I don't understand this trend of playing QBs who can't pass

hawkinn3

Indiana today is a prime example. Also, that OSU NEB game a few weeks ago where both teams started guys who can't throw the ball.

I realize that having a guy who can run is nice but I always thought it was a weapon on top of being able to sling the ball around.

Cam Newton last year was a great example, he could pull it down and run but he was a great pocket passer first and foremost.

Roberson was 16/24 for 196. I actually thought he threw pretty accurately, especially on the short timing routes that give guys like Martinez and D-Rob trouble.

Cam Newton last year was a great example, he could pull it down and run but he was a great pocket passer first and foremost.

lol, you lose any credibility with this statement. Yes I have been very impressed by his passing this year in the NFL but.....

Last year his game was I am bigger and faster than anyone else on the field so I am going to run over or around the other team then because of this I will throw to wide open recievers/tight ends, etc.

Thanks for the laugh though

He certainly had all day to get comfortable and just sit there and wait for an open receiver. I think Norm forgot that our front four are supposed to put pressure on the QB and when they can't you do something else to disrupt the QB...not Norm. The QB didn't have to worry about a blitz all day and rarely had to worry about any pressure. Iowa is a very easy team to prepar for, especially this year. Watch one Iowa game and you know exactly what is coming...you know exactly what Iowa is going to do on defense...unfortunately for Iowa, the defense is so bad they can't stop anyone...

And THIS was one of the worst offenses in the Big 10 and perhaps one of the worst in the BCS. Iowa as usual made the opposing players look like all stars.

Michigan will put up 35 or 40 points by half against this defense. There is absolutely no way Iowa can stop Michigan (and probably MSU and NE) with the defense and the style of defense that Iowa is using.

We just have to hope the other team self-destructs over and over again and even then the defense will give up huge points to a good team. We also have to hope that the Iowa coaches just turn the offense loose and try to score as quick as we can and as often as we can. To beat Michigan, MSU, and NE, Iowa is going to need to put more than 45 on the board and even that might not be enough.

He certainly had all day to get comfortable and just sit there and wait for an open receiver. I think Norm forgot that our front four are supposed to put pressure on the QB and when they can't you do something else to disrupt the QB...not Norm. The QB didn't have to worry about a blitz all day and rarely had to worry about any pressure. Iowa is a very easy team to prepar for, especially this year. Watch one Iowa game and you know exactly what is coming...you know exactly what Iowa is going to do on defense...unfortunately for Iowa, the defense is so bad they can't stop anyone...

And THIS was one of the worst offenses in the Big 10 and perhaps one of the worst in the BCS. Iowa as usual made the opposing players look like all stars.

Michigan will put up 35 or 40 points by half against this defense. There is absolutely no way Iowa can stop Michigan (and probably MSU and NE) with the defense and the style of defense that Iowa is using.

We just have to hope the other team self-destructs over and over again and even then the defense will give up huge points to a good team. We also have to hope that the Iowa coaches just turn the offense loose and try to score as quick as we can and as often as we can. To beat Michigan, MSU, and NE, Iowa is going to need to put more than 45 on the board and even that might not be enough.

So many posts that I just can't wait to bump in a few weeks.

And if they're right?

I'm fairly confident that Michigan will not put up 35 points in one half. Call me a homer, I guess.

But if they're right, congratulations. It's not like the skeptics are reluctant to post their opinions, so I'm sure we'll all know about it.

lol, you lose any credibility with this statement. Yes I have been very impressed by his passing this year in the NFL but.....

Last year his game was I am bigger and faster than anyone else on the field so I am going to run over or around the other team then because of this I will throw to wide open recievers/tight ends, etc.

How does he lose credibility? Newton had the ability all along. Just because no one in college football could force him to have to read defenses and such doesn't mean he wasn't a great passer.

The fact that he's still throwing well in the NFL, where his running ability isn't on display as much as it was at Auburn, is proof of that.

Robinson isn't money even when guys are wide open, and Martinez is AWFUL.

Michigan and Nebraska aren't the elite offenses everyone is trying to claim them to be.

Actually you should do better research before throwing out the credibility card.

Cam at Auburn completed 66% of his passes for 2,800 yards. Threw 30 Touchdown passes and only threw 7 picks. You ripping that?? He has a very good arm.

The OP said Cam was a pocket passer first last year. Which obviously is not true.

I never said he didn't have a good arm, he obviously does but there was a reason some people questioned his ability to succeed in the NFL. That reason was he never really had to be a pocket passer in college because his run threat always brought the majority of the D up. In the NFL players like Urlacher and Julius Peppers are just as big as him and just as fast.

And please do not use the completion % as a reason for him being a pocket passer in college. There are many reasons for that such as 8 guys in the box because of his run threat, type of offense etc.

I am not saying Cam is a bad passer/NFL quarterback, I have been very impressed when I have seem him play this year. But he WAS NOT a pocket passer first last year. He didnt have to nor should he have been by the way. He was unstoppable.

I am sick and tired of this mobile QB trend. It's the Michael Vick effect. Colleges have been recruiting kids with more emphasis on being mobile, than on passing accuracy. It looks flat out embarrassing unless you have one with a decent arm i.e. Cam Newton.

I am sick and tired of this mobile QB trend. It's the Michael Vick effect. Colleges have been recruiting kids with more emphasis on being mobile, than on passing accuracy. It looks flat out embarrassing unless you have one with a decent arm i.e. Cam Newton.

There are only so many good throwing QB's who have the ability to also read a defense. I'm not surprised schools build an offense around that strategy. Plus, it's not like option football (i.e an offense centered around a running QB) is anything new.

Last edited:
The OP said Cam was a pocket passer first last year. Which obviously is not true.

I never said he didn't have a good arm, he obviously does but there was a reason some people questioned his ability to succeed in the NFL. That reason was he never really had to be a pocket passer in college because his run threat always brought the majority of the D up. In the NFL players like Urlacher and Julius Peppers are just as big as him and just as fast.

And please do not use the completion % as a reason for him being a pocket passer in college. There are many reasons for that such as 8 guys in the box because of his run threat, type of offense etc.

I am not saying Cam is a bad passer/NFL quarterback, I have been very impressed when I have seem him play this year. But he WAS NOT a pocket passer first last year. He didnt have to nor should he have been by the way. He was unstoppable.

He didn't HAVE to be a pocket passer. But to say he wasn't is wrong. How do you know he wasn't a good pocket passer? Just because he didn't have to be doesn't mean he wasn't decent at it.

I have seen him be a pretty decent pocket passer this year. He isn't the best out of the pocket, but he is damn serviceable and I would take him on the Chiefs this year no doubt.

Perhaps the OP didn't phrase it correctly, but he was still right. What made Newton so dangerous as compared to Robinson or Martinez was his ability as a passer. To be a great quarterback, you have to be able to actually pass. If you force those two to throw it instead of run the ball, they're screwed. Newton could beat you no matter what you did.

The guys like Martinez aren't quarterbacks. They're undersized running backs with a nice title.

Latest posts