I hated this and so did Fran

1hawkeye1

I was not a fan of the way we defended MN at the end of that game. Fran said the same in the BTN postgame with Shonn Morris. He wasn't real specific about it, though.

I thought we should have used Dickerson in that situation as he is by far the quickest guy on the team. He and Clemmons double team their speedy pt guard. Then put Woodbury on their inbounder. I was stunned and yelling at the TV to guard the inbounder but alas, no.

But to just let the guy get the pass and dribble the length of the floor??? That was weak D, real weak.

I don't think you try to deny the inbound pass. The goal isn't to keep them from throwing the ball in and getting a 5 second call. You need the extra defending down around the lane. I wished we would have just had 2 guys man v man defending the 2 guards, and then 3 down around the lane. My problem was just how easy it was to get to the rim instead of forcing him to pull up and take a jump shot.

Sticking Dickerson in at that point would be difficult with him sitting so long. I am not a fan of guarding the inbounder when he can run the baseline. if he cant move then yes, guard it. Plus with3.7 seconds left, dribbling the court was an option. If you are at under 2 seconds then we are looking at a longer pass on the inbounds.

Maybe throw out the 3/4 court 1-3-1? Drop your weakside wing way back almost more like a 1-2-2.

I don't think you try to deny the inbound pass. The goal isn't to keep them from throwing the ball in and getting a 5 second call. You need the extra defending down around the lane. I wished we would have just had 2 guys man v man defending the 2 guards, and then 3 down around the lane. My problem was just how easy it was to get to the rim instead of forcing him to pull up and take a jump shot.

I knew they were going to run that curl in the backcourt and hit one of the guards on the fly.

Dean has it right that you need to not guard the inbound passer but try to make them pass to a screener. Minny had one screener in the backcourt. Sapp was a half step late cutting off their guard.

If that guard gets the ball with speed you need to try to double team him and divert him at half court or make him pass.

It sure looked like Gabe was going to grab the guy thinking we had a 3 point lead. Wow.

Yeah, it's best to try to keep their guards from getting it with momentum going toward the basket. Keep them in front of you. Easier said than done. Once he beat our defender to the sideline I thought, oh crap. Thankfully we contested the shot at the rim, otherwise he doesn't double clutch the layup and we go OT.

Sticking Dickerson in at that point would be difficult with him sitting so long. I am not a fan of guarding the inbounder when he can run the baseline. if he cant move then yes, guard it. Plus with3.7 seconds left, dribbling the court was an option. If you are at under 2 seconds then we are looking at a longer pass on the inbounds.

Maybe throw out the 3/4 court 1-3-1? Drop your weakside wing way back almost more like a 1-2-2.

There were only 3.5 seconds left. Dickerson wouldn't be at the point. Put him in the game and say, "Your man does not get the ball. If he does, don't foul him"

I would still guard the inbounder to make the pass more difficult. That puts 2 guys on their PG. 1 on the inbounder and you still have Olaseni and White protecting the basket.

Oh well, all's well that ends well, I guess. I expected us to be 1-4 at this point so I'm thrilled:cool:

I was just worried about the cheap foul or the kickout 3 pointer for the win. I was kind of expecting it to go overtime for some reason, but I felt decent about it since both of their big guys had 4 fouls and Uthoff was asserting his will against their much smaller defenders.

I was not a fan of the way we defended MN at the end of that game. Fran said the same in the BTN postgame with Shonn Morris. He wasn't real specific about it, though.

I thought we should have used Dickerson in that situation as he is by far the quickest guy on the team. He and Clemmons double team their speedy pt guard. Then put Woodbury on their inbounder. I was stunned and yelling at the TV to guard the inbounder but alas, no.

But to just let the guy get the pass and dribble the length of the floor??? That was weak D, real weak.

Classic Tom Davis put the 7 footer on the inbounder, get the press started, the traps(double teams) in the corner.

I was hoping they'd deny that little guy from getting the ball. Let any other player of theirs try and do what he did. That was exactly what they wanted and just a tenth of a second a way from going to OT.... Nobody else on their team could have done what he did with the speed he has. That kid in 3 seconds went 3/4s of the court easily. I'd have rather had em heave up a contested jumper then have what happened. Just too dang close for comfort.

I knew they were going to run that curl in the backcourt and hit one of the guards on the fly.

Dean has it right that you need to not guard the inbound passer but try to make them pass to a screener. Minny had one screener in the backcourt. Sapp was a half step late cutting off their guard.

If that guard gets the ball with speed you need to try to double team him and divert him at half court or make him pass.

It sure looked like Gabe was going to grab the guy thinking we had a 3 point lead. Wow.

This. Fran told Dolph that Sapp was late.

Biggest head scratcher on that was White denying the guard at free throw line as he actually encouraged the pass at 3/4court vs playing behind and making them go full court

I'm just glad to escape w/ a "W"....heaven knows we've been in that situation before and come up empty....If he would've pulled up for 3 I guarantee that summa b*tch would've gone down and we lose by 1....Those guys c/n miss and it was everyone, Morris, Hollins, King, Matthieu...everything went down....I almost threw up in bed all over my wife....and that my friends would've been a bad evening...:D

WERKED.

No zone.

Man-to-man is the only way to go in that situation. You can't risk leaving a 3-pointer open. That is also why the ballhandler was able to make it all the way to the bucket--we weren't going to play "normal" help defense far from the basket and leave a perimeter shooter open for the W.

Again, WERKED.

Yes, I think a 1-2-2 would have been most effective. Your goal should be to get the ball-handler moving sideways so he can't get to the hoop in a straight line.

Clemmons got a little too deep and was chasing instead of keeping Mathieu in front of him and making him change direction. Once that happened, Clemmons had to let him go instead of reaching and committing a foul 70 feet from the basket in a 2 point game. Mathieu is very quick and fast too, so give him some credit. That's a tough play to guard knowing you cant touch him at the risk of getting a cheap foul.

I disagree. Make it harder to inbound the ball so they have a harder time bringing it up the court. With pressure on the inbound passer, he doesn't get a clean look to make a good pass to Mathieu (or whoever the player might be). Mathieu then doesn't catch the ball in stride and begin heading to the frontcourt. It takes longer to come down the floor and is harder to get into a rhythm. By allowing the inbound pass to be so easy, the inbounder can get the ball to the guard in stride and in a position where the guard doesn't have to worry about a turnover (travel because a player is too close, too close to the side line, etc) and can immediately concentrate on getting the ball to the frontcourt.

I've seen too many games lost (from junior high level to the NBA) by not pressuring the inbound passer. When I was at Wartburg we lost an NCAA tournament game to Augustana for that very reason. (Coach always said he made a mistake with that decision)

Plays such as that one are basically won or lost at the time the inbounds pass was made. Once Mathieu was able to catch the ball already moving toward his basket with no one directly in front of him, it was going to be very difficult to stop him from at least getting a shot off. Clemmons is caught trailing and unable to cut him off at the sideline. He could have pressed it further, but then he's in danger of fouling a good free throw shooter 60 feet from the basket. At that point, it's a difficult choice for the other defenders to just leave their men and stop the ball. That leaves a 3-point shooter open at the arc, which can lose you the game. Olaseni was the only other guy with a legitimate chance to redirect Mathieu, but he couldn't manage to do it. As it was, Gesell's decision to at least fly in front of Mathieu (but not foul) at the rim was the difference between getting the shot off in time or not.

I thought Iowa lined up properly to defend the play. Clemmons needed to make sure that Mathieu didn't catch the ball moving toward the Minnesota basket. Easier said than done with a guy of Mathieu's speed. Sometimes end of games are luck. Sometimes it's good execution. Sometimes it's both.