I can't say our punting yesterday was an upgrade...at least not yet

EMik21

Was anyone else underwhelmed by our punting yesterday? I thought Kidd was supposed to have a strong leg on him, yet UNI was able to return a couple for positive yards. Hang time was lacking and wind was no way a factor in the stadium.

In the 4th quarter we took that delay of game penalty to give Kidd more room and the best he could do was barely get it inside the 20 to the 18. In close games you have to pin that opponent inside the 10.

If he doesn't have a great week of practice or a good start next week I think we may see Kornbrath.
Thoughts?

I felt the same during the game. Kidd wasn't doing anything to run away with the job. Below average performance imo. If the competition really was as close as Kirk said it was, I imagine we'll see some Kornbrath next week.

That's why I gave the kicking game an overall grade of a "c-". Also that miss on that short field goal was huge at the time because it would have put us up by seven points. We were very fortunate when UNI had a first and ten inside of our ten that they didn't score a TD to take the lead.

Also as I watched other games yesterday I just shook my head at what I saw as some teams looked like they didn't miss a beat from where they left off from the previous season. I hate to think what may have happened if we had to go up against some of those teams yesterday while our defensive back seven were in the classroom yesterday. Felt bad for the conference yesterday with wisky losing to LSU as they were dominating until LSU did that fake punt. Painful memories on that one. That's happened to us too many times.

During the punting competition, the word from the coaches was that the punters had virtually the same numbers and metrics. They are both below average. Kornbrath averaged 39.97 last year, 81st in the country. Kidd averaged 38.6 at juco.

They are known quantities, and there will be no punting miracles this year. The best thing we can do is punt it high and prevent any return yards.

During the punting competition, the word from the coaches was that the punters had virtually the same numbers and metrics. They are both below average. Kornbrath averaged 39.97 last year, 81st in the country. Kidd averaged 38.6 at juco.

They are known quantities, and there will be no punting miracles this year. The best thing we can do is punt it high and prevent any return yards.

The best thing we can do is score on every drive and not have to punt. :)

Latest posts