I don't understand the "we can't expect more" mentality

Sometimes players get the yips and there is nothing a coach can do about it. There are some extreme cases of it. I'm pros and college. Gesell didn't come off as "unclutch" at all his freshman year. He developed it and it got worse. Last year the most unclutch player on the team was Jok. Now you might say Fran's coaching style makes players unclutch, and it is possible. But I say Jok was part of the teams that couldn't close out games and that's what caused him to choke late.

I am fine debating whether it's a player or a coach who loses close games. But that's not why I brought it up. My point was to tell you why I think like I do. It isn't about being ok with average, or being afraid of change. It's about me having a higher opinion of Fran than ones who think he cost us all those close games.
I honestly don’t know what head games happen at Iowa, but I no longer think it is a coincidence that we seem to be one of the weakest minded teams around. I think a few players here and there is random, but consistently having that is a reflection on the coach.

I honestly don’t know what head games happen at Iowa, but I no longer think it is a coincidence that we seem to be one of the weakest minded teams around. I think a few players here and there is random, but consistently having that is a reflection on the coach.

I think whenever teams lose, their fans call them weak minded. For the most part, it was one team that had that problem. That one team is half of our evidence tho. I'm curious if his past teams had those issues with players struggling under pressure.

Come on. That might be true to an extent, and that makes it a valid point. But it only happened with those teams. We were fine closing out games before those players, and we were fine last year. We had so many unforced turnovers to lose games I can't even remember them all. Woody was a good rebounder. He quit rebounding with one minute left. So many replays of Woody standing there watching a shot go up late and giving up the offensive rebound.

There is a lot of truth to your post tho and it softens my stance on the subject some.
I don't think it only happened with those teams. The defense last season and this season is non existent. I think the teams that were close to being good, had better athletes, that allowed them to play a little defense. Last year's and this year's teams lack athletic ability to go with their lack of defensive effort. Which is why we have what we have.

I don't think it only happened with those teams. The defense last season and this season is non existent. I think the teams that were close to being good, had better athletes, that allowed them to play a little defense. Last year's and this year's teams lack athletic ability to go with their lack of defensive effort. Which is why we have what we have.
I didn't mean lack of defense. I mean choking away close games. They made more positive plays in a double overtime loss to Nebraska than the previous 3 years combined.

I agree. I don't think Fran will bring us down farther than this year. In my opinion, we will be going up again starting next year and even more the next. But like I said earlier, I'm ok if he doesn't get that chance.
No shit Sherlock. You're basically taking 2 wins vs. the field. The only way he could do worse is 0 or 1 wins. Not a bold prediction. I think the next thing I eat will taste better than the turd I just ate. I think the next post I respond to will be less dumb than this one. Not a high bar.

No shit Sherlock. You're basically taking 2 wins vs. the field. The only way he could do worse is 0 or 1 wins. Not a bold prediction. I think the next thing I eat will taste better than the turd I just ate. I think the next post I respond to will be less dumb than this one. Not a high bar.

I wish I would've bookmarked the thread, but PC said in a different discussion that his main reason for contributing is to play Devil's advocate. His passion for Hawkeye sports pales in comparison to his passion for pointless debate.

At least football has some success to hold onto.

You do realize that Kirk has produced a ranked team ONCE in the entire time Fran has been HC at Iowa.
Ya can't give out lifetime contracts based on the Barta standard. It's a recipe for irrelevancy.

You do realize that Kirk has produced a ranked team ONCE in the entire time Fran has been HC at Iowa.
Ya can't give out lifetime contracts based on the Barta standard. It's a recipe for irrelevancy.
I agree that Ferentz isn’t worth what Barta pays him because Barta is an idiot. My problem is just when people compare Fran to Ferentz

I agree that Ferentz isn’t worth what Barta pays him because Barta is an idiot. My problem is just when people compare Fran to Ferentz

I agree with you that one is better than the other. Of course I also am of the opinion that both have done as much as they can do for the school and it's time to bring in new blood.

Iowa has inept AD leadership...

Iowa FB and BB is boring and unwatchable quite often...

Iowa is in the black...$$$

There's your answer...

When a team is under talented emotional flatness happens unless you are close on talent.

That said most of us wouldnt do well with a screaming chair abusing boss.

Did you even read the post I quoted. He said "if you wait too long, we end up back to where we started". That quote doesn't insinuate he thinks the program will move up next year, and more the year after. Do people really not understand that you need to look at the quoted post to get perspective? I thought that was common sense.

3 of this 4 things go back to coaching.

They did fine at those things for 38 minutes a game. That's coaching. When they completely screw up everything in the last 2 minutes, that's players. In my opinion.

I eluded a bit to this in an earlier post. But during that 3 or 4 year stretch, the amount of positive plays the team made in the last 2 minutes was almost non existent. During the Temple game, Clemmons got a steal for a layup, and Woody had the push in the back rebound tip in at the end. That is 2 positive plays. There wasn't much more than a handful over a 4 year span in 50/50 games with a couple minutes left. But there was an extraordinary amount of negative plays. Last year, there was an average amount of negative plays and an average amount of positive plays (which is a ridiculous improvement over the previous years with different players.

That said, is it because these kids are new under Fran and they haven't learned how to choke yet? I guess that's very possible. That's why I wondered if he had that problem at other schools. Like I said earlier, Gesell came in his freshman year and didn't look bad at all at the end of games. Maybe that's a sign that Fran ruined him over time. I personally think missing those free throws against ISU his sophomore year ruined him. I also find it hard to believe he can suck the "clutch" out of a player, while at the same time turning them into 1st team all conference players.

One thing is for certain.
Us rank amateurs aren't allowed to expect more than mediocrity. But our coaches are given kudos for expecting $$$$$$$$$$$ far above their performance.
This board is helping me to understand more and more each day how we ended up with the swamp.

Us rank amateurs aren't allowed to expect more than mediocrity. But our coaches are given kudos for expecting $$$$$$$$$$$ far above their performance.
This board is helping me to understand more and more each day how we ended up with the swamp.

Aren't allowed to expect more? Did Rob or Jon tell you they were going to ban you if you didn't stop expecting more?

No crap! The worst part is that Gary Barta has consistently raised ticket prices, while effectively lowered expectations. And people here actually defend the guy!!!!!!!!

Latest posts