I have a few thoughts as this season runs to a close..

You must be thinking of someone else I've only recently been posting. No probs here. Just out of curiosity tho can you give me an example of good clock management this year. I have been trying to think of one and cant

IU and PU we scored TD's in the last 30 seconds of the half in both those games. And as a general rule I wasn't to put out by any clock issues this year. I'm not a hey you got to huck it up if there is ANY time on the clock kind of guy.

And stupidly how could I forget Pitt, they worked the clock beautifully in that game.

Chad

IU and PU we scored TD's in the last 30 seconds of the half in both those games. And as a general rule I wasn't to put out by any clock issues this year. I'm not a hey you got to huck it up if there is ANY time on the clock kind of guy.

And stupidly how could I forget Pitt, they worked the clock beautifully in that game.

Chad

The PU game was us running our normal offense with no hurry at all. It just worked out that we scored with 30 seconds left. We didn't do anything to hurry up or to run more time off the clock so there was no management involved with that one. The IU game was actually bad clock management. We picked up 9 yards on a 1st and 10. That would have been a perfect time to use our 1 timeout we had left. But instead we hurried to the line, let 20 seconds run off the clock, then called our timeout. It was pretty ugly but it ended up not mattering because Mcnutt go open and scored anyway. Calling that good clock management would be the same as calling the Capital One Bowl good clock management. The Pitt game works although we never really ran an actual 2 minute drill

The PU game was us running our normal offense with no hurry at all. It just worked out that we scored with 30 seconds left. We didn't do anything to hurry up or to run more time off the clock so there was no management involved with that one. The IU game was actually bad clock management. We picked up 9 yards on a 1st and 10. That would have been a perfect time to use our 1 timeout we had left. But instead we hurried to the line, let 20 seconds run off the clock, then called our timeout. It was pretty ugly but it ended up not mattering because Mcnutt go open and scored anyway. Calling that good clock management would be the same as calling the Capital One Bowl good clock management. The Pitt game works although we never really ran an actual 2 minute drill

Cleary you remember that better than I do so I wont argue with you, but to trivialize the Pitt game seems odd to me and I was very pleased with scoring two TDs in the final 3 minutes vs IU and quite franlky I'm just as pleased with them not leaving time as well.

Chad

Cleary you remember that better than I do so I wont argue with you, but to trivialize the Pitt game seems odd to me and I was very pleased with scoring two TDs in the final 3 minutes vs IU and quite franlky I'm just as pleased with them not leaving time as well.

Chad

Had to check the dvr :) I wasn't meaning to trivialize the Pitt game at all. I was just saying it doesn't really go with the 2 minute drill is all. In hindsight it was nice to leave no time on the clock in the IU game but it doesn't change the fact that this staff doesn't know when to use a time out. I hope you don't think i'm getting into a pi**ing match with you cause that's not what i'm intending to do at all. Just having a convo :):cool:

Had to check the dvr :) I wasn't meaning to trivialize the Pitt game at all. I was just saying it doesn't really go with the 2 minute drill is all. In hindsight it was nice to leave no time on the clock in the IU game but it doesn't change the fact that this staff doesn't know when to use a time out. I hope you don't think i'm getting into a pi**ing match with you cause that's not what i'm intending to do at all. Just having a convo :):cool:

Not at all PC, not at all. I've really enjoyed the dialogue I've had on here the past couple days and quite frankly I've never had a problem with someone disagreeing with me or making a statement that is well versed and insightful. I wont always agree, but if we can see each others view and I do see yours, I can move forward. Often times people refuse to understand "why" it was done and although I don't necessarily agree with every coaching decision. For the most part I get "why" and I imagine you do as well. To blindly criticize just because you are mad is futile and honestly destructive in my opinion.

On a side tangent, because I've thought of this since the game, with no one to really dialogue with.... You know how sometimes we as fans get to talking about a game and it being a give me win (very few of those anymore nationally but especially with us, right...:() and then someone invariably says we shouldn't talk like that (I don't for the record as I despise it) and someone follows with..."why it doesn't affect how the team plays...."

Well leading up to that Minne game I kept seeing headlines on sites (the gazette) saying "Twin results unlikely" and "Iowa to face a defenseless foe" which is just another reason why I avoid these sites or reading much of anything Iowa related leading up to the next weeks game (I know I'm odd).......and it made my heart jump. And I say to you, if we as journalist and fans are ready to hand a game to a team is it that big a leap to think that the players would be just as susceptible no matter how hard the coaches warn against it....!?!

I ask here and out of the blue because I am really interested on the input from those that have posted in this thread and for some reason it just popped back in my head....

Chad

Last edited:
Yea its not like the players live in caves. They hear what everyone is saying and its human nature to not be in a game 100 percent when everyone around you thinks the game is already won.

Latest posts