I have an issue with the all-star game.

Hawkize1

I will preface this with the fact I'm a Kansas City Royals fan.
My beef is this: Here is a team KC that is #1 in team avg in all the major leagues. They are #26 in pitching out of 30 teams.
Yet they get 1 obligitory player on the all star team and guess what he's a pitcher, and he didn't get in the game.
I'm beginning to hate the all star biases. I mean c'mon #1 in team avg yet no-position player made the squad?
Raw Deal!
Small market teams get the shaft all the time. When the hell is baseball going to wise up and bring in a salary cap. I'm tired of my team being dismissed before the season even starts.
I would probably watch more and go to more games if this system of buying players, and he who has the most money wins (See Yankees)was fixed.

You do realize that average is one of the most over rated stats in baseball right?

What other stat do you consider when looking at a teams hitting prowess?
Because MLB stats under hitting brings AVG in first.

When players are at the plate what's the first stat you see? average? then RBI's?

Tell Ted Williams (if he wasn't dead) that his .406 doesn't mean anything, because that stat is over-rated.

And tell anyone who's ever been close to hitting .400 in a season, that average is over-rated.

Good luck with that!

Butler or Dejesus probably Butler.

When players are at the plate what's the first stat you see? average? then RBI's?

Tell Ted Williams (if he wasn't dead) that his .406 doesn't mean anything, because that stat is over-rated.

And tell anyone who's ever been close to hitting .400 in a season, that average is over-rated.

Good luck with that!

OPS then OBP. Both are better ways to measure a team's offensive prowess. The Royals might be first in average but where are they in runs scored? RBIs are probably the most overrated stat though.

Good luck with that!

Which player does he deserve to replace?

The correct answer is there is no "best" stat, but AVG in itself is one of the worst. For example, who had a better first half, Billy Butler and his 322 BA or Albert Pujols with his his 308 BA?

Big poppy could have been replaced, the start of the year for him was horrid. Granted he has been better lately, but Butler has had a good year (all year). Boston already had Lester as a representative. Yeah, I don't care take Soria off the squad I don't think he has been having a great year, good but not great.

I also have an issue with the all star game, but it's not what you said. The thing I don't like is the fact that people booed some of the players when they were announceing the lineups. Sure, there are rivalries in baseball, but at the all star game it is supposed to be teams coming together and those players are better than any of the people in the stands could ever be. For some players its a once in a lifetime opportunity and they get booed...doesn't make any sense.

Butler or Guillen could have replaced Soria it didn't have to be Bautista.

Actually it probably wouldve had to replace Bautista because the AL only had 13 pitchers and they would not go to 12

Face it....KC doesnt really have anybody deserving of the All star nod. Especially if youre going to replace Bautista (the league leader in home runs)

Big poppy could have been replaced, the start of the year for him was horrid. Granted he has been better lately, but Butler has had a good year (all year). Boston already had Lester as a representative. Yeah, I don't care take Soria off the squad I don't think he has been having a great year, good but not great.

Butler has a higher average but Papi has him beat in everything else

I think your point about smaller market teams getting the shaft is true though...if its between Butler and Papi, Butler is going to lose that decision everytime

Players putting up numbers should take precedence over names.
A Rod was there didn't play? Are you telling me Arod doesn't play if he's healthy? I think A-Rod was held out of the game for a reason, there would have been a perfect opportunity to bring in a player that actually could have played.
This whole thing with Baseball stinks.
Honestly I feel like being a fan of a small market team, is an open invitation to being kicked in the Jimmies all the time.
Salary Cap is needed ASAP!

I really feel like Soria was KC's only all star. Leading the league in saves is enough for him to get my vote.

Players putting up numbers should take precedence over names.
A Rod was there didn't play? Are you telling me Arod doesn't play if he's healthy? I think A-Rod was held out of the game for a reason, there would have been a perfect opportunity to bring in a player that actually could have played.
This whole thing with Baseball stinks.
Honestly I feel like being a fan of a small market team, is an open invitation to being kicked in the Jimmies all the time.
Salary Cap is needed ASAP!
Something, OK everything, tells me you don't know a whole lot about baseball.

Plenty of ASGs are played with players who never make an appearance. It's not often that a player of A-Rod's stature is left out, but it's hardly unprecedented. Had Ortiz not been thrown out at 2nd, I'd bet a pretty penny A-Rod would have been put in his place to run.

Butler over Ortiz is a silly argument. Ortiz is having a much better year offensively and was brought as a DH. What 1B should he replace? Konerko is also having a much better year than Butler, and Wigginton pretty much had to be there since the entire Orioles team is terrible yet the rules state they need a representative. Had he been chosen along with another Oriole, your point is somewhat valid. Which outfielder would DeJesus replace considering all of those selected are having better seasons?

While baseball doesn't have a salary cap, they do have a luxury tax and revenue sharing. For example, your Royals probably get $30-40 MILLION per season given to them because they are a small market team. The Royals biggest problem is that Dayton Moore has proven to be a terrible General Manager.

Latest posts