I believe this year's team will be better than last year's team

I think its all about the three ball. If JO, Jok and couple other can make teams respect the 3 then Woody, Gabe, White, and JU will take care of the rest. It all starts with making teams pay when they double down.

I think its all about the three ball. If JO, Jok and couple other can make teams respect the 3 then Woody, Gabe, White, and JU will take care of the rest. It all starts with making teams pay when they double down.

It will help having a SF on the floor that can hit an open 3. I love White, but him at the 3 was never, ever a good fit. Uthoff will knock those open shots down, and bring the D out to the perimeter. Uthoff on the floor with Jok and Ogs and a PG who can also hit the 3, this will free up space for White, Woody, and Gabe inside.

It will help having a SF on the floor that can hit an open 3. I love White, but him at the 3 was never, ever a good fit. Uthoff will knock those open shots down, and bring the D out to the perimeter. Uthoff on the floor with Jok and Ogs and a PG who can also hit the 3, this will free up space for White, Woody, and Gabe inside.

White still needs to be able to hit the three in the corner from time to time make his baseline game tough. He needs defenders closing on him quickly when he get the ball in the corner. If he does take and make those threes then they just sag and play help side on the post.

White still needs to be able to hit the three in the corner from time to time make his baseline game tough. He needs defenders closing on him quickly when he get the ball in the corner. If he does take and make those threes then they just sag and play help side on the post.

Since he isn't the 3 this year, he won't be popping out to the corner like that. In Fran's offense that is what the 3 did, White will now do more of what Basabe did last year in the offensive sets.

Uthoff needs to actually shoot the ball, last year he was way too hesitant. Before the year started I said Iowa needed two things to happen for them to be really good, Marble needed to play like a first team All-Conference player and either Gesell or Uthoff had to become a consistent double digit scorer. We knew what White would give us, Marble did what he needed to, but Gesell and Uthoff both were major let downs with neither one of them able to step in and fulfill the role as another go to scoring option. Hoping both have better years this season.

Since he isn't the 3 this year, he won't be popping out to the corner like that. In Fran's offense that is what the 3 did, White will now do more of what Basabe did last year in the offensive sets.

I think white will bring his defenders out that far. Basabe ran pick and roll out around the 3 a lot. Nobody defended him out that far. Freethrow line was Basabes shot and and I think AW has more range and stretch a little farther out. Not all the time but enought to make the defense gaurd it.

I think white will bring his defenders out that far. Basabe ran pick and roll out around the 3 a lot. Nobody defended him out that far. Freethrow line was Basabes shot and and I think AW has more range and stretch a little farther out. Not all the time but enought to make the defense gaurd it.

I wouldn't mind if White went ISU style BB and only took 3 pointers and drives to the basket. No need for him popping from 15, instead take it hard to the hole and get the foul. That is what he is best at anyway.

It isn't all about one guy creating a shot. You also need to be able to set others up as well, and get them open for shots. We can't possibly be worse finishing than we were last year, these things tend to even out. We were 2-9 in 2 possession or OT games last year. TD, MG, Jok, Uthoff can all create their own shot, or free a shooter up for an open look with a drive and dish. I'm a big stats guy, and it is almost impossible to be that bad 2 years in a row.

Techincally it did happen 2 years in a row. We were terrible in close games 2 years strait. 3 years ago we were good in close games. Good news is that makes it even less likely it will happen for a 3rd year in a row.

Peter Jok is going to make us forget about Devon Marble by the time he's done. The only reminder is that they will continue to show Roy Marble every 3 minutes on Iowa telecasts. Then we will think of Devon. Otherwise we will have forgotten all about him.

We will be better simply because "I believe". You would have had to see "The Book of Mormon" on broadway to get that. See how cultured I am.

In light of Roy's fight with cancer, I'm hoping we see him sitting in the stands for a long time. Didn't realize his illness was as serious as it is.

Heres to dunking on cancer!

I wouldn't mind if White went ISU style BB and only took 3 pointers and drives to the basket. No need for him popping from 15, instead take it hard to the hole and get the foul. That is what he is best at anyway.

I disagree. 15-17 ft range is probably where he should be shooting from. I much rather have him making shots at a 40-50% clip shooting from 15-17ft. as oppose to him jackin up shots from 3 at a 20-30% rate. OOTH is correct, you need the lane unclogged and you can do that just as easy stepping out 17ft. as you can 21 ft.

In light of Roy's fight with cancer, I'm hoping we see him sitting in the stands for a long time. Didn't realize his illness was as serious as it is.

Heres to dunking on cancer!

he isn't in good shape. Not to be Debby Downer, i hope he beats it, but he has a tough fight ahead of him.

he isn't in good shape. Not to be Debby Downer, i hope he beats it, but he has a tough fight ahead of him.

I have a friend who knows someone who had cancer really bad. I few months ago it sounded like he was all but dead. Now it sounds like it's in remission and he has a good chance. They can do some amazing things these days with cancer.

I disagree. 15-17 ft range is probably where he should be shooting from. I much rather have him making shots at a 40-50% clip shooting from 15-17ft. as oppose to him jackin up shots from 3 at a 20-30% rate. OOTH is correct, you need the lane unclogged and you can do that just as easy stepping out 17ft. as you can 21 ft.

Shooting 30% from 3 is just as good as shooting 45% from 2. Hashtag I'm a math genius.

Shooting 30% from 3 is just as good as shooting 45% from 2. Hashtag I'm a math genius.

yeah, i knew somebody would crunch the numbers. I still stand by what i said I believe he would be more effective from 15-17 ft. with the occasional 3. compared to the NBA sets where the guy with the ball is in a iso and everyone else is hanging out at the 3 pt. line. I know it works for ISU, but they have the personnel to make it work, iowa doesn't.

I have a friend who knows someone who had cancer really bad. I few months ago it sounded like he was all but dead. Now it sounds like it's in remission and he has a good chance. They can do some amazing things these days with cancer.

No doubt. Just saw some pics and read how aggressive his cancer was and just assumed he had a tough struggle ahead. You are right though, he could very well beat this.

yeah, i knew somebody would crunch the numbers. I still stand by what i said I believe he would be more effective from 15-17 ft. with the occasional 3. compared to the NBA sets where the guy with the ball is in a iso and everyone else is hanging out at the 3 pt. line. I know it works for ISU, but they have the personnel to make it work, iowa doesn't.

As good as White is at free throws it's gotta be a confidence thing with his jumper. Being a senior can naturally make someone confident. Hopefully that works for White and he drains jumpers all year long.

White only needs to become a good shooter out to 15-17 ft. That will allow him to be able to drive to the hoop on up fakes. If he wants a shot at the NBA, he needs to do this. And, if he does do this, it completely changes Iowa's chances to be really good.

I am not going to bet on White suddenly becoming an effective outside shooter. I am excited to see Peter Jok shoot the ball 12-15 times per game.

I was gonna crunch them for you, but it was already done. I really think Fred has this right as far as offensive strategy goes. Screw the 15-17 ft. jumper. For one, I'd bet you anything White doesn't hit 40-50% of them, it isn't a good % shot. It is higher % than the 3, but with the 3 you are obviously rewarded the extra point. The key to what I said though, is instead of taking a 15-17 ft. shot, drive to the bucket. White is absolutely great at drawing fouls, so now you have a really high % shot close to the basket, you could get an and 1, or you could just get 2 FT which he is also great at.

As good as White is at free throws it's gotta be a confidence thing with his jumper. Being a senior can naturally make someone confident. Hopefully that works for White and he drains jumpers all year long.

If White is hitting his jumper I'm sure he will take more shots. If White isn't hitting his shots, he has shown in the past that he isn't really a ball hog. The amound of times he shoots will probably be dependent upon how the team is shooting as a whole. Hopefully, the guards, Uthoff and Uhl will have good years from the outside. I already know White can score from inside, and hopefully, the same will be true for Woodbury and Olesani. Iowa should be a lot more powerful offensively this year. The season starts in a couple of weeks so I guess we will find out soon how the team looks.

Latest posts