms etc.

Just for fun, here's the response. (based on the "since your signed your name" line, I'm guessing he gets plenty of angry emails). Who knows, this may actually have come from him, as opposed to one of his staff.

[FONT=&amp]Dear xxxxx,[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]First, thanks for taking the time to write and express your concerns. Thanks also for 23 years of season ticket purchase and your overall support for the Hawkeyes. I decided the combination of your many years of support, and the fact your note wasn’t anonymous deserved a response.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Our two primary objectives (in addition to winning the game) on Saturday were to pump up the excitement level in Kinnick Stadium and to pay tribute to our veterans. We talked about the red, white, and blue pom’s being used to bring in the team and for the National Anthem. We did discuss the color red being the primary color of our opponent….but believed the overarching theme of red, white, and blue - used for two brief periods during the game - would trump the “red factor”.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]In hindsight I’ll admit we were wrong. In the end, the red was just too prominent for the broader red,white,blue theme to break through. I take full responsibility for the decision, and can assure you we’ll be ready to rebound in a few weeks for the Michigan game.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]On a positive note, the overall Kinnick atmosphere was very electric. Our fans were engaged and responsive, the music selections and volume were much better than a week ago, etc. The overall energy in the stadium was greatly improved. All hands are on deck to finish strong both competitively and from an event perspective.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I never like to lose…but I do feel strongly we’re a better team than a year ago, and not far off from breaking through. I continue to have great confidence in Kirk’s leadership, the staff’s game plans, and the student-athletes abilities. I’m excited to see our team play again this weekend and feel good about our chances to end the season on a high note.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Again, xxxxx, thanks for your ongoing support for the Hawkeyes and for taking the time to voice your concern.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Go Hawks![/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Gary[/FONT]

Thought "what the hell", and I sent our AD a quick email about the red/white pom poms etc.

Just for fun, here's the response. (based on the "since your signed your name" line, I'm guessing he gets plenty of angry emails). Who knows, this may actually have come from him, as opposed to one of his staff.

[FONT=&amp]Dear xxxxx,[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]First, thanks for taking the time to write and express your concerns. Thanks also for 23 years of season ticket purchase and your overall support for the Hawkeyes. I decided the combination of your many years of support, and the fact your note wasn’t anonymous deserved a response.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Our two primary objectives (in addition to winning the game) on Saturday were to pump up the excitement level in Kinnick Stadium and to pay tribute to our veterans. We talked about the red, white, and blue pom’s being used to bring in the team and for the National Anthem. We did discuss the color red being the primary color of our opponent….but believed the overarching theme of red, white, and blue - used for two brief periods during the game - would trump the “red factor”.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]In hindsight I’ll admit we were wrong. In the end, the red was just too prominent for the broader red,white,blue theme to break through. I take full responsibility for the decision, and can assure you we’ll be ready to rebound in a few weeks for the Michigan game.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]On a positive note, the overall Kinnick atmosphere was very electric. Our fans were engaged and responsive, the music selections and volume were much better than a week ago, etc. The overall energy in the stadium was greatly improved. All hands are on deck to finish strong both competitively and from an event perspective.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I never like to lose…but I do feel strongly we’re a better team than a year ago, and not far off from breaking through. I continue to have great confidence in Kirk’s leadership, the staff’s game plans, and the student-athletes abilities. I’m excited to see our team play again this weekend and feel good about our chances to end the season on a high note.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Again, xxxxx, thanks for your ongoing support for the Hawkeyes and for taking the time to voice your concern.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Go Hawks![/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Gary[/FONT]

I bet the bolded part made you more mad than the red pom poms.

I was just happy to see him say "I screwed up". There is hope. LOL!!!

and I rarely "get mad"... waste of energy. Disappointed, Disgusted, ...yeah. Mad...not so much.

Here's drummer when he noticed he got a response from Barta:
giphy.gif

Here's drummer when Barta admitted it was a bad idea:
GEORDIEFACE.gif

Here's drummer when Barta said he still supports Ferentz:

tumblr_m50gelf3kB1qj3ir1.gif

Here's drummer when he noticed he got a response from Barta:
giphy.gif

Here's drummer when Barta admitted it was a bad idea:
GEORDIEFACE.gif

Here's drummer when Barta said he still supports Ferentz:

2Q==

I'm smarter than everybody who's ever been on MTV. So that doesn't work :D

Agreed, it's nice to see them admit they were wrong with the pom-pom thing.

Regarding the "I have faith in our coaching staff and student athletes", Barta is not going to reply to those emails and dump all over the program, so I'm sure that's a stock "Go Hawks!" type of answer. I'm sure you would have gotten similar responses in regards to the hoops program the week before Todd Lickliter was fired.

Barta admitting he was wrong is a far cry from telling the bare face lies he used to tell in his email responses. That's progress, I suppose.

I like how he manned up and admitted that he made a mistake and took accountability for it, but think you can respond and ask why in the world he has confidence in a game plan that nets just over 3 ppg in the 2nd half of B10 games? F'n pathetic...

I like how he manned up and admitted that he made a mistake and took accountability for it, but think you can respond and ask why in the world he has confidence in a game plan that nets just over 3 ppg in the 2nd half of B10 games? F'n pathetic...

Yep. Had me...and lost me.

Could you give me Barta's E-Mail. I tried to E=Mail him about Iowa BB not on TV, but the address did not work. Thanks for any help.

I respect him for admitting the mistake. That's actually great leadership there. It sounds as though they are working to improve the game day atmosphere at Kinnick, which is great to hear.

His comments about this 2013 team, the ability of the coaches and Kirk's leadership tell me that Kirk is still in the "can't do any wrong" zone with Gary Barta.

I respect him for admitting the mistake. That's actually great leadership there. It sounds as though they are working to improve the game day atmosphere at Kinnick, which is great to hear.

His comments about this 2013 team, the ability of the coaches and Kirk's leadership tell me that Kirk is still in the "can't do any wrong" zone with Gary Barta.

You realize that your second paragraph contradicts the first?

Thanks Drummer for voicing and sharing. I'm guessing you kept your note to a minimum based on his response to you. I commend you in your courage to "out" the AD on a bonehead decision (as well as Barta's subsequent assuming blame), and can only imagine the "restraint" it took for you to hold back a whole quagmire of questions surrounding other decisions the AD is responsible for. So, now that you have GB's personal attention,....;)

$16 million will make sure he's in that zone for a while.

yeah because the professional thing for him to do would be to blast KF and the team to a random fan. that's the kind of AD i want at the University of Iowa