I Can't Imagine the Emotion of the Iowa team before the Holiday Bowl

ChosenChildren

I'm not predicting a victory, but I can guarantee you 100% that the Iowa team will play hard in this game. They will want to honor Hayden with their effort. I really believe that they will.

Fry's death will be emotional for the coaches, but I'm not sure the players will really be able to appreciate what he did for Iowa football. Maybe they will, who knows...

Heck, most of the players weren’t alive when Hayden coached his last game for Iowa. From a game standpoint, it’s probably a great distraction because there is going to be just a lot of Hawkeye pride this week and a bunch of old people sharing Fry stories and why the Hawkeyes are a special team to us. The Holiday Bowl could be a win one for the Gipper kind of game now.

Fry's death will be emotional for the coaches, but I'm not sure the players will really be able to appreciate what he did for Iowa football. Maybe they will, who knows...

Agreed. Those kids have no idea who Hayden is other than a bust on a statue and a name tossed around. It ain't like when Bear died and everyone knew him because he coached until a few months before he died.

Since Hayden's death, and for the days to come when the team has to jump on that big airplane, and before they land in Cali, each of those kids will have a good idea and appreciation of who Hayden was and what he meant to this program. I feel the spirit of Hayden will be working through every one of those young men when the ball is kicked off.

I honestly don't think it will bother them too much. About 10 days will have passed by then. It will be a bigger emotional issue with Kirk, especially if we beat USC. If we do win and they interview Kirk after the game, it will be a river of tears down Kirk's face because you know the reporter will ask him about Hayden & we know how emotional Kirk get's at times, especially after big wins.

USC will not only have to beat Kirk and the Hawkeyes. They will have to face the emotions of Hayden's Legacy. A wounded animal is waiting for them.

Well, I'm glad to be wrong about this one. Iowa's O showed up. I didn't think they would. And that was the difference. I still think that even if Slovis was not injured, the hawks could have gotten another stop or turnover... would have been very nerve wracking.